Opinions on England Please.

Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on England Please.

As I always say,it depends alot where you live I feel!!!I was recently back in Adelaide and drove through some very depressing area's,and I would not choose to live in any of them!!We live quite rurally (and no we are not well off by any means)and its absolutely fine!Just returned an hour ago from Cornwall (The Lizard,went to a soltice party!!!)and what can I say?Another stunning place to add to my list!I always feel safe here,even when we visit bigger cities.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:26 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=vikky;7685415]
Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Dont waste your time Funky.. some of us know better

If these people choose to go live in a craphole area and not reach out and explore the gorgeous parts of the UK then just let them carry on!!

Oh thats a nice thing to say..not opinions were asked for and opinions are what were given. I returned to a place I had previously lived and offered an opinion on how that place had changed.
I dare say there are nice places left in the UK but not everyone can live in them can they?

So whats the plan? just ignore the crapholes as you put it and let them slowly go down the drain?
What will you do when the craphole reaches you?

And just as you have your opinion, I also have mine and have the right to express it. If you dont like my response to your post thats your problem. If you post something on a forum that I (or anyone else for that matter) disagrees with we have the right to say so!

Who said anything about ignoring the crapholes?? Not me YOUR post whether intentionally or not, insinuated that the UK has virtually slid down the pan. Well i am here to tell you that IS a load of crap! And i have been back 3mths now. I can assure you it will take a hell of a long time before the place i call home becomes a craphole. In fact i reckon i'll be long dead before that happens.
If a certain place doesnt float your boat anymore, the only natural thing to do is aim to find somewhere else to live! We all have choices no matter how much money we have. I dont like the area i left before emmigrating, so i have CHOSEN to live somewhere else.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:52 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading a book last night when the storyline mentioned a skylark hovering in a clear blue sky. Then I remembered where I used to live near the beach in the Lake District in England and how skylarks and the lovely sound they made above, heralded the start of long summer days ahead.

Back then, not that long ago, I had two babies and my biggest drama was getting their clothes dry so a skylark twittering above me meant a nice sunny day was ahead.

We lived not far from Barrow in Furness, which was the most unappealing town I've ever lived close to. I never noticed it. I knew the bad parts were all around but they were in the background, not in front of me. I only ever saw the best bits of the UK and often the best bits were the smallest things like a skylark, snow on the fells, newborn lambs, fresh baked bread from the bakers, ducks on the pond, sunsets and sunrises, frost on berries, cakes in the oven, getting washing dry when it rained for a week.

Sometimes, I think people can focus on all that's so wrong, they miss all the best things.
The UK probably has changed a lot but so has everywhere else. Reckon there will still be skylarks singing when I go home on the 10th August though and I also believe all the other small things will still be there. Nothing would have changed that much.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 1:10 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly a lot depends on where we're returning from. I notice that the feelings of people returning from Australia are different to those of people returning from Canada. Probably there's a lot of differences between areas of Australia, but I'm not picking up on that.

I also see a different approach in people returning from Europe -- and that makes sense. Distance isn't a huge factor. I'm willing to believe that in a lot of ways the Netherlands is better for some, has better food etc. Everyone always says it's a lovely country and people. I've not been there, but I've been to northern Belgium and it's wonderful.

To be honest, I wasn't blown away with the food in the UK when we were there. We could get what we wanted, which was fine, but it wasn't better than what we can get here other than the cheese, and the wine is cheaper. This has made me think the food selection in OZ must be particularly bad.

Did like the carveries, though! Can't be bothered cooking a meal like that, but it's lovely to enjoy it now and then.

However, I agree that Netherlands to UK, and one location, isn't the basis for generalizations about the UK, is what that post seemed to be.

Bev
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 1:23 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Clearly a lot depends on where we're returning from. I notice that the feelings of people returning from Australia are different to those of people returning from Canada. Probably there's a lot of differences between areas of Australia, but I'm not picking up on that.

I also see a different approach in people returning from Europe -- and that makes sense. Distance isn't a huge factor. I'm willing to believe that in a lot of ways the Netherlands is better for some, has better food etc. Everyone always says it's a lovely country and people. I've not been there, but I've been to northern Belgium and it's wonderful.

To be honest, I wasn't blown away with the food in the UK when we were there. We could get what we wanted, which was fine, but it wasn't better than what we can get here other than the cheese, and the wine is cheaper. This has made me think the food selection in OZ must be particularly bad.

Did like the carveries, though! Can't be bothered cooking a meal like that, but it's lovely to enjoy it now and then.

However, I agree that Netherlands to UK, and one location, isn't the basis for generalizations about the UK, is what that post seemed to be.

Bev
The food selection in Australia, especially in tourist areas, is often geared towards Japanese tastes. This is because they make up the largest number of visitors to Australia.
Asian cuisine such as Thai and Vietnamese is very popular and so is Greek and Italian. Most of this food is very good but often expensive. Eating out in Oz has got very expensive over the last few years.

Then there are a lot of fast food eating outlets where they are all grouped together, Hungry Jacks, Subway, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza, Kebabs, etc.
I haven't seen quite as many fast food outlets like this in the UK.

Then Australian cuisine tends to be steak, fish, barbeque. I must admit, because of the huge multicultural community, eating out in Oz is often very good because there is such a mix of food style cultures.
It does get better and better in this respect.

You really have to know where to go in England to find the best places to eat. In my experience, Scotland has some fantastic places to eat, often better than England.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Traffic cameras have nothing to do with catching criminals, they are there purely to make money. Survelance cameras are a great security feature, that just move criminals on to a different area.

I thought these cameras were initially installed to monitor the activities of the IRA bombers during the troubles. They were just never taken out
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Bev
Netherlands is a wonderful country in many if not most aspects but not sure if the food there really so outstanding that is why they adopted certain foods from their former colony, Indonesia where the Rice Table hails from and really stands out from some of the stodgy local cuisine.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
As I always say,it depends alot where you live I feel!!!I was recently back in Adelaide and drove through some very depressing area's,and I would not choose to live in any of them!!We live quite rurally (and no we are not well off by any means)and its absolutely fine!Just returned an hour ago from Cornwall (The Lizard,went to a soltice party!!!)and what can I say?Another stunning place to add to my list!I always feel safe here,even when we visit bigger cities.
Great stuff...ah yes the soltice parties..and where better than to celebrate than in mythical Cornwall.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by vikky
Backagain. Snap! I was born in St Marys Paddington. I grew up in London and lived for a while in Northamptonshire.
For the last 19 years though,I have lived in the Netherlands
Last September I went to England for 6 weeks to help look after my aging mother in law and to look at the possibility of returning for good.

6 weeks of hell for me.
My MIL lives just in the London/Surrey border where I also lived 20 years ago and to me it has changed beyond belief.
The first thing to strike me was the noise and hustle 24/7 it just never stops theres never any peace.
The food ..OMG... since when did they put vineger in bread? I found most shops sold 85-90% processed, pre packaged, pre cooked, darn near pre chewed food which was over salted over sugared and over priced.
Fresh food was worse, hard to get good quality and prices sky high in comparison to here. I developed mouth ulcers, nausea and lost weight in an unhealthy way.
Rudeness also struck me, here people meet your eye say good morning ect shops ask if your purchase is a gift and will wrap it for you. Service in the UK seems to have died out. Pushing and shoving seems to be the norm.

When my car was broken into and vandalised I informed the local police who laughed ! I will admit they later sent a community support officer who was very nice and sympathetic. I didnt expect them to launch a full scale search for the little scrots who did my car but to laugh?
I also found that the English culture seems to have vanished, everywhere I went I saw shop signs in other languages In one supermarket I could only get Halal chicken and everyone is scared to speak thier mind in case the PC brigade get them, my niece cant sing baa baa black sheep in case she insults someone.
As someone who lives in a country other than that of my birth I think it is the newcomers job to adjust to the new country not the other way round.

I do think the UK has lost it's way a bit.
Having said that I think the English langauge is it is a wonderful, rich, beautiful, expressive langauge. The countryside and history are the envy of many.
I hope that the British people find the strength and passion to rebuild what has been dragged down in the last few years.
Every where has changed inside the time frame you sat(20 years)how can it not.??Not sure but it would appear that you cut your ties to the UK to a large degree to seemed shocked by the changes?As normally we witness the evolution of change by visits over a shorter duration.
Living in The Netherlands in the early eighties(Amsterdam) and revisiting that country over a decade later i can tell you of a lot of changes have taken place there too.And not all for the better.
What ever happened to the Dutch tolerance so evident in 1981&82? What's with all this blaming every one else in society especially non white foreigners?
I would put it that English culture has far from vanished and is evolving that will include the reality of it means to be English\British and in the broader sense inclusive of all the people regardless of colour and religion that inhabit that land.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jun 22nd 2009 at 4:19 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by backagen
I'm British and have been living in Australia for about 20 years, but go back once a year for a holiday and always have a good time and feel reasonably safe (provided I am careful and don't go out to city centres at night, football matches, or noisy bars / nightclubs, which I have no desire to do anyway).

For many years I've been wanting to move back but some things have put me off.

I now see Britain neither through rose-tinted glasses, or daily express glasses. I think I can give an honest and objective point of view of how it really is.

The way I see it, in rural Britain very little has changed for many years. Only trouble is not many jobs without long commutes and that is very very expensive.

In urban areas of Britain there is a lot more crime than I see in Australia and it is sometimes very visible, not just in the papers. Again though if you keep your wits about you and don't go to risky places unless you're willing to take a risk, then it's still fairly safe in the majority of places, most of the time. I won't pretend it's anything like perfect though because honestly it's not. It saddens me as a proud Englishman to admit that but it's the truth. (while I was in UK recently there was a murder in a pub at the end of the street where my Aunt and Uncle live. I've been in that pub many times and always considered their house was in a nice enough area, so I cant deny that crime is around and affecting real people including those I love).

However, whichst there are problems, and there is some truth to most of what is in the news, there's no doubt in my mind that the British media makes things sound a hell of a lot worse than they really are. They have a lot to answer for.

I would strongly recommend ignoring it. Don't read the papers because they're extremely depressing and that doesn't help anyone.

There are a ridiculous number of speed cameras on the roads. I don't speed though so that doesn't bother me. If they manage to raise some much needed funds for the government by fining those who do speed, that's a good thing as long as they spend it in ways that will benefit the majority of British people.

Unfortunately they don't. I have very little faith in the competency of the British government I'm afraid which is another thing that puts me off moving home. Again I wish that weren't the case but I'm just being honest and admitting that it is.

Petrol and houses are both ludicrously overpriced in Britain compared to Australia, even though both have fallen in price significantly in the last year.

The political and economic situation in Britain right now is not good at all and a solution doesn't seem likely anytime soon either.

Sorry, but again I see no point saying it's all wonderful on this forum as I would not want to think someone might decide to go and live there on the basis of such statements. I think it's only right that I say it how it really is.

BUT, there are still many wonderful things about Britain and overall it can still be a very good place to live. Just pick the right area and with hard work and good luck you can have a brilliant life there.

The food, in my opinion, knocks Australias food offering off the planet. I'm talking about the food in supermarkets and the food in restaurants and pubs. A million times better than in Australia and in my opinion probably better than anything I've tasted anywhere in the world (and I have travelled a lot).

There is so many tourist attractions in Britain and nearby in Europe that nobody could possibly hope to do everything in a lifetime.

The British sense of humour is wonderful and genuinely funny and meaningful, not like the shallow and pathetic attempt at humour I see in Australia and from America.

In many areas, especially rural areas, there is a very strong sense of community and most of the people really care. That's another thing I don't see in Australia.

British education is probably amongst the best in the world, for the most part. There are some terrible schools too but they can be avoided I'm sure.

The British countryside offers an incredible choice of scenery and activities that can't be matched anywhere else in the world, in my opinion. The lake district and parts of Scotland and Wales in particular.

The history of Britain, although not always something to be proud of, is certainly fascinating to anyone with any appreciation of history at all. This can be readily experienced in any of Britains many wonderful museums, and even in ordinary places such as the hundreds of very old churches, pubs, shops etc.

Christmas in Britain is an amazing and very special experience, especially if it snows!

I'm sure there's many other good and bad things about Britain today too, but that's a few off the top of my head.

I might mention too that Britain has got talent, and lots of it! Hence the reason the TV show "Britain's Got Talent" is followed by many people all over the world, not just in Britain. Watching that show and comparing it to Americas Got Talent or Australias Got Talent quickly proves my point. Many British people are incredibly talented and that's something that actually makes me really proud to be British.
Great post backagain have to agree with most of it !!!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:50 am
Just Joined

vikky is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my time here was short and sweet but it served it purpose... It reminded me why I left in the first place
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about the food selection in oz, it is almost non-existent.

I was shocked today when I went to a supermarket and looked at the cake aisle (by which I mean the 2 miniature bays of cakes in an aisle full of other things). I actually looked in 2 supermarkets and each had almost the exact same tiny selection of cakes consisting of about 15 varieties if that, and only 2 of the varieties were what I would call slightly appealing.

That compares to a typcial Asda or Tesco where you'd find a least half an aisle, often a full aisle dedicated to cakes, with dozens of different varieties, most of which would be nice.

Cakes are just one example but in general Australian supermarkets are very small compared to British ones and therefore have a much smaller choice of foods.

Again though, I don't want to come on here just to whinge. I want to debate all that is both good and bad about both the UK and other countries.

Therefore to balance the above fact that Australian supermarkets are small and have less choices than British ones, might I also say that in Australia it is much easier to get to a supermarket than in Britain because there's a lot more of them within each local area.

For example I have 8 major supermarkets within 5 minutes drive of my home, and that's not unusual.

In Britain I would guess the majority of people don't quite have that..

Also in Australia if you live in a metropolitan area you're likely to have at least one major shopping mall nearby, which would usually have 2 supermarkets in it as well as a big range of fresh food stores such as fruit and veg shops, butchers, bakers, poultry shops and much more.

In Britain there are very few good fresh food specialty shops and those there are are usually not conveniently located in a nice shopping centre.

So again, good and bad things about both countries.

I do miss my Bakewell tarts and treacle tarts though, big time!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:51 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about food. I buy mostly fresh stuff and cook from scratch, so for me it's the selection of fruits, veggies, and meats that mostly matters. Also, we were mostly shopping in the small town and only went to a big supermarket twice. Then I was overwhelmed by the loads of choices, but in the end didn't find more of what I wanted than I have at the small local supermarket here in Victoria. Just bigger bins.

I found the bread for sale in bakeries in the UK good, but I was disappointed that the selection of cakes in cake shops was limited. The selection in the small Coop supermarket was really poor. I wanted a real cream cake -- a cream puff, perhaps, or an eclair, and couldn't find one, or a lot of the old small cakes I used to love. It was all big chunks of what I think of as North American "coffee" cake. (For a while after we moved here I thought that meant it had to be made with coffee!) Must easier to make than those old style ones, that must be fiddly, but I was disappointed. Are there old style cake shops like that still? Anyone remember the little pineapple tarts with cream on top and then icing. I loved them.

Also, I was cooking for some friends and didn't have all the bits and pieces to bake a pie so I thought I'd buy one. In the small town the selection was very poor. Okay, so I had a yen for bilberry, but almost anything other than apple would have been good. It wasn't a bad apple pie, though. Not overly sweet and with a sticky sort of sauce like bought pies here.

So those were my problems, but they're pretty minor. As I said before, we were in heaven with all the different English cheeses. Even the supermarket ones were so much better than the same thing over here. It was also easy to get good quality eggs. Fabulous bacon. Sausages, of course. Once I remember what the different cuts of meat are called, that'll be fine, too, though more expensive. But we're trying to eat less meat.

Bev
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:10 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm willing to believe that in a lot of ways the Netherlands is better for some, has better food etc. Everyone always says it's a lovely country and people. I've not been there, but I've been to northern Belgium and it's wonderful.
Belgian food from the French speaking part (Walloons) is very good but from the Dutch speaking part (Flemish) it is like the food in the Netherlands poor and bland, most restaurants seems to serve eggs and pancakes which are ok at first but becomes very sickly quite quickly. In general there is little variety food wise in Holland, exception to all this though being the food from the former Dutch asian colonies. It is the asian cuisine that is without doubt the saving grace of the Netherlands food-wise, as another postee stated above.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:27 pm
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Belgian food from the French speaking part (Walloons) is very good but from the Dutch speaking part (Flemish) it is like the food in the Netherlands poor and bland, most restaurants seems to serve eggs and pancakes which are ok at first but becomes very sickly quite quickly. In general there is little variety food wise in Holland, exception to all this though being the food from the former Dutch asian colonies. It is the asian cuisine that is without doubt the saving grace of the Netherlands food-wise, as another postee stated above.
I'm trying to remember what we ate there. Eggs and pancakes wouldn't have suited, and I don't think we discovered the Asian food. Actually, I do remember a not very good Italian style meal -- lasagna, perhaps, and I think we chose that because there wasn't much else on the menu that appealed, and we had teenage boys.

Those teenage boys went crazy for Belgian waffles, of course, and the practice of providing wonderful chips with every meal. Isn't it there that mussels are excellent? I remember we stayed a few nights in a great gite with a vegetable garden and they encouraged us to pick from it.

We didn't find the French part of Belgium as friendly, but I think we only stayed one night there. Don't remember the food there. It was a heat wave and so we probably just ate salad, fruit and ice cream.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.