Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:39 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Personally, I find your response far more offensive than Scoobys!!
I know from personal experience that just because you work in the healing of minds "trade" It does not preclude YOU from the same thoughts, feelings and emotions of all other human beings. Are you seriously saying that because you are a psychologist/counsellor/ or other various fields to do with the human condition that somehow you are "different"? RUBBISH!
I think Scooby is entitled to the same freedom of expression as everyone else regardless of her profession. Just because it does not match your views doesnt mean she isnt entitled to voice them.
And in her defence, she was talking in the "general" NOT a personal attack as your post was.

Some of what she said i agree with, some i didnt, but i suggest YOU look at your "person centred approach" and take your head out of your arse.
What she said was "...If you dig deeper, there is nothing there - no intelligence, no empathy, no etiquette, no character. In two years I have not made any Australian friends, put it honestly, I don't like them as people, dont like their culture..." This is very offensive indeed.

She said this about AUSTRALIANS. The fact that it was generalised made it worse. If someone said this about people from a country in Asia, Africa, South America, it would be seen as deeply racist. The fact that she hold this opinion about people, expressing it here so freely, and counsels them, is very sad for those being counselled. (I am not a counsellor by the way.)

Last edited by ShozInOz; Dec 15th 2007 at 7:46 am.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by yellowbrickroad
Have you got nothing better to do? How sad is that.......

I have .....Im catching a flight to the UK whoopeeeeeee
Didn't you just say you looked through my posts...?

I do hope it works out in the UK for you seriously, but don't discount 'ping pong'ing either. Many, many return to Aus after returning tot he UK. They just don't say so on this forum. We've certainly made our mind up by the way - that was a problem when we were in Aus.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Dec 15th 2007 at 7:49 am.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:45 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
What she said was "...If you dig deeper, there is nothing there - no intelligence, no empathy, no etiquette, no character. In two years I have not made any Australian friends, put it honestly, I don't like them as people, dont like their culture..." This is very offensive indeed.

She said this about AUSTRALIANS. The fact that it was generalised made it worse. If someone said this about people from a country in Asia, Africa, South America, it would be seen as deeply racist. The fact that she hold this opinion about people, expressing it here so freely, and counsels them, is very sad for those being counselled. (I am not a councillor by the way.)
No, you cant be a counsellor. You cant even spell the word correctly!

So, in your opinion it is a far worse crime to make a generalised comment about a whole group of people than to dig the knife in and verbally assasinate an individual? Pray tell how you make that judgement?
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:53 am

No, you cant be a counsellor. You cant even spell the word correctly!

So, in your opinion it is a far worse crime to make a generalised comment about a whole group of people than to dig the knife in and verbally assasinate an individual? Pray tell how you make that judgement?
And you can't spell assassinate if you want to get ridiculous... (But I am not a councillor either.)

I wasn't assassinating anyone. I was expressing my horror. Yes, I think it is worse to make a generalised comment. If I said the exact same comment that I quoted about Chinese, Indians, etc, I am fairly sure would - justifiably - be banned from this board.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Dec 15th 2007 at 7:56 am.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:12 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

And you can't spell assassinate if you want to get ridiculous... (But I am not a councillor either.)

I wasn't assassinating anyone. I was expressing my horror. Yes, I think it is worse to make a generalised comment. If I said the exact same comment that I quoted about Chinese, Indians, etc, I am fairly sure would - justifiably - be banned from this board.

Fair do's, but seeing as i dont often hang out with assasins i reckon i could be forgiven, unlike a "psychologist" who must spend a bit of time with counsellors from time to time, or at least communicate with them on a professional basis. But thats by the by... (you need a humour transplant BTW... )

You still havent explained why you think it is worse to make a general derogitory comment rather than one aimed at an individual. I am off out for a beer it's christmas! I wait with unbaited breath for the reply .

Oh! Just before i go, how come it is ok for immigrants who go to the UK to slag off Britain, denegrate our lifestyle, say derogitory remarks about our psyche and practically any other negative points scoring they can come up with and no one says jack.... yet scoobydoo who is herself an immigrant to Australia, of same colour, supposedly of similar creed yet she is not entitled to express her opinion whether we agree with it or not?
Most of us know she was just having a rant and offloading some steam.
Please dont start bleating racism, i am married to a brown maori. Wont wash with me.

I'll have a beer for you goodnight.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:18 am

Fair do's, but seeing as i dont often hang out with assasins i reckon i could be forgiven, unlike a "psychologist" who must spend a bit of time with counsellors from time to time, or at least communicate with them on a professional basis. But thats by the by... (you need a humour transplant BTW... )

You still havent explained why you think it is worse to make a general derogitory comment rather than one aimed at an individual. I am off out for a beer it's christmas! I wait with unbaited breath for the reply .

Oh! Just before i go, how come it is ok for immigrants who go to the UK to slag off Britain, denegrate our lifestyle, say derogitory remarks about our psyche and practically any other negative points scoring they can come up with and no one says jack.... yet scoobydoo who is herself an immigrant to Australia, of same colour, supposedly of similar creed yet she is not entitled to express her opinion whether we agree with it or not?
Most of us know she was just having a rant and offloading some steam.
Please dont start bleating racism, i am married to a brown maori. Wont wash with me.

I'll have a beer for you goodnight.
Yep, I know plenty! But I don't work with any - I work in industry. It was early here... I think it is far worse to label an entire population than to express anger at an individual. One is generalised and based on prejudice and stereotyping. One is specific and based on what someone has specifically said, and gives them a chance to respond.

I don't think it is fine for immigrants to do what you suggest. I never did say that was OK. I'm not looking for anything to wash with you. But if she said what she said in the context of most other countries, it would be seen as racist. Your defence that she (may or may not be) the same colour and 'creed' does not wash with me either. Now, go enjoy your beer. I've got better things to do too.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Dec 15th 2007 at 8:30 am.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:48 am
Just Joined

yellowbrickroad is on a distinguished road

.. I think it is far worse to label

.......if she said what she said in the context of most other countries, it would be seen as racist.

So why is it you label english as 'chavs'? You havent addressed this have you - why is that? Is it ok for you in your high and mighty ivory tower of wealth and knowledge not to answer a question?

What do you mean by 'most other countries'? Are you suggesting that some countries it can be counted as a racist remark, but others not. Why is that, and who you are you, in the high and mighty to judge.

Get off of your high horse and come back down to earth. Flea, you are dead right, good on ya for having the guts to stand up to what would seem like a high and mighty, two faced arrogant bully.. I am sad that Scooby is no longer a member of this site... but not surprised. It seems that you cant voice your opinion without getting a personal attack.

Take off your Psychologist hat, your not at work.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:58 am

.. I think it is far worse to label

.......if she said what she said in the context of most other countries, it would be seen as racist.

So why is it you label english as 'chavs'? You havent addressed this have you - why is that? Is it ok for you in your high and mighty ivory tower of wealth and knowledge not to answer a question?

What do you mean by 'most other countries'? Are you suggesting that some countries it can be counted as a racist remark, but others not. Why is that, and who you are you, in the high and mighty to judge.

Get off of your high horse and come back down to earth. Flea, you are dead right, good on ya for having the guts to stand up to what would seem like a high and mighty, two faced arrogant bully.. I am sad that Scooby is no longer a member of this site... but not surprised. It seems that you cant voice your opinion without getting a personal attack.

Take off your Psychologist hat, your not at work.
When have I labelled the English (or British) chavs? You need to read those 'sad' searches of past posts (your words) more carefully.

No - racist remarks can be made of ALL people. But some people would only accept something as racist when it applies to obviously different people.

Try putting the word 'English' in the email that scoobydoo wrote. Then is it OK?
Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:47 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ShozInOz;5671281]When have I labelled the English (or British) chavs? You need to read those 'sad' searches of past posts (your words)

REALLY - then read this, your words, my copy and paste. Do you not remember, or better still are you trying to pull the wool. Glad I am not your client or your student ...........

ThJun 13th 2005, 3:21 pm #66
ShozInOz
Planning the great escape

Location: Chester, UK > Coogee, Sydney > South Coast Hants, UK > Back to Aus Feb 2008

Re: Poll: Are you happier in Australia ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not happier, but more relaxed due to lack of shite that seems to come with the UK, or at least where I lived, i.e. one the one hand chavs, and on the other a negative population. Australia is a more positive place to live in spite of the fact that much of the same crap is still present.

How quick you forget, how quick you change your view to suit your mood. No you cant make up your mind can you. But I can.

No, I wont be a ping pong (boomerang) pom, and I wont be back in Australia.

I have heard that there are many like you ShozinOz who come and go, and cant make up their minds. You change like the wind. But I wont.

I dont care what you do to be honest, but I do care what you say to others and how you try and cover up what you have said etc.

Flea - good on ya.....Scooby good on ya... I stand by you 100percent.

This is a forum for debate, not a slating of others. You quote racism, but you act like a racist yourself.. becareful of what you say.. You as a psychologist should know not to judge others... so why do you... glad im not your client.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:51 am

[QUOTE=yellowbrickroad;5671378]
When have I labelled the English (or British) chavs? You need to read those 'sad' searches of past posts (your words)

REALLY - then read this, your words, my copy and paste. Do you not remember, or better still are you trying to pull the wool. Glad I am not your client or your student ...........

ThJun 13th 2005, 3:21 pm #66
ShozInOz
Planning the great escape

Location: Chester, UK > Coogee, Sydney > South Coast Hants, UK > Back to Aus Feb 2008

Re: Poll: Are you happier in Australia ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not happier, but more relaxed due to lack of shite that seems to come with the UK, or at least where I lived, i.e. one the one hand chavs, and on the other a negative population. Australia is a more positive place to live in spite of the fact that much of the same crap is still present.

How quick you forget, how quick you change your view to suit your mood. No you cant make up your mind can you. But I can.
AGAIN - I did not label the English as chavs. My profession has nothing to do with it - I didn't raise it, and I don't have 'clients'. You are making some assumptions there.

Anyway, there is no point continuing this, else it will be longer than the 'three word story'. We clearly don't get each other, so I'm leaving it there. Good luck back home.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:51 am
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

I lived in Brisbane from 1984 till 1998, we decided to come home after a visit the year before....I do not regret it one bit, there are problems in every Country and The UK is no better or worse than moct Countries, we live in the Cotswolds and I love the seasons and the way of life which I did not realise I missed so much. Brisbane was good but I am where my heart is happy....no regrets.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:57 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ShozInOz;5671389]

AGAIN - I did not label the English as chavs.
We clearly don't get each other, so I'm leaving it there. Good luck back home.

Do you have an alias then? lol.

Yes you did label the english as chavs.

We do get each other, your are telling fibs and I am not. Nice try.

People like you dont admit their mistakes do they?
Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:02 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

[QUOTE=ShozInOz;5671389]

AGAIN - I did not label the English as chavs. My profession has nothing to do with it - I didn't raise it, and I don't have 'clients'. You are making some assumptions there.

Anyway, there is no point continuing this, else it will be longer than the 'three word story'. We clearly don't get each other, so I'm leaving it there. Good luck back home.
I found more Chavs in Brisbane and anti-social behaviour than I do back in the UK.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:00 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Just a (probably controversial) observation - I don't really buy this whole "We're doing it for our children" argument. I don't have kids so I may be out of my depth here, but don't your own feelings and desire to be happy and content come into it, or is it just not a consideration? I mean, do people genuinely go, "I hate it here in Australia - I'm lonely and homesick, but this is a better environment for the kids (ie the sun's out) so that's it, I'm staying"? I'm having a hard time believing that people actually do that, because you'd have to have such a low opinion of life for children the UK that's it's probably just built on Daily Mail type nonsense. Call me a cynic but I'm thinking the kids are largely just an excuse to justify moving. As we can see on this thread, there's trouble in both countries, it seems that Aus education is a little behind the UK, and the kids will probably just get teased and bullied for being "poms", so how that adds up to a better life, well...I dunno. Nearly every family who moves out there uses the "better life for the kids" argument - so what happens when they come back? Have they suddenly decided that actually their kids futures aren't that high on the agenda anymore? Or is it more likely that the parents were happier in the UK and that's what really matters? I'll take a guess and say it's that the parents feelings come first, and that they have a more balanced view of the UK and realise that kids here aren't actually robbing and murdering people left right and center, and the education system ain't that bad. Think what I'm basically trying to say is put yourself first and don't believe all the rubbish in the tabloids. One more thing - do the current generation of kids in the UK all have chronic hydrophobia or something? What's all this "it's raining so we can't leave the house" nonsense? Fairly sure this country didn't become a major power by previous generations looking out of the window and going "eeeh, it's raining again. Think I'll put the kettle on and watch telly." What a bunch of wimps.

As for "ping pongers" - all they're doing is moving to somehwere that they've already lived before and already know they don't like it, but it's just the lesser of two evils. Which place will you be the least miserable in? You can't go through life like that.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:11 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
do the current generation of kids in the UK all have chronic hydrophobia or something? What's all this "it's raining so we can't leave the house" nonsense? Fairly sure this country didn't become a major power by previous generations looking out of the window and going "eeeh, it's raining again. Think I'll put the kettle on and watch telly." What a bunch of wimps.
Spot on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.