Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
And where do you live?
Dartmoor
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:12 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Dartmoor
Hounds of the Baskervilles.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:52 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

As Kilroy-Silk said, no Briton has ever claimed asylum in an arab country - so it follows that we should be grateful to be Brits and feel sorry for all these people trying to claim asylum.

Perhaps the UN could set up 'sanctuary land' to receive anyone from anywhere - a chunk of Somalia for instance - it has no government as such and many disputed areas - so that should be possible

That would solve the problem at a stroke with total safety for asylum seekers and no more resentments from the various countries who are taking them at the moment

The Jews had similar policy for displaced Jews which led to the birth of Israel
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:17 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
As Kilroy-Silk said,
OK............I got that far and have been laughing now for the last 20 mins.................
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:57 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

OK............I got that far and have been laughing now for the last 20 mins.................
you know, no matter what else is said, good or bad, when someone quotes this guy, you know you are on a downward slope. I believe dennis the menace had some epiphanies that could also perhaps be shared.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 6:09 am
Just Joined

katiev is an unknown quantity at this point

I'ts true England has been recieving immigrants since the dawn of time Huguenots,Jews,Dutch,the Flemish for hundreds and hundreds of years without completing losing its sense of self.There would have been no wool/cloth trade if the flemish didnt migrate in masses to the UK,no pottery if the dutch didnt settle in staffordshire in droves once you get to 16th century in kent every second person has french Huguenot ancestry.

Migrants come and alter things but they can never really exstinguish the place.My "english" family history goes back to before the reign of queen anne and all of the above groups are found in it including those completely native to England.The welsh loathed the flemish when they appeared to be taking over the place hundreds of years ago but look how intergrated they eventually became.

I have a unique view of this issue as I have strong English ancestry on my fathers side [they've lived in the south east since the dawn of time] and german/african/asian ancestry on my mothers[I was born in Australia though].

Many of my English Ancestors were Historians and ive inherited their devotion to english history and culture.I get that fear that people feel in the UK of losing what their ancestors so carefully preserved and sustained - my g.grandfather x4 wrote many books on the ancient oral history of Kent and East sussex,created the first libraries in Kent I would hate for their legacies to be lost.I agree that multiculturalism can be strange and wrong in some ways - taking a myriad of too many colours and merging them can leave you with a dull brown out of which nothing can be created. I hope that does'nt happen in England.But It's too late to whinge abt it,its done.

Not by choice I was born combined of everyone,one english ancestor for whatever reason decided to go to africa, colonise and completely alter forever 20,000 years or more of history,culture,tradition there,which can never be regained,a fracture that will never go away.It is strange to hear an englishman fret in anxiety over something Africa has already lost due to those colonial adventures. Had their greed never brought them there,there would be no africans,indians et al waiting at the gates of the uk for a lifestyle they had not needed until these men arrived.

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I can see the logic of your argument but disagree with most of it as being a step back in time along with a large dosage of short-sightedness as well. Multicultural societies are very much the future of the human race and whether you like it or not, much of the culture that you treasure in the UK would have evolved into something very different say in the next 100 years, its called the evolution of the human race and history is littered with multiple examples of this. On the one hand you value your heritage which I won`t dispute and dislike the extremes of alien cultures in the UK, which I for one do not advocate either (I imagine you are referring to the extremities of the muslim faith here for example) What will happen though, is that these extremities will gradually devolve themselves out of these alien cultures and blend with the english culture that you hold dear and see as being at threat of gradual extinction. Hence the combining of British, hindu, muslim and african etc cultures will take place in the UK with the best attributes coming out of each. Call this process a troubled marriage but in a couple of generations the positive results should be seen and hopefully this evolution, should trigger a similiar process in some of the more insular thinking european countries as well, None of us reading this though...will be around to see the outcome.

I see that you are based in Canada the home of multiculturalism and therefore you should be aware of the richness that multiculturalism has brought to the Country, but you state that Canada fights for its survival to protect its identity Well Canada has no identity and as such needs to import thousands of immigrants each year to constitute one, again the positive results of this should be seen in several generations time, lets face it Canada has no culture really (Quebec excepted) what it has it imports from around the world, Actually this is the best thing about the country. and the reason why I like it.

Admittedly in the UK`s case, this is very different because there is a very old culture firmly established and as stated above its going through a troubled adolescency, France has a similiar situation to that of the UK with people crying out for their eroding culture blah blah blah. Well what do the UK and France have in common? They were the 2 biggest imperialist powers of the last several centuries, therefore people will be drawn to the richness of these two countries, you may not realize it but the culture that you hold dear has already been considerably eroded and once this process starts its almost impossible to reverse, my evidence....well its history itself .

Last edited by katiev; Apr 12th 2009 at 6:26 am.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiev

It is strange to hear an englishman fret in anxiety over something Africa has already lost due to those colonial adventures. Had their greed never brought them there,there would be no africans,indians et al waiting at the gates of the uk for a lifestyle they had not needed until these men arrived.
I broke my sisters washing machine once when I stayed at her house. Nearly twenty years later I believe she took great delight in over filling mine with her manky towels and buggering up the spin cycle.

Feel better about that sis?
Old Apr 12th 2009, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

katiev is an unknown quantity at this point

Im sure when it does eventually dawn upon them dear they may be pleased to realise that the immense wealth which was created out of the resources of their respective countries is now making its way into their pockets.A small revenge certainly.I dont think they'd get any delight in eroding the culture.

Last edited by katiev; Apr 12th 2009 at 2:02 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by katiev
Im sure when it does eventually dawn upon them dear they may be pleased to realise that the immense wealth which was created out of the resources of their respective countries is now making its way into their pockets.A small revenge certainly.I dont think they'd get any delight in eroding the culture.
If you know so much about English & Welsh history, then you will surely know that this "immense wealth" did not make it into the pockets of the peasant/serf/working class/lower orders. This wealth was mainly enjoyed by the aristocrats & robber barons of that time.

I assume you have also studied the Enclosures and know all about the extreme poverty endured by my English & Welsh ancestors from the 13th to 19th century.

Oh, I don't have a problem with immigrants. They work hard but your list of immigrants to England omitted the people from Ireland (my great grandfather) & Scotland whose ancestors also now people it.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:42 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I have the greatest respect for our Mr Silk.....Expecially after watching him on celeb get me out of ere ..........Know matter what that man has balls
Old Apr 12th 2009, 8:22 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
If you know so much about English & Welsh history, then you will surely know that this "immense wealth" did not make it into the pockets of the peasant/serf/working class/lower orders. This wealth was mainly enjoyed by the aristocrats & robber barons of that time.

I assume you have also studied the Enclosures and know all about the extreme poverty endured by my English & Welsh ancestors from the 13th to 19th century.
The downtrodden proletariat school of history? It's never that simple, as I'm sure you know, and the class distinctions you're talking about aren't unique to Britain. They existed in Canada, too, to some extent in the aboriginal people, but certainly as soon as Europeans settled and relentlessly trod the aboriginal people to the bottom of the heap so they could feel grand. Quite a lot of them embraced European ways, but were soon put in their place.

So if Europeans bettered themselves by moving to North America, they did it by being "robber barons" and aspired to be aristocrats, which is why the idea of large tracts of land was like opium to them. Large tracts of land they took because after all those savages weren't doing anything with it.

As for enclosures, that is a very complex subject, but certainly in some places people were starving to death in the countryside because of the old farming methods couldn't keep up with increasing population. Those old ways made more efficient agriculture and animal breeding impossible and as I said, people suffered.

Bev
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

just been thinking about muticulturism etc and the way i see it if you go back to the begining, all modern humans evolved from archaic humans primarily in East Africa -195,000 years ago.showed up in Tanzania - 150,000 years ago.South Africa - 115,000 years ago. South West Asia - 100,000 years ago. evidently they didnt show up in the old world until - 60,000 to 40,000 years ago..This was due to a short temperate period in the middle of last ice age. So all humans come from Africa by annalysis of dna and fossiles.they did DNA testing on people in UK i think a year or so ago and found whites had the DNA that could be traced back. Bit of a bugger if you are in National Front and this wammy showed up or in the KK Clan in America eh!!! Don't have a problem with multiculturism etc as long as everyone pays their way and treats their fellow humans with compassion.Sorry to wander off the thread.

Last edited by aasmith1957; Apr 13th 2009 at 9:27 am.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

what about the highland clearances in Scotland?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Bev I agree with everything you write. I was simply making the point that the English poor/working classes whatever, existed despite the "immense wealth" created by the empire. Unless I am misreading the post, she also seems to think that the Empire belonged England.

aasmith I didn't mention the Clearances because I was responding to a point made about England. Most of my Canadian friends have surnames originating from the Highlands.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

just added about the highland clearances seeing it mentioned the welsh and the irish.(probably due to being a scot myself).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.