British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/kent-so-confused%3B-no-one-seems-like-any-towns-752739/)

britwhore Jun 8th 2012 12:07 am

Re: Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Hi Belles30. we looked at the Pantiles (definitely not impressed) but also walked all around the high street. Had to pop into BBC Radio Kent for an interview (always fun!!) I'm sure away from the high street is nice but purely from a shopping view I thought Canterbury was easier to navigate. Also the traffic getting into and out of the high street was a NIGHTMARE!!!!

We're in the same situation - trying to decide where we want to live from 6000 miles away (I'm in LA) For my work I have to be in London but I have been looking at the commuter belt. As long as I can be in the city within 25/30 minutes I'd be happy with that (as long as it was more than 1 train an hour!!!) We've been looking at the west side though as that's where we used to live. Only problem with that is the cost!!! Richmond and Kingston are just so nice though.......oh well, I guess we'll see where life takes us :)

Good luck!!!

Belles30 Jun 8th 2012 3:09 am

Good luck to you as well,yes Richmond and Kingston are gorgeous but to expensive for us.We used to live in Wimbledon which was way too expensive but was nice.
The main reason I have TW high on our preferred list is one our son is 18 and would like to be where there is a bustling area and our family is under an hour away.We also are considering Hertford and Ware in Hertfordshire,properties there get snapped up very quickly, also i like Oxted and Godstone and Dorking again very dear.Hubby needs to be no more than an hour to the City.
How did you get on with your interview?
Oh nearly forgot, I visited Canterbury once,though I liked it a lot it was so packed with tourists and being University town loads of students,also I think it takes over an hour to City,I may be wrong on that.(may look again)

Actually our first choice to move too when we decided that we def will return 3 years ago was Farnam,really really loved it,but so expensive and just too far from family in Essex.But who knows where we will end up.Getting excited,scared,overwhelmed all at once as DH leaves in 2 months and we follow in December.( if we ever sell our house).

cheeky_monkey Jun 8th 2012 5:59 pm

Im from Essex which obviously is far superior to Kent..however for London Hertfordshire is great esp from St Albans around to Berkshire.

jasey Jun 8th 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10108294)
Im from Essex which obviously is far superior to Kent..however for London Hertfordshire is great esp from St Albans around to Berkshire.

Haha I see where you got your username from! :) What is it about Essex that makes you think it's superior to Kent?

britwhore Jun 8th 2012 8:33 pm

Canterbury is very busy but I think that's why I like it! I also like the energy of a University town. The fast train from Canterbury West to St Pancras is 52 minutes which ironically is exactly how long it takes on the train from TW to London if I remember rightly!!

Belles30 Jun 8th 2012 9:28 pm

Yep the fast train is under an hour but twice as expensive,after I wrote that about University town I didn't mean to sound like I don't like students cos I do son being one:).Just think the countryside was so much prettier further South.mmm lots to ponder over,fors and against everywhere,makes it even more confusing:(
Essex has some lovely places and have looked at some on the google maps.Also looked at St.Albans liked it as well.

britwhore Jun 8th 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah it's super expensive :( I've just spent the morning looking at a bunch of places online as well. It's frustrating but secretly fun!! HAHAHA!!!!!

Good luck!

Belles30 Jun 8th 2012 9:44 pm

:),

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 10108580)
Yeah it's super expensive :( I've just spent the morning looking at a bunch of places online as well. It's frustrating but secretly fun!! HAHAHA!!!!!

Good luck!

:lol:

Chrissie Chop Jun 10th 2012 3:06 am

I went for holidays in Dungeness once (I think thats Kent) was one of the strangest places I have been in a while, there was a decent beach and it wasn't too busy but I think that is because there is a nuclear reactor nearby so maybe people were a little bit scared of the radiation etc. but it was a nice quiet coastal down, could be worth a look!

Chrissie Chop Jun 10th 2012 3:28 am

Haven’t read the whole thread, just bits and pieces and your original post.

As for places. Dover is a bit commercial but there are some nice areas away from the port. Broadstairs is supposed to be quite upmarket, so much so, that they like to distinguish themselves from nearby Margate! I have heard good things about Canterbury, quiet, nice old town steeped in history. Faversham is ok but seems a little bit remote. Ashford is also supposed to be upmarket and has a big designer retail outlet, so good for shopping! Sittingbourne is not so good I have heard from a relative that moved down there that it is full of people that can only be described as “chavs”, same with Maidstone. Although, the suburbs of Maidstone are nice, Bearsted and Leeds, which also has that beautiful castle. The Medway towns I would personally avoid, Gillingham, Chatham etc. the locals are very similar to Sittingbourne people and I would not fancy walking around there after dark! Gravesend is ok but is noisy along the docks. Tonbridge, Tonbridge Wells and Sevenoaks are very upmarket and expensive London commuter towns. Dartford is kind of half good and half bad, a lot of people move there to escape London, but it is next to Bluewater, which is one of the largest shopping centres in Europe.

As for Outer South East London places. Chislehurst and Petts Wood are very leafy and green suburbs, but they are quite expensive. As for Bromley, Bexley, Erith, Eltham etc. they are just typical suburban London. Normally very busy, with lots of traffic on the roads, although they are good for shopping, restaurants, nightlife etc. especially Bromley; and all have good, cheap, quick access to The City, West End etc.

I hope this gives an insight into these places, good luck :) !

jasey Jun 10th 2012 7:20 am

Thanks Chrissie - that's a LOT of info on a LOT of towns. Very helpful to have your first-hand opinions on them :)

Belles30 Jun 10th 2012 7:48 am

Jasey, I have been looking at Canterbury and surrounding villages last night and today( thanks to BritWhore) many nice places and very safe.One hour on the train to London on the fast international line though( very expensive).
I am getting very confused myself,I wonder where we will end up:)

britwhore Jun 10th 2012 8:21 pm

Belles30 just to let you know about the season pass on the HS train. I'm guessing your husband would commute 5 days a week for a city job right? I think the season pass for the HS train is about £5,500 which works out to be about £100 a week. Might be a little cheaper doing it that way?!?! Maybe.....!!

Belles30 Jun 10th 2012 8:48 pm

Hi Britwhore,yes checked it out as well,hubby would get a season ticket.Do you know if they have have concession for students?They have childrens fares but doesnt say anything about youth fares.

britwhore Jun 10th 2012 9:07 pm

I think they would have to buy a national rail card (I think it's £20-£25 a year) but that would give them 30% off I believe.