Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Originally Posted by Sue
I was just skimming the forum and came across this post, and I have to be honest and say I am a little disappointed when I see harsh comments such as this. You are being a bit harsh. We don't know the circumstances of how, when, why etc. If he's been ill then they've probably gone through a lot. Lets try a little compassion. upapalmtree has said she's had a bad night and she clearly isn't here to stir things up. We are supposed to support each other, not attack each other at the first opportunity.

Sue
Just trying to clarify, it's easy to get the wrong idea from a post. In fact it only caught my attention because we are back living in the UK and a close member of my family has been seriously ill. They have received incredible 5 star treatment from the NHS. Even if I hated everything else about this country I'd feel like a complete wally making it public on an internet forum.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:51 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upapalmtree
Thankyou Sue - I was a bit shocked myself by Fleas response as normally she seems such a nice poster.

Unfortunately my husband had to receive his medical treatment in the UK as the tiny island we were on was unable to provide treatment and he had to leave his job due to illness - therefore invalidating our residency and employment healthcare and meaning we had to return to the UK.

He left his job, and we left our home, life, schools and friends in 6 short days notice, having to bunk up with family until we received our container just this last month and could rent ourselves a property.

As I said I understand why people love the UK and in comparison to many places and experiences for others it is where their heart lies. For us its unhappiness, I am not ashamed to say and shouldnt be either.

As for healthcare ..... we pay our taxes, we hold British nationality, we are entitled to use the healthcare system if we need it, I dont think that in the last 6 years we've been exactly a huge drain on the system. We actually live in a quietish area of the UK but its the lifestyle I was talking about rather than the "rush" of say city life.

So Flea - please be a bit more respectful when jumping on a poster like myself who through no fault is in a place they would rather not be and feels the need sometimes to vent about it ........ remind you of anyone else??!
Oh, that's bad news about hubby's health. I'm sure Flea will remember you by your other name - IslandMom - or something like that. As you used to post a lot about your life on the island, and about the kids, etc. I always enjoyed your posts, and know how much you and hubby enjoyed his golfing career. Also, your saucy sense of humour!! That will soon be back when hubby gets well, and you sort it all out. Luckily the boys are small, and moving won't bother them much. Hope the new year is good to you!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

upapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mallory
Oh, that's bad news about hubby's health. I'm sure Flea will remember you by your other name - IslandMom - or something like that. As you used to post a lot about your life on the island, and about the kids, etc. I always enjoyed your posts, and know how much you and hubby enjoyed his golfing career. Also, your saucy sense of humour!! That will soon be back when hubby gets well, and you sort it all out. Luckily the boys are small, and moving won't bother them much. Hope the new year is good to you!
Thanks Mallory - luckily the old mans health is much better, we have a nice life, just wish it was back where we were One day, one day

I'm just stuck in the phase where everything is pissing me off right now, driving me mad and I just yearn for our old life. Doesnt matter which country people are in - their hearts lie somewhere and mine just happens to not be here.

But hey ho, got a life to lead and a cottage pie to make LOL!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

upapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Just trying to clarify, it's easy to get the wrong idea from a post. In fact it only caught my attention because we are back living in the UK and a close member of my family has been seriously ill. They have received incredible 5 star treatment from the NHS. Even if I hated everything else about this country I'd feel like a complete wally making it public on an internet forum.
just call me wally ....

nothing wrong with stating that I dont like it, after all theres 2 sides to every coin, not everyone who has MBTTUK did it out of choice and is grinning from ear to ear.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou Sue - I was a bit shocked myself by Fleas response as normally she seems such a nice poster.

Unfortunately my husband had to receive his medical treatment in the UK as the tiny island we were on was unable to provide treatment and he had to leave his job due to illness - therefore invalidating our residency and employment healthcare and meaning we had to return to the UK.

He left his job, and we left our home, life, schools and friends in 6 short days notice, having to bunk up with family until we received our container just this last month and could rent ourselves a property.

As I said I understand why people love the UK and in comparison to many places and experiences for others it is where their heart lies. For us its unhappiness, I am not ashamed to say and shouldnt be either.

As for healthcare ..... we pay our taxes, we hold British nationality, we are entitled to use the healthcare system if we need it, I dont think that in the last 6 years we've been exactly a huge drain on the system. We actually live in a quietish area of the UK but its the lifestyle I was talking about rather than the "rush" of say city life.

So Flea - please be a bit more respectful when jumping on a poster like myself who through no fault is in a place they would rather not be and feels the need sometimes to vent about it ........ remind you of anyone else??!
I feel your original post indicated that you had returned to the UK solely for the purpose of getting health care, nowhere was it stated that he had lost his job and therefore you had lost residency and been forced, through no fault of your own, to return. I suspect that this was the reason for the outburst. Unfortunately there are many people who are doing just that, have moved out of the UK to live, but kept an accommodation address in the UK so that they can return at anytime for free treatment instead of getting the treatment where they are living. The NHS will provide treatment, but unless you have live permanently in the UK, then you have to pay for anything that is not emergency treatment. From your original post I, and obviously others got the impression that you ahd come here solely for the purpose of treatment, and that you had not moved back. I didn't make a comment as one already had been made.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I feel your original post indicated that you had returned to the UK solely for the purpose of getting health care, nowhere was it stated that he had lost his job and therefore you had lost residency and been forced, through no fault of your own, to return. I suspect that this was the reason for the outburst. Unfortunately there are many people who are doing just that, have moved out of the UK to live, but kept an accommodation address in the UK so that they can return at anytime for free treatment instead of getting the treatment where they are living. The NHS will provide treatment, but unless you have live permanently in the UK, then you have to pay for anything that is not emergency treatment. From your original post I, and obviously others got the impression that you ahd come here solely for the purpose of treatment, and that you had not moved back. I didn't make a comment as one already had been made.
lord no - we'd have gone to the states under our employment cover if it was just a case of treatment, but because he had to stop work we lost everything, house, schools, pets, the place my children have been raised since they were born ... all gone. Under no circumstances would we be here or using the NHS if we were living as expats.

Now as they say we just have to suck it up and work towards going home .... but hey its gonna snow here tonight so that'll make my boys smile their heads off.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

lord no - we'd have gone to the states under our employment cover if it was just a case of treatment, but because he had to stop work we lost everything, house, schools, pets, the place my children have been raised since they were born ... all gone. Under no circumstances would we be here or using the NHS if we were living as expats.

Now as they say we just have to suck it up and work towards going home .... but hey its gonna snow here tonight so that'll make my boys smile their heads off.
I think you just came across wrong.
Everyone gets a bit pissy when they think people are going to the UK to use services when they are expats, we didn't get all the story and so it was all misunderstood.
I hope you can find a quiet spot to live or manage to find your way back to the Island. It seems in this economy dream Island jobs/lives are pretty hard to come by.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise how dire the situation is R, your FB doesn't give much away probably for obvious reasons. I hope S's health is on the mend now and that the 4 of you can work to getting back to somewhere more suitable for your family very soon
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:30 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

well we've been in the UK now for almost 4 months after DH being unwell, having to leave our tiny island life (all our kids have ever known) and thrown ourselves on the mercy of our parents and the UK whilst he got treatment and rest and has now started working here again.

Is Britain so bad - for us sadly I have to say yes. We are all still desperately pining for our expat life, which ended not because we wanted it to but because it had to. We are moving heaven and earth to leave the UK again and hope to do so in late 2010, or 2011.

Its just not for us. The kids enjoy their schools and have a ton of friends and active social life, but cant stand the UK. The droll mundane rush of daily life drives me barmy, at times I just want to stay in bed all bloody day! We have a house, cars. money, holidays, lifestyle, everything to make us comfortable, but we all pine for what we've left.

I understand others pine for the UK and love what it is ..... for us its the last place we want to be (okay well maybe not the LAST - I mean Afghanistans pretty bad LOL!). I'm happy those wanting to be back are loving it, but I want to go home ....... and its not the UK.

sorry for the downer, a pissed off night!
One thing I have learned and that is you never expect illness/accident/tragedy to strike when you are living in another country. Sure you know it happens - to other people, but we tend to think everything will be OK for ourselves and we have the strongest partner, healthiest family etc.

Then when it does happen, no matter how much you feel secure in your life or how much money you have in the bank, your life is turned upside down and even just a few weeks out of work can seriously rock the boat.

Nobody knows the true extent of your circumstances, whatever you post on here you can bet your life there is a whole lot more to it. Nobody knows the emotions that YOU personally are going through, they think they can compare it to something they have been through, but they cant.

Concentrate on getting your husband fit again and then take it from there and I believe that it is bad experiences in life that can make you appreciate your loved ones a whole lot more.

Things do have a habit of getting better when you least expect it and I really believe in that so who knows what is around the corner?

Good luck to you and your family and I hope you get back.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:49 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That is correct!! Thanks Mike. You can only reply or give your opinion on what is written.

I also had no idea it was you Islandmom.

Can i just clarify though, that a person is NOT entitled to NHS care just because they are a British citizen. They have to be "habitually resident" in UK, which means they intend to be here permanently or at least very long term. But i certainly dont feel you should have been denied in your circumstances.

All this said, after reading your subsequent post telling the FULL story, i truly hope you get yourselves sorted.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by northernbird
I didn't realise how dire the situation is R, your FB doesn't give much away probably for obvious reasons. I hope S's health is on the mend now and that the 4 of you can work to getting back to somewhere more suitable for your family very soon
Originally Posted by Professional Princess
One thing I have learned and that is you never expect illness/accident/tragedy to strike when you are living in another country. Sure you know it happens - to other people, but we tend to think everything will be OK for ourselves and we have the strongest partner, healthiest family etc.

Then when it does happen, no matter how much you feel secure in your life or how much money you have in the bank, your life is turned upside down and even just a few weeks out of work can seriously rock the boat.

Nobody knows the true extent of your circumstances, whatever you post on here you can bet your life there is a whole lot more to it. Nobody knows the emotions that YOU personally are going through, they think they can compare it to something they have been through, but they cant.

Concentrate on getting your husband fit again and then take it from there and I believe that it is bad experiences in life that can make you appreciate your loved ones a whole lot more.

Things do have a habit of getting better when you least expect it and I really believe in that so who knows what is around the corner?

Good luck to you and your family and I hope you get back.
thanks guys, been a 4 month nightmare didnt want to share with the FB world, too many questions, wasnt in the mood for answers!

all is good now though, DH working and better, just the little matter of getting us back to where we want to be in the world
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

deadlock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
One thing that struck me about people who emigrate from Britain, is the incredibly high proportion who are abandoning their culture and lifestyle, burning their bridges with British shores, slating their country while singing the praises of a country they, in most cases, know jack about.

This is certainly true of people moving to Canada, as I did a few years ago. I've been overwhelmed with the frustration of living here and some of the ridiculous rules. For example having to do driving license here is a complete insult to any UK license holding Brit, whose driving instruction and test are far more comprehensive. I also firmly believe most other countries of the world have more courteous and skillful drivers. On a daily basis I see things on the road that both drive me insane and fill me with despair.

Like many, I used these forums to make a very important life-changing decision a few years ago. However actually living here is SO different to what you'd be led to believe, as I was. I find the cost of living in western canada unbearable compared with anywhere I lived in Britain. The cost of maintaining a home is no less, and food shopping considerably more. Buying a car here is a complete joke. Prices were 30-50% higher than the US in the day when the Loonie was on a par with US. Plus there's all the crazy add-on charges and the fact that dealers all charge full retail price. Nobody pays retail in Britain (unless they're completely stupid).

Here in BC, motor insurance is no less than a cartel, state run, money pit. I got scammed by them a few years ago when a government worker was driving illegally and collided into my vehicle. Because of state corruption I took the full wack for this. Prices are 2-3 times what you'd expect in Britain, and only after pimping your insurance cover to keep the costs at this level.

Yet despite this, speak to any Brit here and most will be slagging of their own country and singing the praises of where they moved to. There's a myth that lower salaries here are counteracted by much lower cost of living. Untrue. Salaries are lower but cost of living is far higher. Also unexpected costs are way higher meaning if you have a bad year, you'll end up bankrupting yourself very quickly.

One thing my few years here has given me, is far more respect for my own country. I wouldn't want it to change too much as I like it the way it is. One thing I would like is for Britain to take note of how other countries, not least Canada, treat immigrants. I am (allegedly) highly employable and yet still paid a small fortune and had to jump through many hoops to get my residency here. Almost all the bad things happening in Britain, and the state of the country is down to complete anarchy with immigration, allowing waves of benefits claiming Europeans from backward countries to sponge of us until it's not convenient for them any more. Probably starting to sound like a Daily Mail article but this is how I feel and many others share some of these feelings. One thing Canada does well is to make immigrants really work for and respect the privilege of moving to a new country. If only Britons could start being more defensive and protective of their culture and country.

Needless to say I do have plans to move back to Britain quite soon. I've recently gone through some family changes which need to be resolved prior to making this big decision. However I for one will have no regrets in moving back, and my experience living in Canada has only strengthened by loyalty to my culture and heritage.

Does anyone else share any of these sentiments?
totally agree with you,although i have never slagged britain off to anybody,i am moving back in august
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by deadlock
totally agree with you,although i have never slagged britain off to anybody,i am moving back in august
Hope you have already converted your C$ into GBP?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

doc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
One thing that struck me about people who emigrate from Britain, is the incredibly high proportion who are abandoning their culture and lifestyle, burning their bridges with British shores, slating their country while singing the praises of a country they, in most cases, know jack about.

This is certainly true of people moving to Canada, as I did a few years ago. I've been overwhelmed with the frustration of living here and some of the ridiculous rules. For example having to do driving license here is a complete insult to any UK license holding Brit, whose driving instruction and test are far more comprehensive. I also firmly believe most other countries of the world have more courteous and skillful drivers. On a daily basis I see things on the road that both drive me insane and fill me with despair.

Like many, I used these forums to make a very important life-changing decision a few years ago. However actually living here is SO different to what you'd be led to believe, as I was. I find the cost of living in western canada unbearable compared with anywhere I lived in Britain. The cost of maintaining a home is no less, and food shopping considerably more. Buying a car here is a complete joke. Prices were 30-50% higher than the US in the day when the Loonie was on a par with US. Plus there's all the crazy add-on charges and the fact that dealers all charge full retail price. Nobody pays retail in Britain (unless they're completely stupid).

Here in BC, motor insurance is no less than a cartel, state run, money pit. I got scammed by them a few years ago when a government worker was driving illegally and collided into my vehicle. Because of state corruption I took the full wack for this. Prices are 2-3 times what you'd expect in Britain, and only after pimping your insurance cover to keep the costs at this level.

Yet despite this, speak to any Brit here and most will be slagging of their own country and singing the praises of where they moved to. There's a myth that lower salaries here are counteracted by much lower cost of living. Untrue. Salaries are lower but cost of living is far higher. Also unexpected costs are way higher meaning if you have a bad year, you'll end up bankrupting yourself very quickly.

One thing my few years here has given me, is far more respect for my own country. I wouldn't want it to change too much as I like it the way it is. One thing I would like is for Britain to take note of how other countries, not least Canada, treat immigrants. I am (allegedly) highly employable and yet still paid a small fortune and had to jump through many hoops to get my residency here. Almost all the bad things happening in Britain, and the state of the country is down to complete anarchy with immigration, allowing waves of benefits claiming Europeans from backward countries to sponge of us until it's not convenient for them any more. Probably starting to sound like a Daily Mail article but this is how I feel and many others share some of these feelings. One thing Canada does well is to make immigrants really work for and respect the privilege of moving to a new country. If only Britons could start being more defensive and protective of their culture and country.

Needless to say I do have plans to move back to Britain quite soon. I've recently gone through some family changes which need to be resolved prior to making this big decision. However I for one will have no regrets in moving back, and my experience living in Canada has only strengthened by loyalty to my culture and heritage.

Does anyone else share any of these sentiments?

I completely agree, been in Vancouver 4 and a half years now. I am glad to say I'm moving back to the UK (specifically London) later this year pending a confirmed job. Re. the drivers licence issue, I went to Toronto, swapped my UK one for an ON one there and then swapped the ON one for a BC one to avoid the test!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:41 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doc1
I completely agree, been in Vancouver 4 and a half years now. I am glad to say I'm moving back to the UK (specifically London) later this year pending a confirmed job. Re. the drivers licence issue, I went to Toronto, swapped my UK one for an ON one there and then swapped the ON one for a BC one to avoid the test!
Haha...good for you, we should of done that in Calgary when we landed, we settle on VI and just drove and drove and never got round to taking the test.

Carn't you just ring them up when you get back and say you've lost your licence?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.