57.35%
No
42.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

....do you trust the UK police?

Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ....do you trust the UK police?

Originally Posted by rebs
I thought of this thread the other day ... this has cropped up on quite a few discussion shows on the tv & radio recently.

One thing they have been quoting is a survey which suggests that the level of public trust in the UK remains pretty constant at around 60% ish... and has been at this level for some time.
Most people probably have perfectly ok interactions with the police, but only 60% satisfaction doesn't sound that great to me. I'm not sure that the police force is any better or worse than it was in the past, it's just that the papers are more willing to publish cases of apparent abuse and dishonesty from the police. I'm still not sanguine about the ethics of many police.

Plebgate is perhaps different from the usual stories of racism and excessive force in that it involves a Tory cabinet minister who is now convinced that he was framed by the police.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

This poll shows a 72% satisfaction rate and although only a small sample is probably representative, thinking about it 60% probably isnt a true reflection of how the average person feels.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

This is for Australia and was back in the early 90's I think but public respect for the Police varied from 66% in I think New South Wales to an amazing 38% in Queensland.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I think in the Andrew Mitchell case it's more Teresa May playing petty politics than any concern for public safety.

I'd prefer it if politicians got their own house in order first.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I think in the Andrew Mitchell case it's more Teresa May playing petty politics than any concern for public safety.

Its not often we agree
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:08 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

I can't agree with you on this. I think it's a defining moment in how politicians see the police. The public perception of the police might not have changed much, but I believe that Plebgate has soured the relationship between the police and many powerful politicians almost to breaking point. That cannot be good for UK civic life.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Well the UK Government says it never directs police actions.....I don't really believe that, especially when it comes to terrorism......so yes the politicians are also to blame. That's a worrying combination for personal liberty.
The police are always under government control, let's face ti it's the government that sets the laws that they are paid to enforce. Sometimes they go a bit far and overstep the mark, but there are means to fight that, aand since the Lawrence affair I suspect that, on the surface at least, they are less racist. Complaints invesigated within the police force concerned, arfe always on shaky ground, if they are found to have hushed things up, then the axe falls, heavily. There are grounds for a system whereby complaints are heard by a totally independent body, and not involving any police officers at all, recent things that have come to light do show that there is a fair degree of cover up.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I can't agree with you on this. I think it's a defining moment in how politicians see the police. The public perception of the police might not have changed much, but I believe that Plebgate has soured the relationship between the police and many powerful politicians almost to breaking point. That cannot be good for UK civic life.
I only hope it has soured the relationship with powerful polishituns! Police were never supposed to be political weapons to control the public, but they are increasingly so. Anything that causes that strong tie to be lessened is OK with me.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The police are always under government control, let's face ti it's the government that sets the laws that they are paid to enforce. Sometimes they go a bit far and overstep the mark, but there are means to fight that, aand since the Lawrence affair I suspect that, on the surface at least, they are less racist. Complaints invesigated within the police force concerned, arfe always on shaky ground, if they are found to have hushed things up, then the axe falls, heavily. There are grounds for a system whereby complaints are heard by a totally independent body, and not involving any police officers at all, recent things that have come to light do show that there is a fair degree of cover up.
If there is now a strained relationship between Police and Government, they are more likely to initiate stronger investigation into some Police actions.

Good.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your point of reference. At least in the UK there is a relatively free press and abuse of power or corruption by both police and politicians is reported on and those responsible held to account. Compare this to say Russia or Italy, where corruption is endemic, and I think the UK holds up very well.

The MPs expenses scandal is a classic case. A few MPs play the system in order to claim more than they are entitled to and the entire country goes wild. Plenty of other countries even in Europe where politicians embezzle millions in public funds and no-one bats an eyelid.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Depends on your point of reference. At least in the UK there is a relatively free press and abuse of power or corruption by both police and politicians is reported on and those responsible held to account. Compare this to say Russia or Italy, where corruption is endemic, and I think the UK holds up very well.

The MPs expenses scandal is a classic case. A few MPs play the system in order to claim more than they are entitled to and the entire country goes wild. Plenty of other countries even in Europe where politicians embezzle millions in public funds and no-one bats an eyelid.
Yes, I have to agree. It can also be compared to Australia. In my State alone the Police Complaints Authority are Police investigating Police. They have been criticised for years now.

I put up a post on a newspaper site and called it the Police Corruption Authority. Believe it or not it was a genuine and classic Freudian slip. The paper had no trouble printing the letter.

I know the PCA. Very well indeed. I know how they 'investigate'. The system is designed to protect the Police defendant. It is blatant. It can be so because it is endorsed by Government.

It blew up in the face of one MP. I can't print here what he told me.

I will support any damned thing that holds Police to account IF they behave badly/illegally.

.................and I have not a shred of doubt that putting Police here in black uniforms was deliberate and calculated.

But we are talking about the UK. OK!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 12:00 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

I don't think the UK should be complacent. It's too easy to fall back on comfortable beliefs and our own experiences and ignore the shouts of others.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I'm not sure that 'Plebgate' is in the same bracket as the more serious police actions mentioned in your original post. Plebgate has been investigated the IPCC have done there job and Teresa May is making the most of it.
I'd be more concerned about politicians using the police to benefit their own agendas, such as the Damien Green' story, than a souring of relationships between them ( police and politicians ).

I'm convinced the relationship between the labour government and Ian Blair was not good for UK civic life.

The police shouldn't play politics and vice versa.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
I don't think the UK should be complacent. It's too easy to fall back on comfortable beliefs and our own experiences and ignore the shouts of others.
Totally agree. Most people do not realize what a fine line there is between our comfortable existence and how easily and quickly it can change into politicized extremes or anarchy.

We sleepwalk into it.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Would you trust a politician ?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'd trust a policeman/woman before I trusted a banker, politician, financial advisor or estate agent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.