British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/interesting-reading-those-thinking-returning-oz-409339/)

Westralia Dec 3rd 2006 1:25 am

Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

No chip whatsoever.

The place, by many accounts, appears to be so intolerable that you would not dream of returning under any circumstances.

Ergo, make a clean break that is commensurate with your apathy toward the place by destroying all Australian re-entry documents.

We have enough here already pining for the home country that causes the lack of cultural identity and cohesion many lament.

sassenach Dec 3rd 2006 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Westralia
How many returning are putting their money where their mouth is and revoking their Aus-UK dual citizenship/PR get-out-of-jail-free-when-the-shit-hits-the-fan-back-in-old-blighty card?

Or are the majority planning to be hypocritical ingrates?

I dare say there are a few in the clone zone side of the site who wouldnt renounce british citizenship

northernbird Dec 3rd 2006 3:17 am

Originally Posted by sassenach
I dare say there are a few in the clone zone side of the site who wouldnt renounce british citizenship

thats because they are british by birth and even their liking of another country does not take away that fact. the australia haters have chosen to live somewhere other than the country of their birth and dislike it yet take its oath of allegiance, smacks of hypocrisy to me too. I can understand those that have australian born kids but not those that don't. Westralia has hit the nail on the head even though I disagree with his method of delivery.

sassenach Dec 3rd 2006 4:48 am

Originally Posted by northernbird
thats because they are british by birth and even their liking of another country does not take away that fact. the australia haters have chosen to live somewhere other than the country of their birth and dislike it yet take its oath of allegiance, smacks of hypocrisy to me too. I can understand those that have australian born kids but not those that don't. Westralia has hit the nail on the head even though I disagree with his method of delivery.

yea yea yea what claptrap ,hand in you british nationality and stand by your beliefs and be a real aussie not a wannabee .

karaokeM Dec 3rd 2006 5:58 am

Originally Posted by TraceyW
How I agree with you! :( I've changed so much. I am full of self doubt, constantly questioning myself, driving both me and my hubby nuts with all my thoughts :o The one thought that plagues me daily "what do I do for the best for all my family?" I sometimes get so overwhelmed with it all I would just love to lie down and let the whole world pass me by. :rolleyes:

Hi

I would just like to say that it was nice to read an article that spoke of something negative about OZ. I have so many rows with OH, I've said all the things in the article before, but got the best place in the world speech. Anyway I was like you Tracy and eventually said enough was enough and wanted to return home, like everyone has said, why is everyone struggling, OH on really good wage even by UK standards but still did not have the "lifestyle". When we left 10 years ago we had 60,000 mortgage , two cars, we had three little kids, paid for our own wedding about 5,000 went on honeymoon to Tenerife, and came out here paid for flights shipping etc. Since living over here we would struggle with just a holiday. We are now moving to the middle east (its a compromise), and on applying for an English school was basically told that our oldest was so far behind his peers would not catch up. I was upset to say the least. I wonder sometimes what was this immigrating all about, I was not unhappy in UK, we are no better off equity wise, we have not made anywhere near what we would have made if stayed in UK and our kids are certainly no better educated that has become apparent. Mike Stantons words came flooding back education here is okay for the university of skippy, I just felt sick...

All the best with your decision.

Mandy

Rosie Cheeks Dec 3rd 2006 6:29 am

Originally Posted by karaokeM
Hi

I would just like to say that it was nice to read an article that spoke of something negative about OZ. I have so many rows with OH, I've said all the things in the article before, but got the best place in the world speech. Anyway I was like you Tracy and eventually said enough was enough and wanted to return home, like everyone has said, why is everyone struggling, OH on really good wage even by UK standards but still did not have the "lifestyle". When we left 10 years ago we had 60,000 mortgage , two cars, we had three little kids, paid for our own wedding about 5,000 went on honeymoon to Tenerife, and came out here paid for flights shipping etc. Since living over here we would struggle with just a holiday. We are now moving to the middle east (its a compromise), and on applying for an English school was basically told that our oldest was so far behind his peers would not catch up. I was upset to say the least. I wonder sometimes what was this immigrating all about, I was not unhappy in UK, we are no better off equity wise, we have not made anywhere near what we would have made if stayed in UK and our kids are certainly no better educated that has become apparent. Mike Stantons words came flooding back education here is okay for the university of skippy, I just felt sick...

All the best with your decision.

Mandy

I know what you mean here about being no better off.

There are some days here when I am just love being here, having a brilliant time with my kids. I forget where I am, and just get on with things.

Then I hit the lowest low, get frustrated with being here, especially when I have a mountain of paper work I am obliged to complete in my role as a "tax collector" for the government. By this I mean that there seems to be so much more depressing offical tax stuff here to do, than there ever was in the UK. Are taxes and official nonsense here a nightmare or am I being too sensitive? I really don't remember having to put up with so much of it in the UK.

northernbird Dec 3rd 2006 6:54 am

Originally Posted by sassenach
yea yea yea what claptrap ,hand in you british nationality and stand by your beliefs and be a real aussie not a wannabee .

I will never be Australian and don't wish to be. I am English choosing to live overseas. I like living here but have no intention of holding any other passport but the one I have already.

Rosie Cheeks Dec 3rd 2006 7:08 am

I will never be Australian and don't wish to be. I am English choosing to live overseas. I like living here but have no intention of holding any other passport but the one I have already.

I said exactly this when I first arrived here, what on earth would I want an Aussie passport for

But now I have been granted citizenship, and it was amazingly easy! Very very easy.
We are a family of four and everybody except me has an Aussie passport, so I thought I had better get one.

Westralia Dec 3rd 2006 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I said exactly this when I first arrived here, what on earth would I want an Aussie passport for

But now I have been granted citizenship, and it was amazingly easy! Very very easy.
We are a family of four and everybody except me has an Aussie passport, so I thought I had better get one.

It's far too easy IMO. I don't agree with dual citizenship either.

Anyone would think we are desperate for more people here. We aren't.

northernbird Dec 3rd 2006 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks

and that situation is totally understandable. I am presuming you are married to an Australian and your kids are australian either by birth or by descent. under those circumstances you would have been foolish not to have taken citizenship.

Rosie Cheeks Dec 3rd 2006 7:21 am

I was here anyway, so in my case it doesn't make any difference to the population whether I get an Aussie passport or not. But It does make me think that Australia must be desperate for citizens, as they do promote the citizenship thing a fair bit. Why is that? And it is true it was so very easy, alot easier than gaining my PR visa in the first place.

If gaining citizenship here meant I had to give up my UK passport I would not have applied.

Rosie Cheeks Dec 3rd 2006 7:25 am

and that situation is totally understandable. I am presuming you are married to an Australian and your kids are australian either by birth or by descent. under those circumstances you would have been foolish not to have taken citizenship.

Yeap, Aussie hubby etc.

It didn't even really occur to me how important it would be for me to apply until I sought advice and opinions on this site. As it was pointed out that because everybody else had Aussie Passports that I should as well just in case.

I was perfectly happy without one!

Rosie Cheeks Dec 3rd 2006 7:29 am

Why don't you agree with dual citizenship Westralia?

louise4 Dec 3rd 2006 7:31 am

That's not what your government were saying a few years ago. with the natural born aussies not keen on a) having kids in the first place or b) not having many kids the population wouldn't be able to survive without immigrants. Maybe it is so boring in the first place that having kids would make it mind numbing.
I have said this to point a fact out to you not because i hate Australia, never have, never will. But we have three adult nieces and nephews in aus ranging from 38 to 30 years and only one has got children (2 to be precise). the other 2 are nowhere near having kids and probably won't have any. This is reflected in all their friends as well.
Your way of thinking is typical Australian, he-man stylie. maybe if you all stopped being so anal and relaxed about your country a bit you might not put people off.
after all as the saying goes. me thinks you protest too much .

Nomore Dec 3rd 2006 7:39 am

If the government aren't desperate for more people then why are they letting thousands in every month??? Of course they need us, they want us..Such a large country with hardly any people here. They need skilled people to do jobs their own can't do!!! OZ needs a help in hand,,so here we are ;)