Opinions on England Please.

Old Jun 20th 2009, 3:46 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on England Please.

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Alll I here about England form English people. They all tell me it gone to the dog. It now almost a police state. Crime is out of control and people are being stab everywhere. I believe non of it. So what has change I haven't been back in 10 years. I intend to go for a holiday and see my family and have a good explore of my homeland. Tell me it's not gone to the dogs. What has change in England why is everyone so concern about safety.
I too wondered if Essex Man is a true Brit. Use of English seems to be a challenge. Looks suspiciously like a troll thread.

I do think UK has changed, not in the last 10 years or so, but in the last 30 years or so.

I worked in Schools for 21 years before moving o/seas. In that time I saw more selfishness and demanding of rights without responsibilities from both the children and their parents. I saw lots of children who were left to roam and free graze at nights rather than being encouraged to be with the family. I taught children who were violent both in and out of school. Some literally went on to become killers.

I realise there were probably people like this prior to the 70's, but I dont think there were as many.

There were also lots of children who were the opposite - thoughtful, mature, considerate who had supportive and caring parents.

However to clarify my position, I too think the UK is a beautiful country with lots of diverse culture to experience and enjoy. You just have to be careful how and where you enjoy it. I love coming back to visit and do eventually plan to return soon.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm British and have been living in Australia for about 20 years, but go back once a year for a holiday and always have a good time and feel reasonably safe (provided I am careful and don't go out to city centres at night, football matches, or noisy bars / nightclubs, which I have no desire to do anyway).

For many years I've been wanting to move back but some things have put me off.

I now see Britain neither through rose-tinted glasses, or daily express glasses. I think I can give an honest and objective point of view of how it really is.

The way I see it, in rural Britain very little has changed for many years. Only trouble is not many jobs without long commutes and that is very very expensive.

In urban areas of Britain there is a lot more crime than I see in Australia and it is sometimes very visible, not just in the papers. Again though if you keep your wits about you and don't go to risky places unless you're willing to take a risk, then it's still fairly safe in the majority of places, most of the time. I won't pretend it's anything like perfect though because honestly it's not. It saddens me as a proud Englishman to admit that but it's the truth. (while I was in UK recently there was a murder in a pub at the end of the street where my Aunt and Uncle live. I've been in that pub many times and always considered their house was in a nice enough area, so I cant deny that crime is around and affecting real people including those I love).

However, whichst there are problems, and there is some truth to most of what is in the news, there's no doubt in my mind that the British media makes things sound a hell of a lot worse than they really are. They have a lot to answer for.

I would strongly recommend ignoring it. Don't read the papers because they're extremely depressing and that doesn't help anyone.

There are a ridiculous number of speed cameras on the roads. I don't speed though so that doesn't bother me. If they manage to raise some much needed funds for the government by fining those who do speed, that's a good thing as long as they spend it in ways that will benefit the majority of British people.

Unfortunately they don't. I have very little faith in the competency of the British government I'm afraid which is another thing that puts me off moving home. Again I wish that weren't the case but I'm just being honest and admitting that it is.

Petrol and houses are both ludicrously overpriced in Britain compared to Australia, even though both have fallen in price significantly in the last year.

The political and economic situation in Britain right now is not good at all and a solution doesn't seem likely anytime soon either.

Sorry, but again I see no point saying it's all wonderful on this forum as I would not want to think someone might decide to go and live there on the basis of such statements. I think it's only right that I say it how it really is.

BUT, there are still many wonderful things about Britain and overall it can still be a very good place to live. Just pick the right area and with hard work and good luck you can have a brilliant life there.

The food, in my opinion, knocks Australias food offering off the planet. I'm talking about the food in supermarkets and the food in restaurants and pubs. A million times better than in Australia and in my opinion probably better than anything I've tasted anywhere in the world (and I have travelled a lot).

There is so many tourist attractions in Britain and nearby in Europe that nobody could possibly hope to do everything in a lifetime.

The British sense of humour is wonderful and genuinely funny and meaningful, not like the shallow and pathetic attempt at humour I see in Australia and from America.

In many areas, especially rural areas, there is a very strong sense of community and most of the people really care. That's another thing I don't see in Australia.

British education is probably amongst the best in the world, for the most part. There are some terrible schools too but they can be avoided I'm sure.

The British countryside offers an incredible choice of scenery and activities that can't be matched anywhere else in the world, in my opinion. The lake district and parts of Scotland and Wales in particular.

The history of Britain, although not always something to be proud of, is certainly fascinating to anyone with any appreciation of history at all. This can be readily experienced in any of Britains many wonderful museums, and even in ordinary places such as the hundreds of very old churches, pubs, shops etc.

Christmas in Britain is an amazing and very special experience, especially if it snows!

I'm sure there's many other good and bad things about Britain today too, but that's a few off the top of my head.

I might mention too that Britain has got talent, and lots of it! Hence the reason the TV show "Britain's Got Talent" is followed by many people all over the world, not just in Britain. Watching that show and comparing it to Americas Got Talent or Australias Got Talent quickly proves my point. Many British people are incredibly talented and that's something that actually makes me really proud to be British.

Last edited by backagen; Jun 20th 2009 at 10:38 am.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I too wondered if Essex Man is a true Brit. Use of English seems to be a challenge. Looks suspiciously like a troll thread.
Me a troll? No I'm not a troll. I'm true brit. Born In St Marys Paddington. I grew up Aveley Essex. I'm slightly dyslexic. But I'm not some thicko troll LOL. Just because you have been poorly educated doesn't mean your stupid although most people when I went to school thought I was. Dyslexic was seen as laziness and stupidity. So I was given the boot at 8, then I was sent to a special school. When I left school I was unable to barely read and write. Boo hoo who cares. I'm self taught now. I've never let my education stop me for doing what I do. I have always been very successful at what I do. Canada has been really good to me in that regard. Because it so easy to make money and own business and become very wealthy. Not like England which is lot harder...at least for me.

I find that the problem on the net. You are dismiss purely on the way you type. just like your doing now. No worries. I'm used to it.

Anyway the point of the thread was to hear from true brits about Britain.

Originally Posted by backagen
I'm British and have been living in Australia for about 20 years, but go back once a year for a holiday and always have a good time and feel reasonably safe (provided I am careful and don't go out to city centres at night, football matches, or noisy bars / nightclubs, which I have no desire to do anyway).

All sounds so depressing. I think Thatcher change Britain for good. I still feel she is to blame even though Blair has made the UK even worst. I had such high hope for labour. I dream about going home sometimes. But the longer I'm away the more is seems unlikely. I wish for all the T in china, that it was not like that. If your unskilled your screwed. Even skilled is a struggle. The rents are far too high and wages far too low. But despite the Brits always seams happy....I feel sad now. LOL...I'm going to be there in October....nice to hear someone tell it like it is.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Jun 20th 2009 at 7:46 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 7:39 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I've only lived away from England for 18 months, I frequented nightclubs, often went to the city centre restaurants at night with my then 5 year old daughter, and had held a season ticket at Leeds United for over 15 years, travelling to home, away and European games. I felt perfectly safe in all these areas.

None of these places are no-go zones.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I've only lived away from England for 18 months, I frequented nightclubs, often went to the city centre restaurants at night with my then 5 year old daughter, and had held a season ticket at Leeds United for over 15 years, travelling to home, away and European games. I felt perfectly safe in all these areas.

None of these places are no-go zones.
Good to hear. I was only going by my own perception of safety when I visited such places in Britain in recent years, and I didn't feel safe.

Also the feeling or perception of safety is very very subjective and depends not just on how safe the place actually is, but on each individuals past experiences.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Me a troll? No I'm not a troll. I'm true brit. Born In St Marys Paddington. I grew up Aveley Essex. I'm slightly dyslexic. But I'm not some thicko troll LOL. Just because you have been poorly educated doesn't mean your stupid although most people when I went to school thought I was. Dyslexic was seen as laziness and stupidity. So I was given the boot at 8, then I was sent to a special school. When I left school I was unable to barely read and write. Boo hoo who cares. I'm self taught now. I've never let my education stop me for doing what I do. I have always been very successful at what I do.
I reckon you've stuck up for yourself really well there and made a very valid point there on behalf of all people with dyslexia.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 9:53 am
Just Joined

vikky is an unknown quantity at this point

Backagain. Snap! I was born in St Marys Paddington. I grew up in London and lived for a while in Northamptonshire.
For the last 19 years though,I have lived in the Netherlands
Last September I went to England for 6 weeks to help look after my aging mother in law and to look at the possibility of returning for good.

6 weeks of hell for me.
My MIL lives just in the London/Surrey border where I also lived 20 years ago and to me it has changed beyond belief.
The first thing to strike me was the noise and hustle 24/7 it just never stops theres never any peace.
The food ..OMG... since when did they put vineger in bread? I found most shops sold 85-90% processed, pre packaged, pre cooked, darn near pre chewed food which was over salted over sugared and over priced.
Fresh food was worse, hard to get good quality and prices sky high in comparison to here. I developed mouth ulcers, nausea and lost weight in an unhealthy way.
Rudeness also struck me, here people meet your eye say good morning ect shops ask if your purchase is a gift and will wrap it for you. Service in the UK seems to have died out. Pushing and shoving seems to be the norm.

When my car was broken into and vandalised I informed the local police who laughed ! I will admit they later sent a community support officer who was very nice and sympathetic. I didnt expect them to launch a full scale search for the little scrots who did my car but to laugh?
I also found that the English culture seems to have vanished, everywhere I went I saw shop signs in other languages In one supermarket I could only get Halal chicken and everyone is scared to speak thier mind in case the PC brigade get them, my niece cant sing baa baa black sheep in case she insults someone.
As someone who lives in a country other than that of my birth I think it is the newcomers job to adjust to the new country not the other way round.

I do think the UK has lost it's way a bit.
Having said that I think the English langauge is it is a wonderful, rich, beautiful, expressive langauge. The countryside and history are the envy of many.
I hope that the British people find the strength and passion to rebuild what has been dragged down in the last few years.

Last edited by vikky; Jun 21st 2009 at 9:57 am.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikky
Backagain. Snap! I was born in St Marys Paddington. I grew up in London and lived for a while in Northamptonshire.
Last September I went to England for 6 weeks to help look after my aging mother in law and to look at the possibility of returning for good.

6 weeks of hell for me.
My MIL lives just in the London/Surrey border where I also lived 20 years ago and to me it has changed beyond belief.
The first thing to strike me was the noise and hustle 24/7 it just never stops theres never any peace.
The food ..OMG... since when did they put vineger in bread? I found most shops sold 85-90% processed, pre packaged, pre cooked, darn near pre chewed food which was over salted over sugared and over priced.
Fresh food was worse, hard to get good quality and prices sky high in comparison to here. I developed mouth ulcers, nausea and lost weight in an unhealthy way.
Rudeness also struck me, here people meet your eye say good morning ect shops ask if your purchase is a gift and will wrap it for you. Service in the UK seems to have died out. Pushing and shoving seems to be the norm.

When my car was broken into and vandalised I informed the local police who laughed ! I will admit they later sent a community support officer who was very nice and sympathetic. I didnt expect them to launch a full scale search for the little scrots who did my car but to laugh?
I also found that the English culture seems to have vanished, everywhere I went I saw shop signs in other languages In one supermarket I could only get Halal chicken and everyone is scared to speak thier mind in case the PC brigade get them, my niece cant sing baa baa black sheep in case she insults someone.
As someone who lives in a country other than that of my birth I think it is the newcomers job to adjust to the new country not the other way round.

Having said that I think the English langauge is it is a wonderful, rich, beautiful, expressive langauge. The countryside and history are the envy of many.
I hope that the British people find the strength and passion to rebuild what has been dragged down in the last few years.
After 23 years away, I also have found the UK has changed enormously since I left (what country hasn't?) But having watched a series of programs last night on the miners' strike, which was around the time I left the UK (because after I graduated, there were no jobs - sound familiar?), I was reminded that not everythng has changed for the worse.

I do think it is a shame that the economy has moved away from what I would call "real" jobs and productivity to the "fake" economy (i.e., banking, finance). I was reminded during last night's programs that it was about the same time that the rise in silly city salaries began, and the obsession with easy money (they even had Harry Enfield's "loadsamoney" character on the program).

I think that the intervening 20 or so years has created even more of a haves/have nots rift. I lived in S. Wales when I first came back and was struck by the fact that most houses for sale seemed to have the same decor from 20-30 years ago, a sign of the poor economy there over those years. The existence of the UK's welfare system is often lauded on MBTTUK (for sound reasons), but increasingly it seems to be creating large swathes of the population becoming slaves to the state.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I now see Britain neither through rose-tinted glasses, or daily express glasses. I think I can give an honest and objective point of view of how it really is.

The way I see it, in rural Britain very little has changed for many years. Only trouble is not many jobs without long commutes and that is very very expensive.

In urban areas of Britain there is a lot more crime than I see in Australia and it is sometimes very visible, not just in the papers. Again though if you keep your wits about you and don't go to risky places unless you're willing to take a risk, then it's still fairly safe in the majority of places, most of the time. I won't pretend it's anything like perfect though because honestly it's not. It saddens me as a proud Englishman to admit that but it's the truth. (while I was in UK recently there was a murder in a pub at the end of the street where my Aunt and Uncle live. I've been in that pub many times and always considered their house was in a nice enough area, so I cant deny that crime is around and affecting real people including those I love).

However, whichst there are problems, and there is some truth to most of what is in the news, there's no doubt in my mind that the British media makes things sound a hell of a lot worse than they really are. They have a lot to answer for.

I would strongly recommend ignoring it. Don't read the papers because they're extremely depressing and that doesn't help anyone.

There are a ridiculous number of speed cameras on the roads. I don't speed though so that doesn't bother me. If they manage to raise some much needed funds for the government by fining those who do speed, that's a good thing as long as they spend it in ways that will benefit the majority of British people.

Unfortunately they don't. I have very little faith in the competency of the British government I'm afraid which is another thing that puts me off moving home. Again I wish that weren't the case but I'm just being honest and admitting that it is.

Petrol and houses are both ludicrously overpriced in Britain compared to Australia, even though both have fallen in price significantly in the last year.

The political and economic situation in Britain right now is not good at all and a solution doesn't seem likely anytime soon either.

Sorry, but again I see no point saying it's all wonderful on this forum as I would not want to think someone might decide to go and live there on the basis of such statements. I think it's only right that I say it how it really is.

BUT, there are still many wonderful things about Britain and overall it can still be a very good place to live. Just pick the right area and with hard work and good luck you can have a brilliant life there.

The food, in my opinion, knocks Australias food offering off the planet. I'm talking about the food in supermarkets and the food in restaurants and pubs. A million times better than in Australia and in my opinion probably better than anything I've tasted anywhere in the world (and I have travelled a lot).

There is so many tourist attractions in Britain and nearby in Europe that nobody could possibly hope to do everything in a lifetime.

The British sense of humour is wonderful and genuinely funny and meaningful, not like the shallow and pathetic attempt at humour I see in Australia and from America.

In many areas, especially rural areas, there is a very strong sense of community and most of the people really care. That's another thing I don't see in Australia.

British education is probably amongst the best in the world, for the most part. There are some terrible schools too but they can be avoided I'm sure.

The British countryside offers an incredible choice of scenery and activities that can't be matched anywhere else in the world, in my opinion. The lake district and parts of Scotland and Wales in particular.

The history of Britain, although not always something to be proud of, is certainly fascinating to anyone with any appreciation of history at all. This can be readily experienced in any of Britains many wonderful museums, and even in ordinary places such as the hundreds of very old churches, pubs, shops etc.

Christmas in Britain is an amazing and very special experience, especially if it snows!

I'm sure there's many other good and bad things about Britain today too, but that's a few off the top of my head.

I might mention too that Britain has got talent, and lots of it! Hence the reason the TV show "Britain's Got Talent" is followed by many people all over the world, not just in Britain. Watching that show and comparing it to Americas Got Talent or Australias Got Talent quickly proves my point. Many British people are incredibly talented and that's something that actually makes me really proud to be British.
I thought that was a good post in general. Think houses are just as expensive here in Perth though and probably dearer if you multiply the average wage x the average house price in both countries, anyway good post
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:30 am
Account Closed

6 weeks of hell for me.

That is not really a picture of modern day Britain though and probably more to do with the area you were staying in. I did not see many of those problems especially regarding the food.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

For the past three years i have been back for a holiday to UK.The 1st year i went back on my own.Never felt unsafe,my mum lived in Kent at the time.Went up to London alternate days on my own, (was there for 7 days). I also took buses and trains to Lewisham and Bromley.Used the tube etc and didn't feel threatened.When i arrived, going from Heathrow to my mums i had young men offer to carry my huge case for me on a few occassions,(going up huge escalators that were out of operation).They didn't try to nick off with it. It gave me a breather and they were very interested to hear i was home from Australia to visit family.Last year i noticed food prices comparable with Australia also eating out,loved the pub lunches.When visiting sisters in the Highlands and Morayshire the scenery was stunning and i think my bh was sick of me saying stunning!!!Did notice the amount of speed cameras even at the borders on an isolated road which had them!!! Was over when Yorkshire was flooded (Sheffield),we were in Meadowhall (shopping) at the time.Also had bomb threat the day before we were due to leave UK.people were still sleeping in heathrow outside lifts etc,still managed to get our flight home and it left 5 mins early.

Anyway just to say i am sick of hearing all the doom and gloom about UK in the news,life is still the same for all family members in UK (thankfully) and we are heading back to live in Scotland when our house sells

Been in Australia 18 years and can't believe how different things are compared to UK with regard to helpfulness and friendliness.It is true what they say about the British humour and the way most brits are with you,having a natter on the bus or tube,shop or supermarket.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:53 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
That is not really a picture of modern day Britain though and probably more to do with the area you were staying in. I did not see many of those problems especially regarding the food.
Dont waste your time Funky.. some of us know better

If these people choose to go live in a craphole area and not reach out and explore the gorgeous parts of the UK then just let them carry on!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed discovering all sorts of lovely places in the last couple of months.
Cant believe the comment about food!! If you want crappy food then yes, theres plenty to choose from, BUT, theres an array of healthy fresh choices, and choices being the operative word!

Never mind.. its Sunday.. i'm off to the carvey for a damn good Sunday roast with proper Yorkshire pud and all the trimmings... toodle pip
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Dont waste your time Funky.. some of us know better

If these people choose to go live in a craphole area and not reach out and explore the gorgeous parts of the UK then just let them carry on!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed discovering all sorts of lovely places in the last couple of months.
Cant believe the comment about food!! If you want crappy food then yes, theres plenty to choose from, BUT, theres an array of healthy fresh choices, and choices being the operative word!

Never mind.. its Sunday.. i'm off to the carvey for a damn good Sunday roast with proper Yorkshire pud and all the trimmings... toodle pip
Ooh the carvery you just had to get it in didn't you, enjoy yourself
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

vikky is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Fleaflyfloflum;7685305]Dont waste your time Funky.. some of us know better

Oh thats a nice thing to say..not opinions were asked for and opinions are what were given. I returned to a place I had previously lived and offered an opinion on how that place had changed.
I dare say there are nice places left in the UK but not everyone can live in them can they?

So whats the plan? just ignore the crapholes as you put it and let them slowly go down the drain?
What will you do when the craphole reaches you?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:53 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

6 weeks of hell for me.

I think this is a load of crap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.