Decided to Return

Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

kerrylily is on a distinguished road
Default Decided to Return

After spending 2 weeks back in Scotland, I've decided I can't help but move back. Timing is great too since my husband and I are separating.

I'm aiming to move in June, or thereabouts, when the kids get out of school. I have loads of things to do (passports, etc.), but I'm hopeful I'm scared, excited, and all those other things when you're trying to tie up one world and open up another.

In the old days, we used to use travel agents (who?) to help get plane tickets, but since I'll be moving myself, 2 kids, and a dog, I'm wondering if there's a resource that can help with the planning of ticketing (specifically in regards to the dog) - suggestions?

I also emailed Education Scotland, but haven't heard back yet, has anyone had experience with homeschooling in the UK? We're discussing splitting time with our daughter 50/50 and homeschooling her in both locales.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decided to Return

Whereabouts are you now? You've not actually said in your post!

Good luck with the move.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I'm in Maryland US!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerrylily
After spending 2 weeks back in Scotland, I've decided I can't help but move back. Timing is great too since my husband and I are separating.

I'm aiming to move in June, or thereabouts, when the kids get out of school. I have loads of things to do (passports, etc.), but I'm hopeful I'm scared, excited, and all those other things when you're trying to tie up one world and open up another.

In the old days, we used to use travel agents (who?) to help get plane tickets, but since I'll be moving myself, 2 kids, and a dog, I'm wondering if there's a resource that can help with the planning of ticketing (specifically in regards to the dog) - suggestions?

I also emailed Education Scotland, but haven't heard back yet, has anyone had experience with homeschooling in the UK? We're discussing splitting time with our daughter 50/50 and homeschooling her in both locales.
You've not mentioned this, but have you looked into the legalities of moving your children to a different country from their father? If he is staying in Maryland, you'll need written confirmation that he gives permission to remove his children from the US (even if the UK is their/your home country)
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

dunroving: Absolutely! My almost 16 yr old's father is barely involved in his upbringing, but has signed/done paperwork for everything and will continue to do so.
My soon to be ex husband and I are both working to make sure that we do the best for our 9yr old. We're friendly and amicable, wanting to make sure that she gets the best of both worlds.
The corgi has no father
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

dunroving: Absolutely! My almost 16 yr old's father is barely involved in his upbringing, but has signed/done paperwork for everything and will continue to do so.
My soon to be ex husband and I are both working to make sure that we do the best for our 9yr old. We're friendly and amicable, wanting to make sure that she gets the best of both worlds.
The corgi has no father
It's good to hear that everyone is playing ball, but I encourage you to make sure you have written, legal confirmation from the 9-year-old's father before you leave the US. It sounds like he will be happy to provide this but from many previous posts on the topic, the written confirmation is essential to avoid any unanticipated problems when leaving the country and/or arriving in the UK. Similarly, when/if he leaves the UK with her, he would need written legal confirmation that you give permission for him to leave the UK with her.

It may sound excesssive, but I'm just repeating the same information that appears on here repeatedly when one parent talks about returning to the UK with kids when the other parent is staying behind. There are enough cases of kidnapping by one parent that lead to this concern.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

dunroving: I've been paying close attention to the horror stories people post. We've got a lot of paperwork to go through regarding our divorce and all obligations within that. Part of our settlement agreement/collection of paperwork has to include clear instructions regarding parental approval for any sort of movement (what if I plan a trip to France, for instance). I appreciate your concern on this; it's something I've been keeping an eye on for a while.
Truthfully, just because things are good now it doesn't mean they always will be, so it has to be hammered out.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving: I've been paying close attention to the horror stories people post. We've got a lot of paperwork to go through regarding our divorce and all obligations within that. Part of our settlement agreement/collection of paperwork has to include clear instructions regarding parental approval for any sort of movement (what if I plan a trip to France, for instance). I appreciate your concern on this; it's something I've been keeping an eye on for a while.
Truthfully, just because things are good now it doesn't mean they always will be, so it has to be hammered out.
That's great, glad you are on top of this aspect.

You'd be surprised how many people in similar threads fly off the handle and can't believe they have to provide legally documented permission - when all we are trying to do is help them!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

With two children with different fathers have to be managed, I appreciate all the help I can get. I was researching information on this well before even seriously considering moving.

Not that the move is going to be easy. Nor the divorce. Again, thankfully my husband and I are friendly (right now!). He doesn't want me to move (part of the issue of our separation), but he doesn't want us to be vengeful and mean. If only all things were this way!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And why homeschooling?
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Its easy to get the ticket for your dog you don't need an agency. The dog can go in the cargo hold on the same flight as you. Best to pick a direct route with no transfers. Call the airline and they will help you with all the info you need. The worst part is the DEFRA regulations and paperwork you need to do. Very specific timing etc on things. You can check their website for details. There are pet travel companies but they don't really do much for you and charge you a lot more than if you just book the dog into cargo on the same flight as you can the kids.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

This website has lots of information on homeschooling in the UK:

http://www.educationotherwise.net/
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hotscot
And why homeschooling?
Hotscot: looking at a way we can share time 50/50 with her!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petrichor
This website has lots of information on homeschooling in the UK:

http://www.educationotherwise.net/
Petrichor: thank you! Will review and share with husband.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Its easy to get the ticket for your dog you don't need an agency. The dog can go in the cargo hold on the same flight as you. Best to pick a direct route with no transfers. Call the airline and they will help you with all the info you need. The worst part is the DEFRA regulations and paperwork you need to do. Very specific timing etc on things. You can check their website for details. There are pet travel companies but they don't really do much for you and charge you a lot more than if you just book the dog into cargo on the same flight as you can the kids.
Lgabriel73: thank you. I'm just nervous about getting the right airline for Glasgow, etc. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.