Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by brits1
I don't know really most people we know seem to have money enough to pay bills,mortgage, food etc and not much left over.....same old,same old really wherever you live but when I look around not many of our friends have the money left over to book two weeks away from W.A for holidays etc...or even treat themselves to bying clothes from the "nicer" shops......etc
That is a really valid point. This is why I always say to folks wanting to move out here, that they should expect in most cases to not be able to afford a family two week break abroad as they would in the UK. In most cases even a family trip from coast to coast will cost a bomb, although many say that they are content with just staying in one place for the rest of their days.

I do think that here one is able to get the tax system to work to your advantage though if you are smart about your tax return. I have found that heaps of things can be written off to tax here that one could never do in the UK. There are so many things that one is able to claim if you are working and smart about how you submit your return. I have known people to completely offset their medicare levy through this and in many cases end up receiving payouts each year.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
....I do think that here one is able to get the tax system to work to your advantage though if you are smart about your tax return. I have found that heaps of things can be written off to tax here that one could never do in the UK. There are so many things that one is able to claim if you are working and smart about how you submit your return...........
Personally I prefer a tax system which is equitable and doesn't require people to be 'smart' (whatever that means) in writing off things.

Why should hard-working people who are not particularly clued up about the intricacies of the tax system be at a disadvantage?

I also prefer to spend my time doing something other than trying to find yet another tax loophole.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:18 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I do think that here one is able to get the tax system to work to your advantage though if you are smart about your tax return. I have found that heaps of things can be written off to tax here that one could never do in the UK. There are so many things that one is able to claim if you are working and smart about how you submit your return. I have known people to completely offset their medicare levy through this and in many cases end up receiving payouts each year.
I am confused by this. My Oh worked for himself for a good few years both here in Oz and the UK, we also have/had good accountants. So far, we haven't come across anything lawful that we can offset here that we couldn't in the UK. So, could you enlarge upon what you have just posted?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Personally I prefer a tax system which is equitable and doesn't require people to be 'smart' (whatever that means) in writing off things.

Why should hard-working people who are not particularly clued up about the intricacies of the tax system be at a disadvantage?

I also prefer to spend my time doing something other than trying to find yet another tax loophole.
point taken, but it does not require a phd. Also means that ordinary working people - not self-employed) have the chance to claim back things that they could not in other tax systems. Lets everyone have an equal go at getting something back.I know of people from bankers all the way down to labourers who are doing this within the law..

Go speak to your good accountants about this (can all be done in an online assesment BTW).. I unfortunately have other things to do with my day than to help you with your tax return. Good luck
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:42 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Go speak to your good accountants about this (can all be done in an online assesment BTW).. I unfortunately have other things to do with my day than to help you with your tax return. Good luck ........

WTF...
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:45 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

point taken, but it does not require a phd. Also means that ordinary working people - not self-employed) have the chance to claim back things that they could not in other tax systems. Lets everyone have an equal go at getting something back.I know of people from bankers all the way down to labourers who are doing this within the law..

Go speak to your good accountants about this (can all be done in an online assesment BTW).. I unfortunately have other things to do with my day than to help you with your tax return. Good luck
You are talking crap. Been here 11 years, I work in accounts,wages etc. and help people with their online tax returns, so know the system quite well. Thank you very much for your very rude attitude, it speaks volumes.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
You are talking crap. Been here 11 years, I work in accounts,wages etc. and help people with their online tax returns, so know the system quite well. Thank you very much for your very rude attitude, it speaks volumes.
One thing I do like is that you can claim child care against tax which when I worked full time in the UK you were unable to do. Things may have changed now mind.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I am confused by this. My Oh worked for himself for a good few years both here in Oz and the UK, we also have/had good accountants. So far, we haven't come across anything lawful that we can offset here that we couldn't in the UK. So, could you enlarge upon what you have just posted?
I'm not that flash with tax and so on, but last time I went back to Uk and was talking to my mum's husband (a business owner) about what my OH (also a business owner in Aus) can write off in tax, there seemed to be quite a few.

The deductions on company cars/vehicles are much more generous in Aus. All forms of client/staff entertainment (like xmas parties, lunches with clients etc) are non-claimable in UK, whereas they are here. If you work from your place of residence, you can claim for that part of the house and the associated part of bills, like heating etc. (you will tho have to pay CG on that part of the house if you sell it).

They're just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Accountants can show you how to claim the max, and their fees are deductible too I believe, so you won't be too much out of pocket for the extra advice.

*Disclaimer* some of the above may be incorrect, my tax knowledge is very basic!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
One thing I do like is that you can claim child care against tax which when I worked full time in the UK you were unable to do. Things may have changed now mind.
This was absolutely invaluable to me when I was a single parent with two little ones to support, and is absolutely brilliant. However, once your household income is over about $80k a year you get nada.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:49 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
The UK has a much stronger economy than Aus]
I don't understand this; 3 years ago when we came to Oz we got $2.45 for each UK Pound; yesterday the commercial rate (mere mortals get worse) was $2.17 for each Pound. Doesn't this suggest the Oz economy is better or forecast to be better?

I've been waiting for the rate to Yo-Yo back up as I still have some cash in the UK to bring over but at this rate the Pound will soon only be worth $2
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:55 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Agree 100%. I think the Politicians prefer complexity though , it is easier to get lots more from the poor than from those who can afford professional help.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rabsody
I'm not that flash with tax and so on, but last time I went back to Uk and was talking to my mum's husband (a business owner) about what my OH (also a business owner in Aus) can write off in tax, there seemed to be quite a few.

The deductions on company cars/vehicles are much more generous in Aus. All forms of client/staff entertainment (like xmas parties, lunches with clients etc) are non-claimable in UK, whereas they are here. If you work from your place of residence, you can claim for that part of the house and the associated part of bills, like heating etc. (you will tho have to pay CG on that part of the house if you sell it).

They're just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Accountants can show you how to claim the max, and their fees are deductible too I believe, so you won't be too much out of pocket for the extra advice.

*Disclaimer* some of the above may be incorrect, my tax knowledge is very basic!
All very good examples- I for instance know people who are claiming Foxtel as they need the Bloomberg channel to watch the stock market.. Little things like that make all the difference. Clothes, internet, sunnies and buggie smugglers even are all tax deductable in the correct industry. Heck even strippers in Oz can write off the cost of their outfits and lingerie as part of uniforms..
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

All very good examples- I for instance know people who are claiming Foxtel as they need the Bloomberg channel to watch the stock market.. Little things like that make all the difference. Clothes, internet, sunnies and buggie smugglers even are all tax deductable in the correct industry. Heck even strippers in Oz can write off the cost of their outfits and lingerie as part of uniforms..
Yeah, I have to admit, we are able to claim Foxtel also.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rabsody
Yeah, I have to admit, we are able to claim Foxtel also.
That's something that would NEVER happen in the UK!!!

My OH has worked as an accountant for 24 years in the UK and having been working here in WA for only a few months is astonished at what companies, self employed and even working individuals can claim for that either were never allowed or have since been disallowed in the UK...
He is also surprised at the lengths the rich (and some not so rich) go to to reduce their tax bills such as setting up numerous trusts and superannuation funds etc.....I personally find it all very complicated and so leave it to him!!
I think getting a good accountant over here is the key......
BTW you could claim use of home, certain vehicle expenses, accountancy fees and some (although VERY limited) entertainment expenses in the UK..
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:49 am
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

My thoughts, he is South African though.

Last edited by guest5234; Jan 16th 2008 at 7:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.