Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Hand Luggage On The Plane Going Home

Hand Luggage On The Plane Going Home

Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hand Luggage On The Plane Going Home

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Thanks for that Shivster

I am under so much stress at the moment, i am not thinking clearly. Been up since 3.30am with thoughts racing through my head.
Hi Flea

I was up at 3 too, had a cup of tea
Re: hand luggage, unless they're really strict I've always managed a very heavy backpack as handluggage as well as a shoulder bag and am dressed in all my heavy clothes too.
'You'll be right mate'

How long now?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:29 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi Flea

I was up at 3 too, had a cup of tea
Re: hand luggage, unless they're really strict I've always managed a very heavy backpack as handluggage as well as a shoulder bag and am dressed in all my heavy clothes too.
'You'll be right mate'

How long now?

Morning Birdy

Funnily enough i was thinking of you and how you were getting on whilst sitting here in the dark.. lol

I am hoping to be back there on or around 10th August. How about you what are your time frames now?

I would check about your hand luggage though Tanya as they have changed everything sonce the terror attacks. I have even got to measure the size of my little wheelie case as it cannot be over a certain size
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Hi all

Just been to UK and back again

The new rules for hand luggage

Each container of liquids,aerosols,gels in your hand luggage must be 100 millilitres or less. all the containers must be in a sealable transparent 1 litre plastic bag. (Sandwich bag will do)
Even bottles of water are not allowed you will need to purchase any drinks once you have gone through.

When you get to screening point you will need to put the bag in one of the baskets, with your change/watch etc

For size of hand luggage you will need to check with the airline as each one differs Emirates rules are

Maximum Cabin Baggage Allowance
First and Business Class -
1 BRIEFCASE 18 X 14 X 8 INS - 45 X 35 X 20CMS
Plus
1 HANDBAG 22 X 15 X 8 INS -55 X 38 X 20CMS

Or

1 GARMENT BAG 8 INCHES - 20 CMS - thick when folded.
Total weight of both pieces not to exceed 26 lbs/12kgs. Duty free purchases of liqueur, cigarettes and perfume in reasonable quantities are also permitted.

* The above is the standard cabin baggage allowance for First and Business Class. However, restrictions may apply on the number of pieces that can be carried as hand baggage due government regulations and/or local security measures. For further details, please contact your local Emirates office or travel agent.

Economy Class -

1 BAG 22 X 15 X 8INS -55 X 38 X 20CMS
- weight not to exceed 7kgs -15lbs
Weight not to exceed 15lbs/7kgs. Plus duty free purchases of liqueur, cigarettes and perfume in reasonable quantities.

Infants -
1 BAG 22 X 15 X 8 INS - 55 X 38 X 20CMS- containing infants food for consumption in flight and weight not exceeding 5 kgs -11lbs - a carry-cot or fully collapsible stroller in the cabin if space available or else as checked baggage in the hold.

Note: "Wheelie" bags with built-in wheels and retractable handles will be permitted as cabin baggage provided they are within 45 inches overall limit. The larger overnight models of this type of bag will not be permitted

Hope this helps

Sandra

Last edited by sandrainaus; Jul 24th 2007 at 3:58 am.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Get an average-size backback for the laptop and your handbag and all the other bits and pieces (blow-up neck-cushion, eye-mask, ear-plugs, Valium...)

Backpack under seat in front of you.

Roll-away in bin above you.

Easy peasy.

Liquids: however much you can fit into a 1-quart/liter see-through ziplock bag, but no individual item must be more than 3.4 oz/100ml.

Relax
I flew United in May, UK to USA. ONE item only. I had to take everything out of my handbag (which wasn't v big) and put what I could into my laptop bag. They made me, before I even got to the check-in desk.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I flew United in May, UK to USA. ONE item only. I had to take everything out of my handbag (which wasn't v big) and put what I could into my laptop bag. They made me, before I even got to the check-in desk.
That's what I said earlier...although it's confusing because the rules are different travelling from the US to the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what I said earlier...although it's confusing because the rules are different travelling from the US to the UK.
Yep,I understand that

Also it depends on the destination....ie to Oz I could take whatever I wanted, but UK I was limited...if that makes sense.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yep,I understand that

Also it depends on the destination....ie to Oz I could take whatever I wanted, but UK I was limited...if that makes sense.
It makes sense to me but I think the different rules confuse many. It would be best if the rules were applied world wide...like that will ever happen.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK this one-item rule applies to UK airports only - they are really strict...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

AFAIK this one-item rule applies to UK airports only - they are really strict...
The people at security were yelling at people stood in the queue. I felt quite sorry for them...they were being treated like naughty children...shouted at and embarrassed in front of all the other passengers.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

The people at security were yelling at people stood in the queue. I felt quite sorry for them...they were being treated like naughty children...shouted at and embarrassed in front of all the other passengers.
I know - some people were in tears...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I know - some people were in tears...
One woman tried to put her handbag inside a larger bag...they wouldn't let her. They said one bag only...not one bag inside another!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:24 pm
Homebody

One woman tried to put her handbag inside a larger bag...they wouldn't let her. They said one bag only...not one bag inside another!
OMG!!

Honestly, you give an idiot a worthy job and they turn into jobsworths...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

The US carriers are really clamping down on the weight limits too. A couple of lbs overweight and they're charging excess
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Shivster
The US carriers are really clamping down on the weight limits too. A couple of lbs overweight and they're charging excess
The person at the Continental desk told me one pound over and they charge. Fortunately for me...the system had been down and the check-in lines were long...she said they hadn't time to bother with overweight luggage.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

I know Jet Blue, United, American and Delta are doing the same. Worth bearing in mind if you're heading back with chunky suitcases!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.