Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Hand Luggage On The Plane Going Home

Hand Luggage On The Plane Going Home

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:41 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hand Luggage On The Plane Going Home

I have been doing a bit of a search but came up with conflicting answers.
I want to take on board my laptop, one of those small little case things on wheels, and my handbag. I was thinking that if i put my handbag inside the little case until i got on board this would be ok.

Can anyone clarify if this would be acceptable? I dont want to turn up at the airport to be told i cant do it.
I read about certain liquids that are limited too.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hand Luggage On The Plane Going Home

Your airline website will have list to do's and don'ts.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:49 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shivster
Your airline website will have list to do's and don'ts.
Hi Shivster

And there lies my mistake..lol

I havent booked it yet as i am dithering over what day to go and on the cheap flight websites there doesnt seem to be much info. I'll jut pick any old airline i guess as surely the same applies to all!!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps!

http://www.huliq.com/801/new-air-sec...e-in-australia
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:55 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I did the handbag in the hand luggage thing when I flew last. I didn't take it out of there during the flight, though (except to get something out of it, then I put it back). I made sure that my hand luggage was stowed right above my head, too, so I could keep an eye on it.

Makes life easier to do this and just whip out your handbag at the other end. I'm sure the airline wouldn't object to it, but I would read their rules 3 times just to make sure!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:56 pm
I don't give a damn

Thanks for that Shivster

I am under so much stress at the moment, i am not thinking clearly. Been up since 3.30am with thoughts racing through my head.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Thanks for that Shivster

I am under so much stress at the moment, i am not thinking clearly. Been up since 3.30am with thoughts racing through my head.
Get an average-size backback for the laptop and your handbag and all the other bits and pieces (blow-up neck-cushion, eye-mask, ear-plugs, Valium...)

Backpack under seat in front of you.

Roll-away in bin above you.

Easy peasy.

Liquids: however much you can fit into a 1-quart/liter see-through ziplock bag, but no individual item must be more than 3.4 oz/100ml.

Relax
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:27 pm
I don't give a damn

Thanx Kate and Elvira

Is it wrong to drink gin at 6am?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Not a bit, but if you're starting at 6am then it's got to be worthy of at least a double.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:30 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Kate and Elvira

Yes. You should be drinking scotch!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Yes. You should be drinking scotch!
Zactly! Gin's more of a relaxed evening drink. You need something with a bit of kick and etiquette dictates that it's drunk straight out of the bottle.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I flew in May with British Air out of Gatwick to the States. One bag only is now allowed. If you want your purse in addition to your carryon bag then it has to fit inside the bag at the Security Gate. They were pretty persnickety about the size requirements too with size guidelines everywhere. In the past most airlines were pretty lax about allowing carryon luggage way over the size guidelines to go on board.......not this past trip. A lady in front of me in the queue was told her carryon with wheels was oversized and told to check it.

Flying back from the States was as normal........as many carryon bags and as big as you wanted.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:29 pm
I don't give a damn

Thanks scout

I dont like scotch Kate!

Back to bed me thinks.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Sydneygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
I flew in May with British Air out of Gatwick to the States. One bag only is now allowed. If you want your purse in addition to your carryon bag then it has to fit inside the bag at the Security Gate. They were pretty persnickety about the size requirements too with size guidelines everywhere. In the past most airlines were pretty lax about allowing carryon luggage way over the size guidelines to go on board.......not this past trip. A lady in front of me in the queue was told her carryon with wheels was oversized and told to check it.

Flying back from the States was as normal........as many carryon bags and as big as you wanted.
The rules differ when you are flying out of the UK. When I was there in January only 1 item of carry on was allowed. Anyone with a handbag and another item was sent back at security to the check in desk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.