Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts moved from the Moving From Romania thread

Off topic posts moved from the Moving From Romania thread

Old Aug 9th 2014, 11:24 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Romania to UK

When do I get my Nobel prize for proving a 'mathematical impossibility' is possible?
Old Aug 9th 2014, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

When do I get my Nobel prize for proving a 'mathematical impossibility' is possible?
My apologies, you are absolutely correct that it can occur.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 2:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
My apologies, you are absolutely correct that it can occur.
I like a person who doesn't mind apologising
Old Aug 9th 2014, 4:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Median income would be higher than "average" income (by which I ssume you mean the mean), if the data are negatively skewed, simple as that.

However, as income data are almost always positively skewed, "average" (mean) income is invariably higher than the median.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 4:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Median income would be higher than "average" income (by which I ssume you mean the mean), if the data are negatively skewed, simple as that.

However, as income data are almost always positively skewed, "average" (mean) income is invariably higher than the median.
No, I meant median. Mean is the same thing as average.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
OMG, 20 odd posts about what is the average or median wage. Its irrelevant as the OP will be earning around 40k
I know right

I didn't come for math class guys
Old Aug 9th 2014, 7:05 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

You started it Gozi, referring to 'average'.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

You started it Gozi, referring to 'average'.
I was answering OPs question related to salary
Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

No, I meant median. Mean is the same thing as average.
That's what I said.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 11:47 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by dunroving

Except that the median wage is currently higher than the mean wage, so it isn't 'invariable' is it?
Old Aug 10th 2014, 12:18 pm
Ping-ponger

Except that the median wage is currently higher than the mean wage, so it isn't 'invariable' is it?
Not according to the link that Michael provided:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_the_United_Kingdom
- which is the only evidence I can find in the thread (maybe you provided some evidence and I'm missing it). Mean is higher than median for all age groups in the Wikipedia source that Michael provided.

As per my earlier point, income data are invariable positively skewed. I teach statistics and use this example all the time to demonstrate the effect of skewness on estimates of central tendency (mean and median).

Just one text excerpt says "That same year [2011], the after-tax earnings of the median household was around £26,000 per annum while average net household income (after tax) stood at £38,547"

I don't see anything in there that shows median income higher than mean income for any age category or group, or for the population as a whole. Look at the table titled "Percentile points for income of individuals before tax" - the mean is higher than the median for every year.

Anyway, to get back to the OP's question, £40k is a well above average salary (guesstimate is that it is around the 80th percentile).
Old Aug 10th 2014, 1:33 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

The Wikipedia link provides figures for 2010-11.

According to the 2014 figures average (i.e. mean) wages are £474 p.w - i.e. £24,648 p.a.

The Guardian reported in December last year that HMRC figures showed that median wage was £517, which is higher than the mean.

But, I can't find a link to the HMRC figures.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
But to answer a few of your questions, 40,000 GBP is quite a lot and is on par with average salaries. You should be able to save quite a bit on this.

As an EU citizen you are entitled to move to the UK under freedom of movement. All you need is your Romanian passport and/or identity card, its best to have both as you can send one away for your resident card application/PR in future, whilst retaining the other for traveling.

So you shouldn't have much trouble moving to the UK from an immigration perspective.
Heathrow_0808, you might want to be careful taking advice from a 16-year-old child, who is still at school, lives with his parents in Canada and has never lived in the UK.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by deepcpearl
Heathrow_0808, you might want to be careful taking advice from a 16-year-old child, who is still at school, lives with his parents in Canada and has never lived in the UK.
No, she might want to be careful taking advice from YOU , an obviously arrogant poster who believes that just because i'm 15 (16 in 5 months) i am not smart / dont have an opinion.
It doesnt't take a rocket scientist to know that 40K GBP (about 75k CAD) is more than enough to save and live on in the UK.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

If I were the OP, I'd just start a new thread. In terms of their questions, there's about 10% relevant information on this one, and the rest is people arguing about means, medians, averages, ages, and arrogance .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.