British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/interesting-reading-those-thinking-returning-oz-409339/)

louise4 Dec 9th 2006 10:14 am

Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
But why on earth would your boy want to live in OZ when he grows if its such a dreadful place as you say it is with no prospects for him , l mean you are'nt taking out Canadian or American citizenship incase he wants to live there one day :confused:

His son might have a different out look to Arkon. Just because he is his dad doesn't like something doesn't mean he will like/dislike what arkon like/dislikes. why shouldn't he take citizenship, if the world is getting smaller and the aussies are becoming more european minded (friends with the world) then whats the harm in arkon coming over for extended visits to his son.

How many lifetime settlers on here would give anything for their parents to have the oppertunity in retirement to come over as and when without worrying about visas, especially if some sort of hardship should befal them and they need their parents by their side

Louise :)

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 11:29 am

Originally Posted by arkon
This just shows how narrow minded you are. Some people get citizenship because they need to for the familys sake. Like us. I hate the place but am still getting citizenship. So slag off all you like, I'm not going to be in a situation in 20 years time when my boy might choose to come and live hear and have a family, and we cant come and stay for extended periods. You never know what the future might hold and having dual citizenship keeps all our cards on the table.

I know an elderly couple in this exact predicament, Their family is mostly in Aus, they are British and unable to get anything other than a 4 year visa, which has to be re-validated every 6 months by leaving the country and getting the passport stamped. As soon as they are too old and have health issues the will no longer even qualify for that visa and they are desperate to be here to be with the family. Even you must be able to see the potential benefit to getting citizenship and the problems you will face if you were in the same boat as that old couple.

Absolutely Arkon and if you had read my post on this subject earlier in this thread you would have seen that I said other than if australian born children were involved. Your circumstances are entirely different.

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 11:31 am

Originally Posted by toandfro
I don't recall anyone saying they hated australia or australians just examples of the worst they'd come across that enhanced their desire to go home however if you feel agrieved post away

go back and read the rest of my posts in this thread toandfro and you will understand exactly what I meant.

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 11:33 am

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I understand what you are saying here but the thing is though NB, it goes on all over the world. People get citizenship for other countries for many reasons, not necessarily because they love that country. You don't need to look further than the UK for that. And the country doesn't lose anything by having these people as citizens - after all they pay taxes and contribute to the economy etc.

I know Louise. Plenty of people take citizenships of convenience just in case the shit hits the fan in their home country and they have somewhere to fall back on. I just don't agree with it.

Nomore Dec 9th 2006 11:37 am

Originally Posted by northernbird
I know Louise. Plenty of people take citizenships of convenience just in case the shit hits the fan in their home country and they have somewhere to fall back on. I just don't agree with it.

My hubby wants us to stay here until we get our citizenship...then go back to UK...then come back here to retire :rolleyes:
Now that says it all to me!

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 11:39 am

Originally Posted by paulrachel
My hubby wants us to stay here until we get our citizenship...then go back to UK...then come back here to retire :rolleyes:
Now that says it all to me!

I must be a pensioner then.

arkon Dec 9th 2006 11:41 am

But why on earth would your boy want to live in OZ when he grows if its such a dreadful place as you say it is with no prospects for him , l mean you are'nt taking out Canadian or American citizenship incase he wants to live there one day :confused:

Classic! Last time I checked under the mat I didn't posses either ESP or a time machine. HE IS AN AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN AS HE WAS BORN HERE! Sorry to everyone for shouting but if you can't see the need for a boys parents having the same citizenship status as their child then I really feel sorry for you. Because god forbid he might actually want to come and live here, and then it would be nice to have the option.

TopCat3 Dec 9th 2006 11:42 am

Of course he isn't, his son wasn't born in Canada or America and won't have the automatic right to live there as a citizen.

:confused: or just too blinkered to see the bleeding obvious?

by the sea side Dec 9th 2006 11:46 am

Originally Posted by arkon
Classic! Last time I checked under the mat I didn't posses either ESP or a time machine. HE IS AN AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN AS HE WAS BORN HERE! Sorry to everyone for shouting but if you can't see the need for a boys parents having the same citizenship status as their child then I really feel sorry for you. Because god forbid he might actually want to come and live here, and then it would be nice to have the option.

Correct Arkon! My children are all oz born.We came back here for 2 of them.We have helped the eldest to buy his first home and are helping the next one down.Our other son prefers the uk and so do we.We all have dual citizenship.When I return I want to be able to come and go freely to see my sons.I know people in the Uk that do this.

by the sea side Dec 9th 2006 11:55 am

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Strewth, mate. How can you say that about us Aussies? You need to start livin' the dream.

Want buzz in Oz? What do you think the flies are for...?

Multicultural? Heaps. We've got Tooheys and VB and Fosters and Hahn...and Tooheys. And we've got a couple of takeaways.

Pleasant climate? Lotsa sun, and drier than a dead dingo's dong. None of that Pommie rain here. And it's only goin' to get better, up by 6C in the next few decades. Lovely.

And we lock-up all them wannabee Aussies in the middle of the desert or on (other) remote islands. Human Rights are for losers...

C'mon Aussie, c'mon....

(PS. I used some Pommie to check the spelling)

Made me smile.Thanks :beer:

toandfro Dec 9th 2006 12:52 pm

go back and read the rest of my posts in this thread toandfro and you will understand exactly what I meant.

you seem to enjoy sending me back in time to read posts which do nothing to change what I say. I understood what you meant and after reading the rest of your posts again I haven't changed my mind .now there is no reason not to take citizenship with or without Aussie kids . to call people hypocrites for covering their bases is silly it's just prudent .and if you love it so much you may consider taking citizenship or you may find you have some real problems ,IE deported for committing a crime go on hols to anywhere abroad and need help sorry don't ask the Australian embassy you ain't entitled and may not be able to return and to add insult to injury in the unlikely event one of these things happen kiss your house goodbye 'cos girlfriend you'll loose it . veryunlikely but possible

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:55 pm

you seem to enjoy sending me back in time to read posts which do nothing to change what I say. I understood what you meant and after reading the rest of your posts again I haven't changed my mind .now there is no reason not to take citizenship with or without Aussie kids . to call people hypocrites for covering their bases is silly it's just prudent .and if you love it so much you may consider taking citizenship or you may find you have some real problems ,IE deported for committing a crime go on hols to anywhere abroad and need help sorry don't ask the Australian embassy you ain't entitled and may not be able to return and to add insult to injury in the unlikely event one of these things happen kiss your house goodbye 'cos girlfriend you'll loose it . veryunlikely but possible

I will not take citizenship here, I don't want to. I am English and will only ever hold one passport, that is my right.

toandfro Dec 9th 2006 1:13 pm

I will not take citizenship here, I don't want to. I am English and will only ever hold one passport, that is my right.

certainly is like it's every one else's right to take out citizenship are you a hypocrite for living here and not taking out citizenship ? I don't judge you only give you points to consider,

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 1:18 pm

certainly is like it's every one else's right to take out citizenship are you a hypocrite for living here and not taking out citizenship ? I don't judge you only give you points to consider,

Each to their own and if that makes me a hypocrite then so be it.

toandfro Dec 9th 2006 1:29 pm

Each to their own and if that makes me a hypocrite then so be it.

asked the question sweetie did not make the statement you pointed out it was hypocrisy to take citizenship and leave it must therefore be hypocritical to stay and not. I personally don't feel it hypocritical either way