British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/kent-so-confused%3B-no-one-seems-like-any-towns-752739/)

Pistolpete2 Dec 4th 2012 11:06 am

Re: Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Originally Posted by UK IFA (Post 10414902)
Unfortunately you are in a difficult position, everybody has there opinions on good or bad areas based on their experiences.

Having been in this position myself many years ago, all you can do is make your arrangements as flexible as possible to suits you basic needs, ie close to work to reduce travel costs, cheapish renting, and good travel facilities.

This then gives you the time to "explore" and come to your own decisions. I appreciate schooling may be an issue and it's one thing you may need to deal with sooner rather than later, and if so, may be you time your move to coincide iht school holidays.

Unfortunately it is a time exercise .

Not sure who/what you are referring to.

OP is long gone!

jasey Dec 13th 2012 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 10415305)
Not sure who/what you are referring to.

OP is long gone!

Not gone Pete! Still here ... just been incredibly busy at work, but still here :)

nathfly Dec 14th 2012 11:10 pm

Chelmsford is a nice town!

Bo-Jangles Dec 15th 2012 12:13 am

Originally Posted by jasey (Post 10431936)
Not gone Pete! Still here ... just been incredibly busy at work, but still here :)

We've all been waiting with baited breath for you to report back.

Originally Posted by nathfly (Post 10434156)
Chelmsford is a nice town!

Seriously? I know they often like to play with boundaries of some counties but the last time I looked, Chelmsford was firmly planted in the middle of Essex.

jasey Dec 15th 2012 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10434234)
We've all been waiting with baited breath for you to report back.

Sorry Bo, there's a long story about why I haven't reported back, but the short version is that I ended up making a big change on the work front and have only settled in the last couple of months.

Last we spoke, we were just about to leave for our trip to the UK. We loved the time we spent there, and went to so many different places outside of London, from Kingston to St Albans to Canterbury, from Sevenoaks to Tunbridge Wells to Hammersmith (where we were based). We came back with a far more solid idea of how diverse England really is, and the kinds of things we enjoyed (and didn't) in each area. Of all the areas we visited, Canterbury felt like a potential home the most. This of course was based entirely on the 'feeling' of the place, and without any considerations about travel and costs and things.

There are many logistical things to consider, as well as the fact that the UK changed the rules on 9 July this year to make it almost impossible to apply for a visa for a dependent parent. They went from an age requirement to now requiring that the parent not be able to wash themselves and not be able to find ANY treatment for their condition in their home country. This has changed the game completely really, and I'm having to do a lot more thinking about the move purely because of this new limitation. I'm hoping though that in a couple of years that things change again and perhaps there'll be a better route then. Or we may have to try looking at another EU country first for a few years before making the move to the UK. Lots of thinking to do :)

Otherwise, how are you doing? Hope you have a great festive season!

Lothianlad Dec 16th 2012 10:56 pm

The towns of Kent, the so called Garden of England - true enough but now scarred by motorways.......of such Kentish towns which I would suggest you steer clear of I would certainly include the so called Medway Towns.....Chatham, Gillingham and Rochester, and for good measure I would also chuck into the chavmix Dartford and Gravesend as well.

It's not by accident that the odiously notorious Jeremy Kyle has hauled onto his nasty TV show a number of his lowlife "guests" from those areas who had absolutely no hesitation in revealing to all the timewasting viewers all the sordid details of their sub sewer level existence of over fecund drink and drug addicted sexual exploits while leeching off the backs of the UK Social Welfare programs.

Droidling Dec 17th 2012 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 10436781)
The towns of Kent, the so called Garden of England - true enough but now scarred by motorways.......of such Kentish towns which I would suggest you steer clear of I would certainly include the so called Medway Towns.....Chatham, Gillingham and Rochester, and for good measure I would also chuck into the chavmix Dartford and Gravesend as well.

It's not by accident that the odiously notorious Jeremy Kyle has hauled onto his nasty TV show a number of his lowlife "guests" from those areas who had absolutely no hesitation in revealing to all the timewasting viewers all the sordid details of their sub sewer level existence of over fecund drink and drug addicted sexual exploits while leeching off the backs of the UK Social Welfare programs.

Says the bloke from heroin_bludger central. So much so Irvine Welsh wrote several novels on the subject .....