Creepy Crawlies in the UK

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:02 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Creepy Crawlies in the UK

I had to launch a hunt and destroy mission at 1 am for a MASSIVE huntsman near one of the kids rooms. (I know some people like them... I don't.)

I told myself this type of mission would not be a problem next year... then I googled to be sure - only to find out about huge biting house spiders in the UK!

Are these (or any other biting nasties) commonplace in the UK? Do you have to chase spiders around the house in the UK like you do with Aussie huntsmen? I don't remember anything much more fierce than an adder (and I think they're becoming extinct) or a daddy long legs.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creepy Crawlies in the UK

We very rarely see any spiders of any real size here, certainly nothing approaching a Huntsman. Not sure where you heard Adders are becoming extinct, they are still a common snake.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of spiders here, old stone house is the perfect habitat and they are very welcome and encouraged - though they have to dodge the dog, who wants to make them into snacks

Realistically, there's nothing in the UK that's going to do you any serious damage, the biggest nuisance is probably the wasps for a brief period in autumn, or midges in some areas.

Canada, on the other hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I had to launch a hunt and destroy mission at 1 am for a MASSIVE huntsman near one of the kids rooms. (I know some people like them... I don't.)

I told myself this type of mission would not be a problem next year... then I googled to be sure - only to find out about huge biting house spiders in the UK!

Are these (or any other biting nasties) commonplace in the UK? Do you have to chase spiders around the house in the UK like you do with Aussie huntsmen? I don't remember anything much more fierce than an adder (and I think they're becoming extinct) or a daddy long legs.
I often see large spiders rushing across the living room carpet, but they don't bother me. I seem to have more since the dog passed away so I think she must have been eating them while I was at work.

Have only seen one adder in 7 years of hiking since I came back.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:31 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We very rarely see any spiders of any real size here, certainly nothing approaching a Huntsman. Not sure where you heard Adders are becoming extinct, they are still a common snake.
However Adders are a shy species as far as man is concerned and will move away from you rather then attack, and in any case an adder bite is rarely fatal, only 14 deaths in the last 100 years, and the last was in 1975.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I often see large spiders rushing across the living room carpet, but they don't bother me. I seem to have more since the dog passed away so I think she must have been eating them while I was at work.

Have only seen one adder in 7 years of hiking since I came back.
Your dog passed away? Very sad to hear that DR...
I read about a woman in Hampshire who was bitten by a false widow spider and her leg became horribly infected. Apparently those types of spiders are being seen more often in the south for some reason. I'm going to the New Forest for Christmas and shall be carrying a rolled up newspaper with me everywhere!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:19 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I read about a woman in Hampshire who was bitten by a false widow spider and her leg became horribly infected. Apparently those types of spiders are being seen more often in the south for some reason. I'm going to the New Forest for Christmas and shall be carrying a rolled up newspaper with me everywhere!
I keep reading about these types of things. I'm sure this wasn't such a problem in the past. A spider bite in the UK used to be virtually unheard of. My niece has been bitten as well.

I take comfort in the hope that they're nothing like as prevalent as in Aust.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I keep reading about these types of things. I'm sure this wasn't such a problem in the past. A spider bite in the UK used to be virtually unheard of. My niece has been bitten as well.

I know, scary isn't it? Any creature can get here in a crate of bananas or produce. No different from the bubonic plague making its way into Southern England via ship all those years ago, although with not such dramatic consequence of course.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 3:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
However Adders are a shy species as far as man is concerned and will move away from you rather then attack, and in any case an adder bite is rarely fatal, only 14 deaths in the last 100 years, and the last was in 1975.
Absolutely, they are extremely shy and not at all aggressive. Quite common though.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 3:33 am
Banned

Spider bites are still incredibly rare over here, more likely to get stung by a wasp As you say though nowhere near as common as Australia.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 3:58 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a few spiders in my house. They are fairly small and don't bother me. Having said that, none of them have crawled over me yet and I imagine that will be a different kettle of fish. Speaking of creepy crawlies, does anyone one know what the wee bugs are that look like minute aramadillos? I have seen a few of them. I don't think they do any harm, I just don't like the look of them.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:30 am

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lf1
I have seen a few spiders in my house. They are fairly small and don't bother me. Having said that, none of them have crawled over me yet and I imagine that will be a different kettle of fish. Speaking of creepy crawlies, does anyone one know what the wee bugs are that look like minute aramadillos? I have seen a few of them. I don't think they do any harm, I just don't like the look of them.
Woodlice! They eat rubbish. We used to play with them as kids as they roll up into a little ball. They like damp areas best. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse

Last edited by Harvester523; Oct 3rd 2013 at 4:33 am. Reason: added a 'y' or two and wiki
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-8827447.html

Having spent the other Saturday night in the ER due to a spider bite, I'd still rather take my chances with Brit bugs.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Generally spiders are shy, beneficial, and only bite when threatened by being rolled on or similar.

If you need to get rid of one a good catch and release tool is a cardboard tube from a toilet roll, fold at one end, wrangle the spider into the other end and release outside.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-8827447.html

Having spent the other Saturday night in the ER due to a spider bite, I'd still rather take my chances with Brit bugs.
Both my daughter and a friend have had one of those in their homes - friend posted a pic on FB - quite large for UK but not that big really. Daughter was worried cos she has cats and toddler so squished it pretty quick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.