Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Moving back, help with location please

Moving back, help with location please

Old Aug 8th 2016, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back, help with location please

Hi all

We will be moving back in the next 12-18 months. I realize this is an how long is a piece of string question but hopefully you guys can help me. We are looking to move to a small market town we are open to most areas as work will not restrict us. We wouldn't want to go any further north than Staffordshire, not keen on Norfolk side so perhaps Northamptonshire is the farthest East we would look. Going south well I suppose the further south we go from the midlands the more expensive it gets plus having lived in Kent previously the M25 can cut you off from the rest of the country when travelling to see friends and family.

I am glued to the internet looking at places but think first hand knowledge from people who live in an area or have friends that do would help me a lot.

All ideas and suggestions welcome.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Traci D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back, help with location please

Hi, Congrats on moving back to the UK - I would move back there in a heartbeat if we could afford to right now.
I grew up in a town, called Burton on Trent (also called Burton-upon-Trent) in Staffs. I was there last week, and it's quite crowded now; however there are some very pretty villages around that area, and the roads are good, it's worth you looking at the areas around Burton, if you fancy pretty villages surrounded by countryside; also close to there is Derby, also a large town/city, and also close by is Lichfield, which is a very quaint and pretty area.
Good luck with the search, and subsequent move.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Traci D
Hi, Congrats on moving back to the UK - I would move back there in a heartbeat if we could afford to right now.
I grew up in a town, called Burton on Trent (also called Burton-upon-Trent) in Staffs. I was there last week, and it's quite crowded now; however there are some very pretty villages around that area, and the roads are good, it's worth you looking at the areas around Burton, if you fancy pretty villages surrounded by countryside; also close to there is Derby, also a large town/city, and also close by is Lichfield, which is a very quaint and pretty area.
Good luck with the search, and subsequent move.
Derby is beautiful, wish I had a chance to live there, but I must go to the big cities where all the jobs are.

Matlock is a very nice town, my mum lived there one summer and said she fell in love with that place.

Best of luck with your search OP

Last edited by Freshwhyte; Aug 8th 2016 at 7:32 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Birmingham and Manchester are both big cities, and not as expensive as London.

Best of luck to you too
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dahab
...We are looking to move to a small market town....
Marlborough. Blandford Forum. Wells. Newton Abbot. Not sure if Bradford on Avon counts, but it's nice.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your suggestions, I really do appreciate them. I am looking for my forever home so I want to get it right first time - no pressure!
Old Aug 9th 2016, 8:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

"Market towns" within 100 miles of London tend to be a bit pricy. If I was looking for a home in a market town, I'd be looking west of the M5/M6, and into the Welsh Marches, anywhere from Chepstow, Monmouth, Ross-on-Wye, and Gloucester in south to Chester, Wrexham, and Nantwich in the north. In between there are any number of places that might fit the bill - Hereford, Worcester, Ludlow, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, etc.

Various places in Somerset, Dorset, and north Devon might also work for you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 9th 2016 at 9:02 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Market towns" within 100 miles of London tend to be a bit pricy. If I was looking for a home in a market town, I'd be looking west of the M5/M6, and into the Welsh Marches, anywhere from Chepstow, Monmouth, Ross-on-Wye, and Gloucester in south to Chester, Wrexham, and Nantwich in the north. In between there are any number of places that might fit the bill - Hereford, Worcester, Ludlow, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, etc.

I was going to mention Sherborne in Dorset, when I think Market Town its one of the first places I think of. But very, very pricey from what I've seen.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freshwhyte
I was going to mention Sherborne in Dorset, when I think Market Town its one of the first places I think of. But very, very pricey from what I've seen.
There are a number of quintessential market towns in the Cotswold, but the houses there are insanely expensive.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking at a lot of the aces your mention Worcester, Ludlow, Shrewsbury and Somerset in particular Our Children and grandchildren are in Northamptonshire and Worcestershire so West of the M5 is a strong contender for us. I favour Worcestershire but might upset the Northamptonshire family. Decisions, decisions!
Old Aug 11th 2016, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dahab,
If you don't mind me asking ? Where are you moving from ? Maybe I missed that bit of information in an earlier post. (I'm just being nosy )
Tracy
Old Aug 11th 2016, 10:31 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

My recommendations:

Lichfield, Leek and Stone in Staffs, Matlock, Ashbourne, Bakewell and Buxton in Derbyshire. Southwell in Nottinghamshire.

As Pulaski and others have suggested, there are also a lot of towns in the West Country that you might find affordable.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Traci D
Hi Dahab,
If you don't mind me asking ? Where are you moving from ? Maybe I missed that bit of information in an earlier post. (I'm just being nosy )
Tracy
West GTA - Ontario.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
My recommendations:

Lichfield, Leek and Stone in Staffs, Matlock, Ashbourne, Bakewell and Buxton in Derbyshire. Southwell in Nottinghamshire.

As Pulaski and others have suggested, there are also a lot of towns in the West Country that you might find affordable.

I like Lichfield and Stone. I think my husband prefers the West Country.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dahab
I like Lichfield and Stone. I think my husband prefers the West Country.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Lichfield is amazing, so many historic landmarks for such a small place