British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Keep chasing dreams or move back? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/keep-chasing-dreams-move-back-863487/)

scrubbedexpat027 Aug 16th 2015 9:46 pm

Re: Keep chasing dreams or move back?

Yes thanks guys. It's done. I do agonize for a while but when I make a decision, it's final. I'll be spending the next however long it take selling whatever little stuff I do have and wrapping things up.

I still have a big chunk of money to take back and somewhere to stay so no issues there.

I might need some info over the logistics. Is this the right forum for that?

I have learnt a lot while I've been here, mostly about myself, and it would have always been a regret if I didn't do it. In the end I realized that people come first, however determined I am sometimes to go it alone.

fulwood Aug 16th 2015 9:58 pm

Without knowing if he is on a green card or rules for visas I mean he may not be able to come back to US at all or as easily if he does not have his citizenship. So if he chooses to go back he might lose opportunity to ever get citizenship again. I don't know his cirumstances but stilll a possibility. I have regrets and I can't do anything to change it as the person is dead but I wish I redo things.

fulwood Aug 16th 2015 10:00 pm

All the best.

Downton Gabby Aug 16th 2015 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by dek (Post 11725321)
Yes thanks guys. It's done. I do agonize for a while but when I make a decision, it's final. I'll be spending the next however long it take selling whatever little stuff I do have and wrapping things up.

I still have a big chunk of money to take back and somewhere to stay so no issues there.

I might need some info over the logistics. Is this the right forum for that?

I have learnt a lot while I've been here, mostly about myself, and it would have always been a regret if I didn't do it. In the end I realized that people come first, however determined I am sometimes to go it alone.

"In the end I realized that people come first, however determined I am sometimes to go it alone."

:amen: Good for you!

Mallory Aug 19th 2015 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby (Post 11725330)
"In the end I realized that people come first, however determined I am sometimes to go it alone."

:amen: Good for you!

Yes, people come first. :starsmile:

scrubbedexpat027 Aug 19th 2015 6:01 pm

I'm booked on a flight back arriving into Heathrow on 7th September. Now I've actually committed, I didn't realize how much I miss people. I think I'd been blocking it out.

I'm selling most of my stuff but I have about 2 boxes (18x18x18") that I need to get shipped back. Any recommendations? I'm awaiting a quote from upakweship but it looks like they deal with larger volumes, and ups/fedex are really expensive I think.

scrubbedexpat027 Aug 19th 2015 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by dek (Post 11727919)
I'm booked on a flight back arriving into Heathrow on 7th September. Now I've actually committed, I didn't realize how much I miss people. I think I'd been blocking it out.

I'm selling most of my stuff but I have about 2 boxes (18x18x18") that I need to get shipped back. Any recommendations? I'm awaiting a quote from upakweship but it looks like they deal with larger volumes, and ups/fedex are really expensive I think.

Oh and my other issue is that I don't have a UK bank account to transfer my money to. Is there any way of setting one up from here? I am a bit weary of leaving my funds in my US accounts. Do most people just wait until they're back to sort this out?

Downton Gabby Aug 19th 2015 6:20 pm

Have you told your parents yet?☺

scrubbedexpat027 Aug 19th 2015 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby (Post 11727932)
Have you told your parents yet?☺

Of course.

Downton Gabby Aug 19th 2015 6:23 pm

Alrighty then.....just asked because I wondered how they reacted since you said they missed you so much.

scrubbedexpat027 Aug 19th 2015 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby (Post 11727937)
Alrighty then.....just asked because I wondered how they reacted since you said they missed you so much.

Ah yeah I see. I've been talking things through with them often on skype. They're over the moon but it is going to be quite tough for me to transition back as there's a lot I do like about my life in the U.S. However, I know I just can't have everything. The question that really swung it for me was "Are you prepared to stay for life and give up all the family/friend experiences back in England?" I just can't commit to that.

englishamber Aug 23rd 2015 7:21 am

Woaaahhhh! I'm in almost exactly the same predicament!
I too have been in Cali for four years (Orange County) and haven't found any friends. I miss home terribly but I do worry about moving back but regretting it down the line.
I hope everything works out for you back home :) Keep your chin up!

britwhore Aug 23rd 2015 9:00 am

Good for you!!!!! I know that feeling of moving back well (I lived there for 12 years!) So much excitement but a lot of worry!!!

You should be able to open a bank account really easily. You can always wait until you move back and then transfer the money from the US using a company like xetrade.com and then close the US account.

Good luck with everything. You can always take a screenwriting course - you don't need an MA. I work in the industry (film) and every writer I've ever met has said that a degree in writing was pointless. You need to learn how to work within structure but you don't need to spend thousands of dollars (or pounds) on a degree in it.

Here's to the next chapter!

scot47 Aug 24th 2015 7:18 am

Opening a UK bank account can be more complicated than you think. I had huge difficulties, even with an address in the UK !

britwhore Aug 24th 2015 7:37 am

Really? I had no issues even with being a dual citizen. I guess different banks have different rules.