Does it ever stop aching?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:58 am
Badge

Default Re: Does it ever stop aching?

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Hi chaps, it's me, the one who started all this lot!

Just thought I'd pop a quick post up to say that after eight months in....I still feel the same! I'm getting a bit fed up with it now, I wish I could just wake up one morning and it would all be crystal clear where my future lies.

I have to say that Michaela has hit the nail on the head with her comment. It is worse making the decision to go home, there are so many more doubts about moving back to the UK, especially for my hubby who still loves it here.

It's not that I haven't been trying to throw myself into the lifestyle. I've got some lovely mates, we have a fabulous social life (although barbis still get tedious!) I've even got myself into uni and I'm taking a BA in teaching. So I've tried to get off my butt and make a life for myself....but it still isn't working!

We even took a trip over east to Melbourne and Sydney to see what life was like over there. We met up with the lovely Badge and Mrs B, who are fab folks, they showed us around their neck of the woods...absolutely gorgeous, rural and beautiful and my kind of place. My hubby reckons that he needs warmer climates and beaches closer by! I reckon he just believes that Perth is for him and no other place will do.

We have had a weekend full of discussions and have finally agreed that I will get my degree (hopefully!) which will take a few more years yet, that way we will be able to get citizenship. I will also take a few trips home with the kids to make sure England is the place I really want to be and if it is...we go home!!

So, for the next 4 years I will be serving my sentance....doing my time.....I will try to keep focused, still try to love it ( ) and hope that one day something clicks!

Until that time I'll just pop another dozen valium/prozac/horsetablets...anything else that keeps me sane!

Good luck to anyone else out there who feels "the ache" I truly understand where you're coming from and I sympathise with you completely. I hope you too find your way of coping and sorting your own situations out....good luck.
Tracey : it was great meeting up, stick with it, I reckon you will end up winning on this one, I have a feeling with this (!) the BA will help you a lot, and Australia will turn out OK - you are both the kind of people that do well in Australia.

Badge

Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:56 pm
Merlot

[QUOTE=TraceyW]
So, for the next 4 years I will be serving my sentance....doing my time.....I will try to keep focused, still try to love it ( ) QUOTE]

I have to say I did 7 years, came to the UK 12 months ago, enjoyed the first 9 months but realised that my future lies back in Oz. Just the way it goes.

I understand completely how you feel, it is something you can't put your finger on, such a gut empty feeling, like someones has died.

I hope on our return to Oz that those homesick feelings will not be as strong as they were for me the first time round, I don't think they will be as I have grown stronger.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough

Well, we've been here in Perth for five months now, and my husband has settled in wonderfully. He had no problems finding a job in the same field as he was in in the UK, the pay is not as good but it's what we expected. Our children seem to be fine, they're only 5 & 3, so it's all a bit of an adventure for them really. Apart from the occasional "I miss Granny & Grandad" they don't really seem to talk about the UK at all. They have lot's of new mates too.

We are renting a lovely home in the Northern suburbs,we have two very nice cars, we have bought a block of land and chosen the house to be built on it.
I've made lot's of new aquaintances ( I say that as it takes a long time to class someone as a friend) and get out more than I ever did at home. We spend weekends as a family and go out to the park or the beach lot's, although I'm sure this will become monotonous over time. The weather is so much better and the skies are brilliant blue, as is the ocean. Our finances, once the house is built, will be so much better than they were in the UK, we will actually have spare money left over at the end of the month...amazing! All of the things we emigrated for, we have either achieved or will achieve.

So, with all of the above taken into consideration, why the hell do all I think about and long for, is home? Everyday I wake up with an ache in my stomach, a longing to be back in my old house, surrounded by my family, my friends and all of the things that meant so much to me. Why do I fantasize about the lovely countryside that was just down the road from us, those wonderful green fields, the hills, the hay-bails, the hedgerows full of wildlife, the kind that isn't out to kill you! I miss the architecture, the culture and history? I've suddenly realised, that my home town where I grew up and spent most of my years, has more history in it's High Street! (Aboriginal history excluded) I just took it for granted. I feel sick to my stomach by the thought that I will spend this christmas away from people who actually give a damn about me and my family.

All of a sudden I want cold, frosty weather...oh to wake up after a harsh frost, to throw back the curtains of my bloody UPSTAIRS bedroom and see the white glistening in the sunshine. To get all excited about christmas shopping in the cold, dark afternoons, to get home and put the tree lights on and snuggle up in front of the fire to watch to decent programmes instead of CSI Miami or Law & Order! I have come to the conclusion, that much more of these programes and I will actually be able to commit the perfect crime...I'd never get caught, I'm nearly an expert now!

I never thought I would actually say this...but I miss planning and having my fortnights holiday in Greece or Spain! Oh god, that's one heck of an admission I know, but it's so true! I miss being able to sit in a taverna, in a cobbled street surrounded by old white washed houses and drink cold beer out of a jug! We did say, when we were in the UK, that we would come back to the UK for holidays and pop into Spain/Greece or wherever took our fancy! What the hell were we thinking! There is no way we could ever afford to do that! We can't even afford to just pop over to the east coast! It's not until you get here and realise just how expensive it really is, do the maths and come to the conclusion that we're stuck here....in suburban hell. We spent nearly 2 years researching this, we thought we knew most things, we thought we were well prepared for any eventuality....what b*****ks! No amount of research can prepare you emotionally for the pain a move like this will cause.

On one hand, I could kick myself really hard, for doing this emigrating lark! If only I'd kept my big mouth shut when my hubby suggested it, if only I'd looked around me and took stock, appreciated it all a little more, instead of craving the adventure, of wanting to make a difference to my life. Then, on the other hand, if we do go back to the UK, I will not regret taking the chance of coming over here and giving it a go. It will make me look through different eyes at what the UK has to offer.

The hardest thing will be, for me, 'making' my husband go home. He is so happy here, but he would never make me stay if I wasn't happy, he would be willing to go back, just to make me happy. I will just feel so awful by making him give up his dream. I know this is still early days for me, it's only been 5 months, but these feelings haven't changed, I've felt like this since we got here. I wish I could be one of those people that land, get off the plane and feel that they've found their little piece of heaven! It's just not clicked for me at all. I find Australia beautiful, but bland and characterless. It has no depth, no soul. If it's beaches and barbis that float your boat, then this is the right place for you, but after five months of it, it get's a little dull!

We will have to wait until the house is built, then make the decision. I think I will go home for a holiday first, just to see how I really feel about the place, it may put things into perspective a little either way.

I just wondered, is there anyone out there, who feel or ever felt like this? Is this just early days homesickness? will it fade and get better? Did it ever start to click for you, it just took a lot longer for some than for others?

I feel so damn lost.
#
Oh you poor thing! I read your post and cried for you me and my family, we are hoping to go to Canberra to live sponsored with my job soon, I think I have buried my head in the sand for long enough and your post really made me face up to the possibilities of how I could potentially feel when we get there. We live in a village close to the country side but take it for granted, our friends and all of our family live within 1 square mile but it has never been enough for us greedy beggars!
I really hope things improve for you
All the best Kel
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

Originally Posted by Holly
We have only been here since November last year. We worked very hard to get organised and be here in Sydney .I thought I had prepared myself for everything and now it seems I helped the kids and my hubby adjust but not me. I have joined the P&C , i have volunteered at school , I have made new friends , done the BBQ's and sight seeing trips into the city.I have had coffee mornings , although no-one drinks coffee out here and I have sat and smiled thru "scrap booking" and "muffin baking". I feel I have attempted EVERYTHING i can to settle and it's just not happening.
I have tried to discuss it with my husband but he's "loving it !" and just dismisses it .Before we came out we both worked 12 hour shifts around each others shifts so 1 of us was always here with the kids , but out here my husband can't get 12 hour shifts and therefore I can't work because ne is working around the clock , ordinary shifts and "on-call ". I have suggested he goes part-time and we share the work load but he now enjoys the chauvinistic lifestyle of being the bread winner. (1st time ever)This isn't why we moved !!
So , i sit in the house with all the blinds shut , in the dark , with the AC on because it's so bloody hot out there and wonder what to do next. Not every day is like this but I can't wait to hit the 2 year mark , get my citizinship and work out what happens next. I love my husband more than anything in the world but I have the horrible feeling that unless he starts "hearing what I'm saying" , I'm going to have to make a one way trip back to the UK myself. He won'y go back for a holiday ever , so he says and reckons if I go back that I'm going to seperate us all up.I'm sorry you guys are getting all this but I have no-one else to whinge to , because I don't want anyone who knows us to feel like they have to start to take sides.
I seem to miss everything and try to be positive about Oz every day but it just takes one small thing to make me lose that and want to go home to Scotland again.
I await the onslaught of the lectures about being a whinger !
Thanks for listenening anyway.
H.
Hi Holly

This is such a sad post. Why dont you come to one of the Sydney Meets, Im going to the next one on 2nd april. Look at the Australia bit and Soapy has posted 'New Sydney Meet" in the last couple of days..There's quite a few nurses - from Scotland and we usually have a bit of a giggle. I know its awkward turning up, we all felt the same - but now we feel we've made some good friends. In fact they're the hardest part about leaving Oz for the UK.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Merlot]
So, for the next 4 years I will be serving my sentance....doing my time.....I will try to keep focused, still try to love it ( ) QUOTE]

I have to say I did 7 years, came to the UK 12 months ago, enjoyed the first 9 months but realised that my future lies back in Oz. Just the way it goes.

I understand completely how you feel, it is something you can't put your finger on, such a gut empty feeling, like someones has died.

I hope on our return to Oz that those homesick feelings will not be as strong as they were for me the first time round, I don't think they will be as I have grown stronger.

Best of luck
Merlot
what happens if you go back ot OZ and after a couple months start missing the UK again?.......hope you find HOME
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:33 am
Just Joined

simoneb03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by psb182
what happens if you go back ot OZ and after a couple months start missing the UK again?.......hope you find HOME

YOu've got a point psb, I missed the UK in NZ, missed NZ in the UK and by the time I get back to NZ will no doubt miss the UK all over again! The only thing I've learned from it all is that if you stay somewhere long enough, you put down some roots and then miss that place when you leave as you have no recent, common experience with others. Also, my daughter, now in the UK misses NZ and the whole cycle looks like starting off again
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:46 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=samjam]#
We live in a village close to the country side but take it for granted, our friends and all of our family live within 1 square mile but it has never been enough for us greedy beggars!

Oh Kel, what I wouldn't do to swap places with you now!

To have green fields and countryside around me and the knowledge that my family were around the corner, that seems like a wonderful dream to me now.

We were like you, we always wanted "more", trouble is, the more you have, you start to realise the less you actually need.

Good luck with your move, I hope your dreams are where you hope they'll be.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:11 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

We have only been here since November last year. We worked very hard to get organised and be here in Sydney .I thought I had prepared myself for everything and now it seems I helped the kids and my hubby adjust but not me. I have joined the P&C , i have volunteered at school , I have made new friends , done the BBQ's and sight seeing trips into the city.I have had coffee mornings , although no-one drinks coffee out here and I have sat and smiled thru "scrap booking" and "muffin baking". I feel I have attempted EVERYTHING i can to settle and it's just not happening.
I have tried to discuss it with my husband but he's "loving it !" and just dismisses it .Before we came out we both worked 12 hour shifts around each others shifts so 1 of us was always here with the kids , but out here my husband can't get 12 hour shifts and therefore I can't work because ne is working around the clock , ordinary shifts and "on-call ". I have suggested he goes part-time and we share the work load but he now enjoys the chauvinistic lifestyle of being the bread winner. (1st time ever)This isn't why we moved !!
So , i sit in the house with all the blinds shut , in the dark , with the AC on because it's so bloody hot out there and wonder what to do next. Not every day is like this but I can't wait to hit the 2 year mark , get my citizinship and work out what happens next. I love my husband more than anything in the world but I have the horrible feeling that unless he starts "hearing what I'm saying" , I'm going to have to make a one way trip back to the UK myself. He won'y go back for a holiday ever , so he says and reckons if I go back that I'm going to seperate us all up.I'm sorry you guys are getting all this but I have no-one else to whinge to , because I don't want anyone who knows us to feel like they have to start to take sides.
I seem to miss everything and try to be positive about Oz every day but it just takes one small thing to make me lose that and want to go home to Scotland again.
I await the onslaught of the lectures about being a whinger !
Thanks for listenening anyway.
H.
Holly I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, I have been there, worn the t-shirt and come out the over side, you are not alone, there are many on here that know exactly how you are feeling. I too had a husband who loved it in Oz and at first I really did think that I was going to have to leave him out there. He eventually realised that I was never going to feel any different about living in Oz and he agreed that we should all return and we have never looked back.

That is my story though and for a lot who have also felt like me they have stayed and have settled, we are all different and we all want different things. You are not a whinger and those on here who usually say that about people have never ever felt these feelings and so have no right to pass comment.

My friend who has been out there 2 1/2 years now still doesnt want to be there but is because of her hubby and kids says that the way she gets by is by not thinking too far ahead taking each day at a time and by trying to forget that she is on the other side of the world.

The heat problem will get better once winter approaches and the temperature drops, perhaps then you will feel happier.

Chin up Holly and keep in touch, we are here if you want a good moan

Susan
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:18 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by simoneb03
YOu've got a point psb, I missed the UK in NZ, missed NZ in the UK and by the time I get back to NZ will no doubt miss the UK all over again! The only thing I've learned from it all is that if you stay somewhere long enough, you put down some roots and then miss that place when you leave as you have no recent, common experience with others. Also, my daughter, now in the UK misses NZ and the whole cycle looks like starting off again
The perils of travelling and living in new places. At the moment I can feel I will move quite a few times yet, that is just how I am.

I have also learned to live each day as it comes so whilst I have yearnings for Oz I have started to look at what I have now. I am going to return to college to do an Access to Higher Education in Aug/Sept, we have lots of plans to discover more new things in the UK - trips out. Family gatherings and spending time with them, planning those for the rest of 2005. Doing more alternative therapy courses. The list goes on.

So whilst I reside in the UK, I am making the most of it, living life to the full
I also have the issue to contend with of my family in the UK, hubby's in Oz - this puts a whole different slant to what others may feel.

Compared to what I was feeling in Oz over 12 months ago, the homesickness thing, this has gone, because I am back but I have discovered a lot about myself and a new kind of inner calm or strength, knowing that when we move to wherever, I will handle life in a better way.

What I want to do ultimately is better suited to Australia and more accepted there, for that I have to forfeit the close family bit.

Merlot

Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Holly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
Holly I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, I have been there, worn the t-shirt and come out the over side, you are not alone, there are many on here that know exactly how you are feeling. I too had a husband who loved it in Oz and at first I really did think that I was going to have to leave him out there. He eventually realised that I was never going to feel any different about living in Oz and he agreed that we should all return and we have never looked back.

That is my story though and for a lot who have also felt like me they have stayed and have settled, we are all different and we all want different things. You are not a whinger and those on here who usually say that about people have never ever felt these feelings and so have no right to pass comment.

My friend who has been out there 2 1/2 years now still doesnt want to be there but is because of her hubby and kids says that the way she gets by is by not thinking too far ahead taking each day at a time and by trying to forget that she is on the other side of the world.

The heat problem will get better once winter approaches and the temperature drops, perhaps then you will feel happier.

Chin up Holly and keep in touch, we are here if you want a good moan

Susan
Thanks Susan.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is or has gone thru' this.
My husband is a good man , I love him very much and I really want this Australia move to work but it is breaking my heart every day. I honestly still believe that when push comes to shove ,if I really can't settle here after at least 2 years then he really would make me leave the country without him AND give me a fight for the kids.
This is the side that no-one usually discusses and it makes it very hard to talk about.
Thanks for your support.
All the best,
Holly.

If it's not too cheeky to ask where abouts in the UK are you ?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Holly is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Does it ever stop aching?

Originally Posted by Rosie n family
Hi Holly

This is such a sad post. Why dont you come to one of the Sydney Meets, Im going to the next one on 2nd april. Look at the Australia bit and Soapy has posted 'New Sydney Meet" in the last couple of days..There's quite a few nurses - from Scotland and we usually have a bit of a giggle. I know its awkward turning up, we all felt the same - but now we feel we've made some good friends. In fact they're the hardest part about leaving Oz for the UK.
Thanks Rosie and family.
Always wrong time and wrong place.(Due to shifts and lack of car)
We live too far out on the SW side , so find it hard dragging 2 wee ones around on public transport in the heat.
Maybe will manage one in the winter months.
Will keep it in mind.
Thanks again and have a great time,
Holly.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 7:43 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Thanks Susan.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is or has gone thru' this.
My husband is a good man , I love him very much and I really want this Australia move to work but it is breaking my heart every day. I honestly still believe that when push comes to shove ,if I really can't settle here after at least 2 years then he really would make me leave the country without him AND give me a fight for the kids.
This is the side that no-one usually discusses and it makes it very hard to talk about.
Thanks for your support.
All the best,
Holly.

If it's not too cheeky to ask where abouts in the UK are you ?
Hi Holly,

No it is not cheeky, we live in Cumbria on the edge of the Lake District.

I am sure that things will work out for you. The problem with migrating is that it is probably the biggest most stressful thing that anyone can through, I know from our experience, that after taking nearly 2 years to get our visas and all the organising etc that it took to get there that we were on a real high, arriving in Oz was fantastic and at first (the holiday period) we loved it then it was like being hit by a train and for me the reality of what we had done hit, I never for one minute thought that I would feel like this, after all I had been the main driving force for us going, I had convinced myself that it was what I had always wanted and what a good life we could have and we were only a days flight away etc etc but I came down to earth with a very big bump this wasn't what I wanted at all,and the rest is history.

Hang in there Holly

Susan
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:45 am
Badge

Strange: if someone is homesick after only 4 weeks you have to ask the question whether they are a)fit to go overseas and b) leave home in the first place...most bizarre, seriously(!) This really puzzles me! You have to give it 2 years, and you have to KNOW that Australia is for you. I always used to say, you either know or you don't. ???!!!

:scared:

Old Mar 25th 2005, 3:50 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
Hi Holly,

Arriving in Oz was fantastic and at first (the holiday period) we loved it then it was like being hit by a train and for me the reality of what we had done hit, I never for one minute thought that I would feel like this, after all I had been the main driving force for us going, I had convinced myself that it was what I had always wanted and what a good life we could have and we were only a days flight away etc etc but I came down to earth with a very big bump this wasn't what I wanted at all,and the rest is history.

Susan
This is exactly how I was. We loved the 'holiday period', getting new furniture, looking for and moving into a rental with a pool was all a new kind of novalty for us! Then like you it hit me too. The homesickness was awful for both me and our daughter. It was something I didn't and couldn't get rid of and it only left when we started our plans to return to the UK.

Good luck Holly.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:28 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Holly]My husband is a good man , I love him very much and I really want this Australia move to work but it is breaking my heart every day. I honestly still believe that when push comes to shove ,if I really can't settle here after at least 2 years then he really would make me leave the country without him AND give me a fight for the kids.
This is the side that no-one usually discusses and it makes it very hard to talk about.QUOTE]

Hmm. I know its a prickly one but I think it is something you need to discuss openly with him. Let him know your concerns, and put to him, What if it doesn't work out or I can't make the adjustment? etc. Better to develop your contingency planning now, and if the shit hits the fan, well it would have in time anyway, and a long way away from your support network of friends and family.

A marriage is a partnership and no marriage will work if the partners don't listen to each others thoughts and feelings and talk about their own. How else can you build a future together that keeps you wanting to be with someone for the "right" reasons?

Hate to say it, but if you think he would drag you across the world and force you to live there when you hated it or else expect you to go back to UK by yourself, with bugger all chance of seeing your kids regularly, then maybe you need to query your relationship.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.