Creepy Crawlies in the UK

Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creepy Crawlies in the UK

Originally Posted by aries
A big jumping one was one of the first big spiders I saw in South Australia. It was in my sister's lounge and I tried to catch it using a broom. However it jumped over the broom head and disappeared at speed.

My worst experience was when a big spider landed on my face at night when I lived alongside Adelaide's Anzac Highway. I had seen it on the high ceiling at the other end of the room and thought I would be safe. But apparently not, it focussed on my breath and dropped!!
How big do the jumping spiders get in Australia? They're small here, about the size of a 20p piece. Quite fun to watch though, as they are the only spiders that can crawl backwards.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:13 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
How big do the jumping spiders get in Australia? They're small here, about the size of a 20p piece. Quite fun to watch though, as they are the only spiders that can crawl backwards.
The biggest jumping spider is still very small, one as big as a 20p piece would be a big one.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The biggest jumping spider is still very small, one as big as a 20p piece would be a big one.
That seems to be about the standard size of the ones I see in and around our house.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one.

I wonder how many people would rather one of those were crawling in under their back door, or a tiny little false widow?
Spoiled for choice. A real dilemma

I recall seeing Huntsman on Kangaroo Island. The horror for me was that he was so large that I could see his eyes, and his act of eating the flies he had trapped. It made my skin crawl.

But he was a tinker in comparison to what I thought was a mouse in my letterbox in Murray Bridge. The body of the thing was dove grey and was the size of a mouse.
My neighbour was a burly fellow, but even he was unnerved moving this thing that gripped the stick he proffered.
As it scuttled up the stick he dropped the thing and ran!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:03 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Spoiled for choice. A real dilemma

I recall seeing Huntsman on Kangaroo Island. The horror for me was that he was so large that I could see his eyes, and his act of eating the flies he had trapped. It made my skin crawl.

But he was a tinker in comparison to what I thought was a mouse in my letterbox in Murray Bridge. The body of the thing was dove grey and was the size of a mouse.
My neighbour was a burly fellow, but even he was unnerved moving this thing that gripped the stick he proffered.
As it scuttled up the stick he dropped the thing and ran!
I take it you'd have the little one, then?

Did you ever find out the species of the big grey one? The biggest ones I see over here are the wolf spiders but they're only about 1/2" across and they don't tend to come indoors. Bigger spiders are found father south.

I do encourage a colony of cellar spiders in our basement though, for effective annoying flying insect control.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you'd have the little one, then?

Did you ever find out the species of the big grey one? The biggest ones I see over here are the wolf spiders but they're only about 1/2" across and they don't tend to come indoors. Bigger spiders are found father south.

I do encourage a colony of cellar spiders in our basement though, for effective annoying flying insect control.
I'd take neither!! My logic is to protect them in the garden, it's their domain. I had a redback on the back of my hand once, he/she had the span of a 10c piece. I brushed it off at warp speed and it didn't have time to bite. BUT:

In the hoose? All bets are off, that's my patch. No paper/glass jar method for me, just something to send them to God.
I spray around my bed legs to ensure I don't get the company I once had.

As for the big grey-I never found out. That bloke was walking compared the warp speed I was going at as I overtook him!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Not the one that jumped over the broom head, it was at least two and a half inches.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Not the one that jumped over the broom head, it was at least two and a half inches.
It wasnt a Jumping Spider then, it was a spider that jumped.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:42 pm
I have a comma problem

It wasnt a Jumping Spider then, it was a spider that jumped.
Evolution. They'll be talking next and stealing our teabags.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:44 pm
Banned

Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Creepy Crawlies in the UK

The news of the so-called deadly spiders made it over to Luxembourg and when I first heard of it, I thought they were reffering to the City Bankers
Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

The creepy crawlies are getting bigger...........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...n-Bristol.html