Decided to Return

Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decided to Return

Originally Posted by kerrylily
Lgabriel73: thank you. I'm just nervous about getting the right airline for Glasgow, etc. .
There are very few direct flights to Glasgow, maybe even just one (United, I think, maybe from DC or NJ). It might be more straightforward and offer more options to look into flying to Manchester or Birmingham, stay overnight and then come up on the train. DEFRA has a list of approved routes.

Also, look for a thread by Windsong (I think that's who it was) from about 1-2 years ago. She was planning to bring her dog to Edinburgh so her thread has all the trials and tribulations, and a lot of lessons learned.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is a bit extreme to home school just so the parent in USA can have 50-50 access. It would make her very isolated in her new location - school is absolutely the best place to make friends quickly. http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/...tion/index.asp

Surely she could visit the other parent in her holidays which in Scotland are 2 weeks at the end of each of 4 terms except Summer when you get 6 weeks, plus occasional days. For exact holiday details look on website of Council where you intend to live.

https://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/parentzone/

Last edited by luvwelly; Feb 21st 2014 at 10:39 am.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

kerrylily is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dunroving
There are very few direct flights to Glasgow, maybe even just one (United, I think, maybe from DC or NJ). It might be more straightforward and offer more options to look into flying to Manchester or Birmingham, stay overnight and then come up on the train. DEFRA has a list of approved routes.

Also, look for a thread by Windsong (I think that's who it was) from about 1-2 years ago. She was planning to bring her dog to Edinburgh so her thread has all the trials and tribulations, and a lot of lessons learned.
dunroving: Thanks - I'll try to track this down!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I think it is a bit extreme to home school just so the parent in USA can have 50-50 access. It would make her very isolated in her new location - school is absolutely the best place to make friends quickly. http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/...tion/index.asp

Surely she could visit the other parent in her holidays which in Scotland are 2 weeks at the end of each of 4 terms except Summer when you get 6 weeks, plus occasional days. For exact holiday details look on website of Council where you intend to live.

https://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/parentzone/
luvwelly: She's done homeschooling like classes. She has friends here, and without a doubt, I am sure she will find friends in Scotland. It would be great if she could jump into the Scottish school system (I did well in it, if I do say so myself!), but her father does not believe the Scottish school system is better than the US one. He also does not want to see her for only a few short(ish) periods through the year, and neither do I!

Homeschooling may be the best option for her to see both of us equally and to be educated in a way that we both approve of.

This doesn't mean things won't change! He could come to the dark side (Scottish education is simply the better option), or he could realize that taking care of a little girl 50% of the time is a lot harder than he imagined. Also, we could finish off primary school in one fashion and work secondary a different way.

I'm trying to leave as many doors open with him as possible right now so that he can come to his own conclusions. One sometimes has to let the bull find its own way to the gate

Thank you for the links!

Last edited by kerrylily; Feb 21st 2014 at 2:14 pm. Reason: Thanks for links!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Again, thankfully my husband and I are friendly (right now!). He doesn't want me to move (part of the issue of our separation), but he doesn't want us to be vengeful and mean. If only all things were this way!
Having been through a very painful and costly divorce with someone who said many of the same things at the beginning... I would strongly recommend that you act quickly, sincerely, and get all the t's crossed and the i's dotted before he changes his mind. Especially if he doesn't want you to move. That could quickly become a bone of contention. Good luck to you, but please be careful and take care of yourself and your kids. All the best.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 3:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

dunroving: Thanks - I'll try to track this down!
I've managed to track a few threads Windsong started, that were about dogs. I have added links below. Some of them may not be relevant to what you need - I didn't open them to check.

Budgeting for Pets for Trip to UK

Budgeting for Pets for Trip to UK 2

Pet Fees Payable on Arrival in UK
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 10:43 am
Ping-ponger

I've managed to track a few threads Windsong started, that were about dogs. I have added links below. Some of them may not be relevant to what you need - I didn't open them to check.

Budgeting for Pets for Trip to UK

Budgeting for Pets for Trip to UK 2

Pet Fees Payable on Arrival in UK
I should have clarified - these threads were specifically about bring dogs to Scotland, which is why I thought they might be helpful.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

I should have clarified - these threads were specifically about bring dogs to Scotland, which is why I thought they might be helpful.
No, that's exactly what I'll be doing! Thanks dunroving!