British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/kent-so-confused%3B-no-one-seems-like-any-towns-752739/)

Sally Redux May 30th 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Quite funny :thumbup:

robin1234 May 30th 2012 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by DanRodson (Post 10091043)
robin1234 read that long explanation, it was kind of for everyone! And in answer to your other question, it is a bit of both really, I just like to feed off the anxiety and anguish of others, it makes me happy :D!

See, this is what puzzled me about your mental stability. Hard to imagine that the exact boundaries of Kent would cause anxiety and anguish in anyone? Certainly is not evident in any poster on this thread.. except you!

Editha May 30th 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 10091174)
See, this is what puzzled me about your mental stability. Hard to imagine that the exact boundaries of Kent would cause anxiety and anguish in anyone? Certainly is not evident in any poster on this thread.. except you!

He is a troll. A TROLL. Stop feeding him, people.

Howefamily May 30th 2012 6:51 pm

blimey what a weirdo is that guy! I feel like I am reading the rantings of a psycho

Pistolpete2 May 30th 2012 7:01 pm

Ok move along folks! Nothing more to see here! :zzz:

Dangerous_Davide May 30th 2012 9:59 pm

Bloody hell that guy was just a little bit strange yes. However, I can see why some people behave in this way. They have a unique mindset, that can piece all the puzzle pieces together so as to produce a bigger picture, which most people overlook, an unclouded vision so to speak. Albert Einstein was one of these people. And he was just a little bit odd as well. I wouldn't mind an abstract thinking brain myself, but at what cost ... my sanity?

Sally Redux May 30th 2012 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dangerous_Davide (Post 10091586)
Bloody hell that guy was just a little bit strange yes. However, I can see why some people behave in this way. They have a unique mindset, that can piece all the puzzle pieces together so as to produce a bigger picture, which most people overlook, an unclouded vision so to speak. Albert Einstein was one of these people. And he was just a little bit odd as well. I wouldn't mind an abstract thinking brain myself, but at what cost ... my sanity?

The Special and General Theory of Postcodes.

Dangerous_Davide May 30th 2012 11:43 pm

Lol Sally (we have matching hats as well :) ), I don't know, even though they are hostile, I just cannot help feeling sorry for these people :( , I want to help them. Although I do not condone his argument style, doing a little research into his large statement, the non-hostile one, he has quite a convincing argument going, he goes awol after that, but nobody actually challenges any of his original points. Although, at this point I remain impartial, I am going to look into his statements, as factual evidence does convince me more than speculation. And being a Yorkshireman, I have no idea about that part of the country, I pretty much just assume anything South of Birmingham is part of London! Although, I really do not want to attract his wrath myself, I cannot imagine it being too nice an experience being on the receiving end of that. Although, working in Government maybe he does know certain things the General Public do not, like all of those SIS MI6 guys, sometimes the secrets they know can literally turn them insane. I mean look at that poor MI6 guy who died recently how do we know it wasn't MI6 themselves who murdered him? But I do digress and this is a slight exaggeration as well!

Sally Redux May 30th 2012 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dangerous_Davide (Post 10091727)
Lol Sally (we have matching hats as well :) ), I don't know, even though they are hostile, I just cannot help feeling sorry for these people :( , I want to help them. Although I do not condone his argument style, doing a little research into his large statement, the non-hostile one, he has quite a convincing argument going, he goes awol after that, but nobody actually challenges any of his original points. Although, at this point I remain impartial, I am going to look into his statements, as factual evidence does convince me more than speculation. And being a Yorkshireman, I have no idea about that part of the country, I pretty much just assume anything South of Birmingham is part of London! Although, I really do not want to attract his wrath myself, I cannot imagine it being too nice an experience being on the receiving end of that. Although, working in Government maybe he does know certain things the General Public do not, like all of those SIS MI6 guys, sometimes the secrets they know can literally turn them insane. I mean look at that poor MI6 guy who died recently how do we know it wasn't MI6 themselves who murdered him? But I do digress and this is a slight exaggeration as well!

Are you the nice cop?

robin1234 May 31st 2012 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10091732)
Are you the nice cop?

Exactly. He'd probably concede that not only is Bromley in Kent, but Dulwich is too. At least you know where you are with Bad Cop.

Howefamily May 31st 2012 12:46 am

I dont disagree with his postcode info at all, its quite enlightening, its the freaky posts that followed that bothered me

This stuff:
Pollyana as I have already explained to BEVS, you cannot just simply remove me; do, and three more of me will appear. I am quite gifted at computer programming and hacking, it is kind of a past-time of mine, I have infected many other websites before yours! I have no friends, and no life. My life is just correcting peoples’ geographical misdemeanors (often in the rudest, most offensive and most horrible ways possible), Postcodes, and internet hacking , these are the only things that make me happy, (oh and seeing other people suffer as mentioned before, but at least two of these have the desired effect anyway ).

frreeaky!

Sally Redux May 31st 2012 1:11 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 10091808)
Exactly. He'd probably concede that not only is Bromley in Kent, but Dulwich is too. At least you know where you are with Bad Cop.

Yup, give me Bad Cop every time.

Englishmum May 31st 2012 1:53 am

I don't want to go through the whole thread.

However, last month we had a brief stopover in Kent; we had driven to England from Switzerland and we took the Eurotunnel. Btw it was our first time of taking a car on the Eurotunnel train, before we became expats we had always taken the ferries or hovercraft before we left the UK to live in the Far East. We were very impressed :thumbup:

Anyway, my spouse had to attend meetings for one day at his employer's offices in Canary Wharf and then we were heading to central England later in the evening. The prices for hotels in the vicinity of the Olympic stadium were outrageous - even for a basic Travelodge - so we decided to spend a night at a Holiday Inn in Bexley, Kent, a short drive from the M20 and M25 motorways.

The hotel was very nice, modern and spotlessly clean (on old Tudor-style pub with a large extension) and we got a free ugrade to an executive room. We strolled to the nearby Bexley 'village' in the evening and had a lovely inexpensive pub meal. There were about 4 or 5 pubs all within a few hundred feet of each other and a chippy, pharmacy, library and a good number of other shops too. The next morning my spouse walked to the station to take the train to Canary Wharf (the station staff were very friendly and helpful) whilst I called in at a traditional 'greasy spoon' cafe for poached egg on toast with a huge mug of tea.

As I was watching the world go by outside the cafe, I noticed a lot of grannies and grandads going into a hall across the street, then spotted a sign saying 'country market' so I called in. It was lovely, the room was gaily decorated in bunting; people selling home made jams, marmalade, cakes, produce from their allotments, crafts, plants and herbs etc. People were sitting down with a cuppa and biscuit and chatting away, it was so nice and so English! I bought a jar of Rhubarb, Ginger and Lemon jam.

Bexley is definitely a good base for commuting into London; the downside is that in peak hours the traffic was very busy. Bexley Heath and the countryside is very close by too. It might be worth taking a look. :)

robin1234 May 31st 2012 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10091903)
I don't want to go through the whole thread.

Good call!

Belles30 May 31st 2012 5:37 pm

We are moving back to the UK by the end of the year.We can't decide where to live though I have been researching an hours commute to London.Our 18 year old son will be moving back with us and he is our first priority,hopefully he will be having a gap year before starting Uni next Sept/Oct.I have been looking at Tunbridge Wells, it looks like there will be plenty to do and safe,we have a dog as well who I take for long walks everyday,there is no river unfortunately for walking along.Is it far to get out in the countryside or feeling of countryside without having to drive.
I have been there once years ago but think we only went to The Pantiles,can't remember much else.
As we are a small family who want to take advantage of traveling and weekends away to Europe and other parts of Britain,we won't want a big house or large garden.
Any thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.
Cheers:)