Moving from Romania to UK

Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Romania to UK

Originally Posted by heathrow_0808
Hello all,

I am quite new on this forum, so if this topic has already been started, apology for my redundancy.

I am preparing to move from Romania to UK in the following months. Currently, I am not exactly sure which will be the specific location as the pharmaceutical company I may start to work with has several sites spread all over UK so we haven't settled the location yet.

However, I tried to do some research upon what does the immigration require and I have to admit I am kinda lost. Therefore, could someone please help me with some indications on the regular taxes, what card may I need to apply for and everything that may be useful for someone who moves in the UK?

Additionally, I would also like to ask you about the salary part. From your perspective, do you think that 40,000 GPB per year, as a gross salary, would be a decent one and allows me also to make some savings? I need to mention that I am single and I am doing this step for myself.

Many thanks in advance for your help. I hope I'll receive some useful replies .

Cheers!
Well, not only is £40k well above the national average , it would give you a take-home salary of about £2,500 per month (using this tax calculator).

Other than if you wanted to live close to London, a take-home salary of £2,500 per month would more than pay the bills.

If you buy a house, be aware that the government allows you to make up to £4,250 per year tax-free from renting a room (see here).
Old Aug 10th 2014, 8:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deepcpearl
Oh, you're 15? My mistake.

I'm sure you have an opinion, most people do, but on the subject of how much it costs to live in the UK, yours would be an uninformed opinion as you have never lived there. Indeed, you have never been self-supporting anywhere. For your information, GBP 40,000 would not be enough to live on in London.

Now go and play and leave the discussion to the grown-ups.
But, since the average salary in London is only £41,597, presumably most Londoners are living on less than £40,000.

Speaking as a 62 year old Londoner, I'd back up the 15 year old Malteser on this. I have friends in London living good lives on considerably less than £40,000.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:27 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
But, since the average salary in London is only £41,597, presumably most Londoners are living on less than £40,000.

Speaking as a 62 year old Londoner, I'd back up the 15 year old Malteser on this. I have friends in London living good lives on considerably less than £40,000.
Agree on all points here. I have friends & relatives in London doing fine on that kind of salary or somewhat less. (And intelligent 15 year olds who do their research are preferable to rude non-teenage posters any day, in my book.)
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:27 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Like I said, it doesn't take a naffing rocket scientist to know that 40k GBP is enough to live comfortably on. Do I need to go and quote all the posts that agree with me?

No. Its not enough in London. It wouldn't be enough in Vancouver either, for example.
I agree 40k is a very decent wage just about anywhere in the UK. You have a wise head on your shoulders
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

dean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to behold

To second the other posters, 40K GBP is a good salary by UK standards. As one of the other posters has said it will get you about 2500GBP per month once you have paid your taxes. Clearly the further away you are from the southeast then the further this salary will go.

I know Romanians who have come before you to work in the Pharmaceutical industry and they have done very well for themselves with 2 kids now in private schools, nice car, nice house etc.

The only thing you will have to remember is that you will need some set-up cash to pay rent deposits and to buy a car.

Also you will have to rent at first as getting a mortgage in the UK can be quite tricky for a couple as years as an EU migrant.