Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:48 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Exactly they are seen as ports of opportunity by the Morrocans and a smugglers haven.

Most Spaniards like Gibralter but hate the people there I`ve been there twice and couldn`t really work out what the Gibralterians were talking about, they seemed to communicate to each other in some kind of English language with the past and present tenses used in some kind of random order, mixed with all this was Andulacian Spanish which baffles many here in Spain as well............The overall outcome left me somewhat bemused, at what a strange world we live in

Next time I visit, I`ll try chatting with the monkeys there.........might get more sense out of them.
I remember thinking the same on the Gib language front. Amusing your comment on Andalucian Spanish - I lived in a Cadiz pueblo blanco for a while and I wasn't even sure it was Spanish being spoken - certainly didn't help me improve mine at all - hasta luego ends up as "a-go"
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I`ve been there twice and couldn`t really work out what the Gibralterians were talking about, they seemed to communicate to each other in some kind of English language with the past and present tenses used in some kind of random order...
There's a lot of that sort of thing in the UK...otherwise known as poor use of the language.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:22 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I remember thinking the same on the Gib language front. Amusing your comment on Andalucian Spanish - I lived in a Cadiz pueblo blanco for a while and I wasn't even sure it was Spanish being spoken - certainly didn't help me improve mine at all - hasta luego ends up as "a-go"
Its commonly known here in Spain that the Spanish spoken in Andulacia is the worst in Spain, parts and ends of words are just chopped off leaving both Spaniard and foreigner baffled Bit like Scouse or Geordie in the UK

Saying that though, Andulacia represents everything that foreigners like about Spain and Cadiz where you were is a nice province.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:28 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There's a lot of that sort of thing in the UK...otherwise known as poor use of the language.
I noticed plenty of poor use of the English language in the UK but the Gibraltar thing is something very different.............Its surreal, it has to be heard to be believed They are also some of the strangest people that I have ever met
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

France and Italy in 2008 had more people seeking asylum in their countries than the UK, its the excess that makes its way to the UK. Up until 2007 Sweden actually had more asylum seekers than the UK as well. These facts defeat your object as the UK being the soft touch of the EU in such matters.
In fact both USA and Canada take in far more asylum seekers than a european country.
Sweden, given it's sparsely populated land mass was very generous but they quickly realised that many southern cities and Stockholm in particular were being overrun by immigrants. Their famously generous welfare system, supported by high taxes, does not work well when you add many more claimants but add few to the ranks of those making contributions.

A seemingly forgotten rule of law is that economic refugees, which the vast majority of these people are, are not permitted to stay and should be thrown out. However, the generous legal system has parasitic lawyers who take state money to fight economic refugee cases on the basis that they are really claiming political asylum.

This is the same all across the EU, wherever you go an EU citizen from central or eastern europe is doing a job that a local will not do for the same amount of money.
It is not as simple as that. There are gangs of these new EU migrants controlled by organisations akin to the mafia . Then you have the cash workers who make it so attractive that employers take those risks, thus denying UK citizens jobs.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:30 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by times up
Sweden, given it's sparsely populated land mass was very generous but they quickly realised that many southern cities and Stockholm in particular were being overrun by immigrants. Their famously generous welfare system, supported by high taxes, does not work well when you add many more claimants but add few to the ranks of those making contributions.
Greater Stockholm`s immigrant population is 10% whereas greater London`s is 27% so I hardly call Stockholm being overrun by immigrants.

Yes Sweden like most countries in that part of the world has high taxation and once those immigrants are established and working, they will be contributing to the system that has supported them. If these immigrants fail to contribute to the system, there will be less contributions possibly meaning Sweden taking less immigrants in the future, the system largely balances itself out.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:40 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

A seemingly forgotten rule of law is that economic refugees, which the vast majority of these people are, are not permitted to stay and should be thrown out. However, the generous legal system has parasitic lawyers who take state money to fight economic refugee cases on the basis that they are really claiming political asylum.
What do you suggest then, Chucking them off the pier? Packing them on boats? Sending them to a place that nobody will ever find them?

Parasitic lawyers are akin to estate agents and will always have to be suffered in one shape or form.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:47 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

It is not as simple as that. There are gangs of these new EU migrants controlled by organisations akin to the mafia . Then you have the cash workers who make it so attractive that employers take those risks, thus denying UK citizens jobs.
It is as simple as that and its a case of simple economics and cultural ties, wherever immigrants go they are automatically drawn to their own ethnic group for work, lifestyle etc. As an employer why pay more when somebody can do the same job for a much cheaper price, logical really.

Here in Spain most Brits stick with their own type and often employ the services of other Brits as well..............No different to what goes on with Poles in the UK and Mexicans in the USA.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:55 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to equate immigrants with non-workers, most immigrants work and contribute to the country, asylum seekers are not permitted to work - what else can they do but live on the measly benefits they can get?

I agree that quite probably many are economic refugees - all of their cases should be determined more quickly and if found not to be asylum cases they should be repatriated to their country of origin - if known.

The last point is not really immigrant-specific, most British plumbers etc do some work on the side for cash - therefore undercutting those that don't and not contributing to the UK, this doesn't seem that different to immigrants working for cash and the employers should be prosecuted and the employees to be back-taxed.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:58 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The "post pics of Britain" thread has been closed down so I thought I would put a picture up of the crowded little corner of the UK I live in, sometimes I can hardly move for the sheer weight of traffic................
Attached Thumbnails Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all-p3140034.jpg  
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The "post pics of Britain" thread has been closed down so I thought I would put a picture up of the crowded little corner of the UK I live in, sometimes I can hardly move for the sheer weight of traffic................
Looks like a good place for asylum seekers to pitch up a tent............At least they`ll have nice scenary while they`re waiting for a decision.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:04 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a good place for asylum seekers to pitch up a tent............At least they`ll have nice scenary while they`re waiting for a decision.
Good luck to them, stories tell of escaping prisoners from the famous prison near here escaping one night and the next morning banging on the door by the morning to be let in..................
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:19 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

and which part of Norfolk is this?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:25 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Good luck to them, stories tell of escaping prisoners from the famous prison near here escaping one night and the next morning banging on the door by the morning to be let in..................
And where do you live?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:30 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by elfman
and which part of Norfolk is this?
We moved last month.....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.