British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/interesting-reading-those-thinking-returning-oz-409339/)

Grayling Dec 18th 2006 8:12 am

Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Whatever it is I'll have a pint of it!!
Have to say - what is all this about anger? There are a lot of us that are sad, depressed or bewildered, but "angry"? strange word to use :confused:

Polly

I think it is known as 'projection'.

G

Grayling Dec 18th 2006 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Grayling
Polly

I think it is known as 'projection'.

G

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

HiddenPaw Dec 18th 2006 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Lane
I'm 'cured' of the UK.

Really? You wasted all those years mourning the UK and now you've been you realise you don't fit in there either. How disappointing for you. You're a misfit, with no sense of belonging. All those years of wondering who you are, blaming your parents for taking you away from your home, and now you realise the UK is not your home. I don't think you know where home is. You're an angry lost soul, desperate to fit in but at what - 50 years old - you realise it's probably too late. Now, the only way you know how to communicate is with jealousy-filled rage.

It's unfortunate that you are in this position but really, venting here is not going to make you feel better. You need to make some positive life changes, and hanging round with us bunch of whingers is not going to help you.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 18th 2006 8:20 am

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
and hanging round with us bunch of whingers

.. and for making me laugh with that comment you can have some karma :D

Pollyana Dec 18th 2006 8:24 am

, and hanging round with us bunch of whingers is not going to help you.

Its pretty good for us though. Amazing thread :D

Lane Dec 18th 2006 8:26 am

The issue when I commenced posting in this thread the refusal by some to accept responsibility for their presence in Australia.

The responses to my posts since then have noticably avoided addressing this issue.

People instead have attempted to divert the discussion in a variety of predictable directions.

Mostly, they have adopted an antagonistic attitude whenever the issue of personal responsibility has been raised.

No one doubts that many from the UK are unhappy in Australia.

What is utter nonsense is the suggestion floated as 'fact' that these UK migrants were 'tricked' into coming to Australia.

If someone is 'tricked', it follows as day the night that someone tricked them and it has been claimed the Australian government and/or its agents tricked 'poor innocent UK citizens'.

Rubbish.

When those same unhappy UK migrants accept that they came here because they wanted to, then they're on their way to maturity.

You seek my sympathy on account of your homesickness, then you have it.

You want my agreement that you were tricked into coming here, then you're not going to get it. Because it's clear that if you can get yourself online now for the purpose of enjoying each other's misery, then you could have got yourself online while you were still back in the UK, at which time you could have found out everything you needed to know: the population of every single burg in this country, employment figures, wages info, medical info, climatic variations, etc. etc.

I'm sick of asking you, so ask yourselves: Why didn't you do that? Were you afraid it would take the bloom off your impending flight to Australia?

Then you have no-one to blame (seeing 'blame's' your thing) but yourselves.

Too bad it you don't like the truth. The truth's not going away just because of you.

toandfro Dec 18th 2006 8:27 am

As for me -- I've been back to UK in the past couple of years. And was very saddened by what I saw. It bears no resemblence to what I remembered. Ugly shopping malls now comprise a virtual 'religion' for a certain type who obviously regard them as second-homes, seeking more and more cheap consumer items in the hope (well, I don't think they even analyse it) of bringing 'meaning' and 'fulfilment' into their lives.

No wonder their offspring hang around those same shopping malls 24/7 when they get a bit older. For many of those children, UK shopping malls play the same role as 'community' and churches used to play; a 'centre' of people's lives.

Dirt everywhere. Crowds of mildly grumbling folk everywhere. All going somewhere and all looking depressed about it.

Crime. Incredible that only a decade or two ago, there were only a handful of shots fired in the entire British Isles.

Unemployment. Welfare. Council housing; more like pens in a zoo than communities.

Decent people afraid for their safety and that of their family. People avoiding entire towns and cities because of the ugliness and danger.

Drugs. What happened to the British 'spirit' ? What happened to the British regard for other's rights? What happened to the famed British sense of morality, decency, fair-play, altruism, etc?

The UK now is no different at all --- apart from the many grating, regional accents, than any ghetto or run-down area in the US.

The UK is under siege by migrants and asylum seekers from every pit on the planet. And it looks like it. It feels like it. It smells like it. It sounds like it.

The UK is also being eroded, literally, as we speak, by the ocean. Ireland, Scotland and Wales aren't all that interested in being 'united'. Canada and Australia will become republics. England will be lucky if it's not left a tiny spot on the map not much larger than Luxemburg but without any of the charm or glamour. UK as a respected world 'leader' is now just a laughing point.

Congested towns, cities and roadways. Former beauty spots now eyesores. Displaced US influence everywhere. People with something to protect looking over their shoulders anxiously. Poor England. Lardy women sporting flabby midriffs attempting to be 'young' again. Their lardy spouses and partners needing two bar stools to accomodate their girth at the local pub where they spend their welfare cheque. Their offspring dressed in imitation of Harlem negroes, their low jeans and bare backsides matched by their cheap looking sister's visible g-strings. All of them sounding like something from Little Britain, which is not so much satire as documentary.

We spent 41/2 months paying to see and hear all this. And left thankfully. Travelled from Milan to Bari. Then back up to Abruzzi, where my husband had inherited a house near Celano. We're having it renovated. Plan to spend 4 months a year there as a base. Rest of our time we'll split between the Gold Coast and Sydney, with side visits to rural areas we haven't seen yet.

I'm 'cured' of the UK. Nice memory, horrific reality. It's just a pimple on the bum of the US and greater Europe now. It contributed to its own demise. It wrecked itself whilst allowing itself to be trashed. The empire is gone. Huge sections of the population are unemployed with no hope in sight. The rest are hanging on by their teeth. Some are doing well, but they can take it with them anytime they decide to leave.

I only came back to these forums after receiving an email from the administrators. Came out of curiosity. Was appalled to see so many wallowing in self-pity. It's the same refusal to accept personal responsibility that's contributed so much to the ruin of the UK.

All you want to do, apparently, is complain and hand sympathy around to each other like a dirty hanky.

Yes, I can sympathise with you for being in a place you don't like.

What I will not do is agree with you when you claim someone else is responsible for being here (apart from those who did so to hold their marriage and family together).

You aren't going to improve your situation by blaming others.
Blame them for what -- your unhappiness.

You should know by now that it's up to you to either change your circumstances or -- if you're prevented from doing that -- then to try to find some happiness right now, where you are. The latter would assist your circumstances.

It's just occurred to me however that some of you would prefer to just continue whinging to improved circumstances.

Your life.

where in the universe did you visit because it wasn't anywhere on this world please stop taking the pills or stop posting . I'm not sure if you have joined as a study for your uni work or just escaped from the nut house . in either case join the real world

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 18th 2006 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its pretty good for us though. Amazing thread :D

I think so.. best for a long while.. but that bit about the Empire is a killer. Perhaps Lane is Miss Marple? Same sort of era.

phoenixinoz Dec 18th 2006 8:30 am

You need to make some positive life changes, and hanging round with us bunch of whingers is not going to help you.

Shame we can't give out double karma for that one:D

Anyway shouldn't you be crying in a corner somewhere, in between banging your fists on the ground and screaming at everyone else for making you ping pong to UK under false pretences:p :D

meljor Dec 18th 2006 8:32 am

Perhaps we should show some of Lane's sad venom filled posts at some "come to oz it's the greatest country on earth" expos. Might put some poor sods off coming here, it's certainly made me more eager to go back to "posibly not the greatest country on earth but I call it home", don't want to end up like that! Btw shopping mall's they have in abundance here full of Aussie kids with nowhere better to go or is that just Melbourne.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 18th 2006 8:33 am

When those same unhappy UK migrants accept that they came here because they wanted to, then they're on their way to maturity.

I'm sick of asking you, so ask yourselves: Why didn't you do that? Were you afraid it would take the bloom off your impending flight to Australia?

I came because I wanted to. No problem in saying that 'cos its the truth.

I did as much 'research' as I could.. but none of that is the same as living here.

I have a big house, a wage that most Australians would envy and a lifestyle that most people still in UK would see as the Australian dream.... and I am bored stupid. If you see that as an attack on Australia, fine... that's your issue...

sandrainaus Dec 18th 2006 8:42 am

QUOTE=Lane]said by lane in feb 2006 But the years have passed by. One thing and another has prevented me from returning to the UK. I doubt I'll ever be able to do it now, apart from have my ashes sent back there.

[QUOTE=Lane]As for me -- I've been back to UK in the past couple of years. And was very saddened by what I saw. It bears no resemblence to what I remembered. QUOTE

Someone telling Porkys

Nomore Dec 18th 2006 8:50 am

:-) I can see this is the first enjoyment any of you have had for quite a while, lol.

Don't know if there's anything more disgusting and stomach turning than a group of vicious, small, cowardly little nonentities all pretending to agree with each other, once they've found what they imagine to be a 'common bond' -- formed of course by their creating a common target.

Yes. You are playing victim.

Yes, in order for you to be victim, you must portray someone/something as the victimiser.

You've chosen the Australian government. You are claiming it falsely 'lured' you to Australia.

You JUMPED at the chance. You were breathless.

It made you a star for once in your small do-nothing communities and familes.

You played it for all it was worth.

You came into the forums and postively GUSHED about how you were on pins and needles, waiting to see if you'd been accepted.

You tossed in your often pointless, worthless employment and homes in less than salubrious locations.

You WOULD have gone to Spain -- but you couldn't master the language and they didn't need your often very slim 'skills' there.

You WOULD have gone to Canada, which is reknowned for accepting those feeling hum-drum and less than hum-drum lives in UK. But it was just more rain and cold, not much glamour and not exactly famous for turning dreams into gold-dust.

YOU CHOSE Australia. ' After all,' you told your neighbours and families, ' We won't have to learn a new language and it's just a combination of Florida and Spain really, without all the crime. And our money will go so far. We can buy a mansion there and get a suntan. It's a Commonwealth nation so we'll have all the advantages.'

You thought you were going to live the dream.

And you thought wrong.

Now you're bitching.

Now you're playing victim and saying you were 'tricked'.

And in order to convince yourselves that it wasn't YOUR fault, you're blaming the Australian public and government and anything else you can think of.

And it's shoddy behaviour.

And you know it.

And there are many who are reading this and nodding their heads.

You don't have to like Australia.

But you DO need to accept that it was your decision. And it's your decision regarding where you go from here.

Gang attacking me will NOT help you. It won't change your circumstances.

It won't alter the truth. It won't make you happy. If it does, then you're further gone down the slippery slope to nowhere than you could ever imagine.

You're even too dishonest to acknowledge the truth when it's before your eyes. You're in a very sad way, in more ways than one

Good grief!! what a sad f**k!

HiddenPaw Dec 18th 2006 9:11 am

[QUOTE=sandrainaus]QUOTE=Lane]said by lane in feb 2006 But the years have passed by. One thing and another has prevented me from returning to the UK. I doubt I'll ever be able to do it now, apart from have my ashes sent back there.

As for me -- I've been back to UK in the past couple of years. And was very saddened by what I saw. It bears no resemblence to what I remembered. QUOTE

Someone telling Porkys

Oooh, you're on the ball! :D K on its way!

HiddenPaw Dec 18th 2006 9:14 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Anyway shouldn't you be crying in a corner somewhere, in between banging your fists on the ground and screaming at everyone else for making you ping pong to UK under false pretences:p :D

Leave me alone. Let me wallow in my own denial. :p

Long time no see in these parts....you here for a scrap? :D