Good news Britain

Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news Britain

Originally Posted by Sue
... because when you read that negative stuff all the time in the press everything good is a nice surprise
Only if you are silly enough to believe all the negative nonsense
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Only if you are silly enough to believe all the negative nonsense
That's the problem though isn't really, a lot of people do. Many of us have family and friends back in the UK who get sucked into it all and I wouldn't call any of them silly, just that if you hear and read that type of stuff often enough you start to think it has to be true.

Anyway sorry I digress and this is taking the thread off-topic.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
That's the problem though isn't really, a lot of people do. Many of us have family and friends back in the UK who get sucked into it all and I wouldn't call any of them silly, just that if you hear and read that type of stuff often enough you start to think it has to be true.

Anyway sorry I digress and this is taking the thread off-topic.
Yes I agree with you, I have just never been sucked into all the crap, it is quite evident even from frequenting these forums that yes many do believe it amazingly. I dont actually this this has taken it off topic, there are lots of good news stories if you look for them but for some the bad news makes better reading.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree with you, I have just never been sucked into all the crap, it is quite evident even from frequenting these forums that yes many do believe it amazingly. I dont actually this this has taken it off topic, there are lots of good news stories if you look for them but for some the bad news makes better reading.
I have to counter here Chris. You are expressing an absolute which could be misleading.
It is only true to say that you believe other members get sucked in to the X,Y or Z of bad news.
Now if you were to run a poll !
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

Yes you are right, I was suprised at the Uk being placed 6th, USA 25th (I think??) It's the same with the NHS, isn't it. Lots of complaining to do, but will you find superior service elsewhere? I think most other countries will offer a similar level of service with the added benefit of taking thousands of $'s off you.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

News, any news, good or bad, is how you interpret it, how it affects you personally and whether you care about whether it affects other people.

For example, someone whose home has had uninterrupted views over open countryside would probably be a bit peeved if a new housing estate were to be built at the end of their back garden, the local shopkeeper would be pleased about the potential new customers and Tom, Dick and Harriet living in another village probably don't give a sh!t as long as it's NIMBY.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 5:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MagsB
Yes you are right, I was suprised at the Uk being placed 6th, USA 25th (I think??) It's the same with the NHS, isn't it. Lots of complaining to do, but will you find superior service elsewhere? I think most other countries will offer a similar level of service with the added benefit of taking thousands of $'s off you.
Exactly right, also you need to throw into the equation that a certain % of Brits will swear blind that nothing can possibly be better in the UK than anywhere else in the world even if they have never suffered in any negative way.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly right, also you need to throw into the equation that a certain % of Brits will swear blind that nothing can possibly be better in the UK than anywhere else in the world even if they have never suffered in any negative way.
My brother was saying "Don't get me started about the trains", I didn't want to say, "Well at least you have some to complain about".
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a link to support the belief that those swearing blind have never suffered in any negative way please Chris?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My brother was saying "Don't get me started about the trains", I didn't want to say, "Well at least you have some to complain about".
It just seems to be an automatic reaction by some people which is pretty sad.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:22 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Interesting article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ritish-workers
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:38 am
Banned

Shouldnt this be in the glass half empty thread ?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
"Economists have been searching high and low for an explanation......"

Obviously the economists that they are speaking of don't read other sections in the Guardian and other recent commentaries where they have already come to the conclusions as to what is going on.

We've even established, from the Guardian article we read last week, that George Osborne is trying to correct the issue and re-install UK industry as a growth area through clearing a path to the investment that it is currently lacking. We've also established that he is likely to be denied the chance to actually see this thing through to fruition by being voted out.

Of course, even if he did succeed before being voted out, there will be many who fail to see that the resurgence of UK industry and its export markets is good news for the UK at large because the harsh reality is that in order to become super competitive in the global marketplace the ordinary worker will have to take a great deal of the pain through strict control of wages and productivity, as in Germany. Is there any other better way? It does appear that the Chancellor is going to make announcements in the interim budget speech this week (5th) that there is going to be a tightening up on corporate and personal tax avoidance and that is clearly a better way.

Of course all bets are off if the UK votes to exit the EU.

What chance good news Britain?

Just like here in St Lucia, it is precious little point being top of the class, or anywhere near it - depending upon which of several global education studies you choose to read or believe - if the only real opportunities for the workforce present themselves when they leave the country because there is no incentive for diverse UK industry to create a home-grown knowledge and skill-based economy and government red-tape stands in its way to frustrate things further.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Dec 3rd 2012 at 10:27 am. Reason: Chancellor
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Is there a link to support the belief that those swearing blind have never suffered in any negative way please Chris?
I guess not then.