Finances

Old Dec 21st 2018, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

jacks50p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finances

Hoping it's ok to ask this question. Could we live on 28,000 (possibly 35,00 but still unsure wether I would get spousal benefits in uk). Not a lot but it's all we would receive inbthe US if we stayed. We don't own a home that we could sell so we would be renting in the UK as well. Anything would be appreciated.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 10:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finances

Originally Posted by jacks50p
Hoping it's ok to ask this question. Could we live on 28,000 (possibly 35,00 but still unsure wether I would get spousal benefits in uk). Not a lot but it's all we would receive inbthe US if we stayed. We don't own a home that we could sell so we would be renting in the UK as well. Anything would be appreciated.
Hi - of course it's ok to ask! How far your money would stretch very much depends on where you plan to live, there's enormous variation in the cost of rental housing, and following that, what sort of lifestyle you seek. But in very general terms, your income would be fine for two people.

If you feel comfortable sharing a bit more detail about where in the UK you plan to live then we should be able to offer you advice that's more specific to you. Planning's fun isn't it?
Old Dec 21st 2018, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Spouse of Scouse, thank you, that is encouraging. My sisters live in Birmingham, dad in the Cotswolds. I want to be able to walk to the supermarket and have local transport, my hubby is a crazy mountain biker and we will be shipping our 2017 Harly over. We can't go until 2022/2023 when we retire he will be 67, I will be 64. At this moment in time still fit and healthy no issues. We made this decision just a week ago.....best Christmas present EVER. I have been here 10 years and have never settled.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

28K or 35K what? US dollars or UK pounds? Huge difference in the currencies. .......
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
28K or 35K what? US dollars or UK pounds? Huge difference in the currencies. .......
Oh yes SanDiegogirl, pounds, that's at today's rate of course, it could change by then.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 10:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse of Scouse, thank you, that is encouraging. My sisters live in Birmingham, dad in the Cotswolds. I want to be able to walk to the supermarket and have local transport, my hubby is a crazy mountain biker and we will be shipping our 2017 Harly over. We can't go until 2022/2023 when we retire he will be 67, I will be 64. At this moment in time still fit and healthy no issues. We made this decision just a week ago.....best Christmas present EVER. I have been here 10 years and have never settled.
Hey, we're the same age :-) Obviously you'll find rentals cheaper in Birmingham compared to the Cotswolds, to start getting an idea of areas and prices have a look at Rightmove and Zoopla.

Is your husband a UK citizen too?

Edit: I've just had a look at your previous posts - SanDiegogirl gave you some information of sponsoring your US husband, it's good that you'll be able to meet the income requirement! Do have a look at the cost of the visa application fees and the International Health Service (IHS) fees, they're not insubstantial unfortunately. Your husband would need to apply for an entry visa initially, then a Further Leave to Remain visa at 2.5 years, then Indefinite Leave to Remain at 5 years. After that he can apply for citizenship and would no longer have to pay the IHS fees.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Dec 22nd 2018 at 11:01 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Would suggest you Google 'rightmove' in the UK and input Birmingham to see price of rentals in the area:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...irmingham.html

As said, where you want to live will have a substantial impact on cost of rentals. 28K for two in the UK is not a large amount to live on but is doable.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Would suggest you Google 'rightmove' in the UK and input Birmingham to see price of rentals in the area:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...irmingham.html

As said, where you want to live will have a substantial impact on cost of rentals. 28K for two in the UK is not a large amount to live on but is doable.
I know we would be getting 35,000 for sure by staying in the US but that wouldn't get us anywhere either. I am so unhappy here I would rather be poor and happier backer home I think.
Old Dec 28th 2018, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I know we would be getting 35,000 for sure by staying in the US but that wouldn't get us anywhere either. I am so unhappy here I would rather be poor and happier backer home I think.
what is the spousal benefit you are unsure of losing when you move to the UK?
Old Dec 28th 2018, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad

what is the spousal benefit you are unsure of losing when you move to the UK?
Social Security....I will have worked for 14 years here in the US but claiming off his is more than I would recieve. I'm not sure if I would still get it once returning to the UK?????
Old Dec 29th 2018, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Social Security....I will have worked for 14 years here in the US but claiming off his is more than I would recieve. I'm not sure if I would still get it once returning to the UK?????
Check with your SS office, but as far as I understand it your SS payments will continue no matter where you live.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your SS office, but as far as I understand it your SS payments will continue no matter where you live.
Absolutely, no doubt about that.

My wife and I will be applying for our SS in a few years and we fully expect the spousal benefit to apply here just as in the USA. Her SS is less than half mine but should be boosted up to meet half of mine. When one of us dies the spouse will get the higher of the 2 benefits so if I die first then she will stop getting her SS amount and get mine instead.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

As long as your a citizen right?
Old Dec 29th 2018, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

As long as your a citizen right?
Even non-citizens are entitled to SS benefits while living abroad. Since your husband is also a USC I'm pretty sure you will be eligible to spousal benefits also.

https://www.investopedia.com/advisor...onus-citizens/

SSA has a Q&A page to determine if you are eligible.
https://www.ssa.gov/international/pa...outsideUS.html
For non-US citizens living abroad it is summarised as
Since you are a resident of one of the countries with which the United States has a Social Security (Totalization) Agreement, your payments will continue as long as you are a resident of an International Social Security (Totalization) Agreement Country.