Countdown

Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:02 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countdown

Originally Posted by Editha
Our contract has small print saying we are responsible for getting the UK pet travel scheme paperwork right, not him, and the fact is that it was the vet's primary responsibility. The vet has owned that and said they will cover any additional expenses we incur.

Nevertheless, if the pet mover had gone through the paperwork three weeks earlier, it would have just been a bureaucratic hassle to sort out. Leaving it until the 20th day before we fly was what turned it into a crisis.

But, I'm still dependent on him to get the cats through Gatwick, so I'm not about to fall out with him by demanding a refund.
Right. I understand.

I wouldn't ask him either.

Yet.

(trying possibly poorly for a little levity. fingers crossed for you)!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Our contract has small print saying we are responsible for getting the UK pet travel scheme paperwork right, not him, and the fact is that it was the vet's primary responsibility. The vet has owned that and said they will cover any additional expenses we incur.

Nevertheless, if the pet mover had gone through the paperwork three weeks earlier, it would have just been a bureaucratic hassle to sort out. Leaving it until the 20th day before we fly was what turned it into a crisis.

But, I'm still dependent on him to get the cats through Gatwick, so I'm not about to fall out with him by demanding a refund.
I agree. At this stage, the most important thing is getting the cats into the UK, not the money.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:13 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've just paid Canada Post for mail forwarding for one year from Alberta to Devon. At $233 this was maybe a bit extravagant of me. We've had mail forwarding for the last year from our old house, but that was just within Edmonton. It's our financial post that I'm most concerned about, and it was receiving an unexpected credit card in the post recently that made up my mind to do it. I see it as a kind of insurance policy.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:35 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

How's the cat paperwork going? Sameish?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:02 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
How's the cat paperwork going? Sameish?
Two visits to the vet two days running and we may have cracked it! The vets have gone from sloppy to neurotically conscientious and re-done all the paperwork, even the bits we hadn't asked them to redo, noticing inconsistencies that even we had not picked up.

I scanned and sent the docs to Petsaway this afternoon and hopefully Dave will get back to me tomorrow to say it is OK. Because he had already submitted the docs with the wrong microchip number to Gatwick he has to make a case to them to accept the amended docs but he was confident that he could persuade them.

So we are not out of the woods yet, but there is light on the horizon. On the way back from the vets today, OH asked how much the vet was charging for the fit to fly examination next week. "You seriously expect me to pay them more money?" was my reply. We've used half a tank of petrol on the seven trips we've made to the vets in the last week.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:11 am
WhiteRabbit

Two visits to the vet two days running and we may have cracked it! The vets have gone from sloppy to neurotically conscientious and re-done all the paperwork, even the bits we hadn't asked them to redo, noticing inconsistencies that even we had not picked up.

I scanned and sent the docs to Petsaway this afternoon and hopefully Dave will get back to me tomorrow to say it is OK. Because he had already submitted the docs with the wrong microchip number to Gatwick he has to make a case to them to accept the amended docs but he was confident that he could persuade them.

So we are not out of the woods yet, but there is light on the horizon. On the way back from the vets today, OH asked how much the vet was charging for the fit to fly examination next week. "You seriously expect me to pay them more money?" was my reply. We've used half a tank of petrol on the seven trips we've made to the vets in the last week.
Kitty doesn't get car sick, does he?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Kitty doesn't get car sick, does he?
He only had to come with us twice, to check his microchip. The other occasions were just dropping off and picking up the paperwork. Just to recap:

Vet error no.1: Claimed to know what she had to do to export cats to the UK. Actually hadn't got a clue and didn't complete the EU form.

Vet error no.2: Asked to do a letter explaining she had checked the microchips and vaccinated the cats, she did it on blank, not headed, paper.

Vet error no.3: Completed 2 EU forms, one for each cat. It should be just one for the 2 of them. That was partly my mistake, but as a professional she should have relied on the advice on the CFIA site (which gives the form to download and full guidance on completion), not her client.

Vet error no.4: Having completed the form correctly, she dated it July, not June.

Vet error no.5: Throughout, she had used the wrong microchip number for one of the cats having misread it back in January, meaning all the documents for that cat had to be done again.

Surely she deserves some kind of prize?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:02 am
WhiteRabbit

He only had to come with us twice, to check his microchip. The other occasions were just dropping off and picking up the paperwork. Just to recap:

Vet error no.1: Claimed to know what she had to do to export cats to the UK. Actually hadn't got a clue and didn't complete the EU form.

Vet error no.2: Asked to do a letter explaining she had checked the microchips and vaccinated the cats, she did it on blank, not headed, paper.

Vet error no.3: Completed 2 EU forms, one for each cat. It should be just one for the 2 of them. That was partly my mistake, but as a professional she should have relied on the advice on the CFIA site (which gives the form to download and full guidance on completion), not her client.

Vet error no.4: Having completed the form correctly, she dated it July, not June.

Vet error no.5: Throughout, she had used the wrong microchip number for one of the cats having misread it back in January, meaning all the documents for that cat had to be done again.

A Darwin award?

I'm a bit concerned about this kind of scenario for us (whenever the time comes). We don't live in the most sophisticated part of the US. I doubt there are any vets in our town who have done this paperwork. If they have, it would have been a rarity. I feel like I'm going to have to learn every aspect of the process down to the smallest detail. As if it's not enough of a hassle dealing with visa paperwork. Gotta make sure the dogs have their 'visas' too. Sheesh.

Oh and - wait - pay a small fortune for it all too. Yeah - just like immigration for people.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

This is unbelievable!!! She clearly didn't have her mind on it - or just didn't care enough. There's no excuse for some of those mistakes.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 4:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Nope still wrong!

The letter she redid yesterday states, correctly, that she vaccinated the cat in September last year - 2013, and goes on to say that immunity is from September 2014 to September 2015.

So it has to be done again.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 4:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

A Darwin award?

I'm a bit concerned about this kind of scenario for us (whenever the time comes). We don't live in the most sophisticated part of the US. I doubt there are any vets in our town who have done this paperwork. If they have, it would have been a rarity. I feel like I'm going to have to learn every aspect of the process down to the smallest detail. As if it's not enough of a hassle dealing with visa paperwork. Gotta make sure the dogs have their 'visas' too. Sheesh.

Oh and - wait - pay a small fortune for it all too. Yeah - just like immigration for people.
Retrospectively, I think I relied too much on the expertise of vet and the pet movers, thinking I could concentrate on the other stuff.

I wish I had researched the subject more thoroughly. But in January I did ring the DEFRA helpline, who actually gave me the wrong advice, only telling me about the International Health Certificate, not the EU form.

I also wish I had hassled Petsaway more when they did not give me the advice I needed at the time I needed it. Having to deal with all this in the last few days before we travel, when I'm also having to deal with a seriously ill mother back in Britain, has ratcheted up the tension so much that it is making me ill.

As a result, I'm not capable of picking up the vet's mistakes myself. Yesterday, for example, I checked through the documents in the vet's office before we left, but did not notice the mistake on dates. Ironic since I have a side-line in editing and spent yesterday evening copy-editing an article on the origins of WW1!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Upakweship sent me their invoice today. I'm going to be paying by bank wire. The total, for a 20' container, Edmonton Alberta to Devon UK is USD $6,760.

We've decided on the cheapest insurance cover, which just gives us cover if the entire shipment is lost. I've calculated the value as USD $50,000 which means the insurance premium is USD $750.

This would give us compensation of under £30,000 if the container is lost, but most of the shipment is books, most of which are irreplaceable, and apart from that there are a few sticks of IKEA furniture. What good quality stuff we have is mostly kitchen equipment such as Le Creuset saucepans.

I've found the question of insurance valuation quite difficult. In the end I decided that it comes down to what is the maximum premium you are prepared to pay, and what is the minimum you'd need to replace the essential items in the load.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:27 pm
WhiteRabbit

Hang in there, Editha. Hopefully the vet will come through in the end and the books will all arrive safely.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Editha, just to say I am catching up late on these posts but my heat goes out to you, especially with the vet business. When we took our cat to France three years ago it was the same sort of palaver--it was my husband dealing with it and letters had to go back and forth to Harrisburg and the papers only arrived in time by a whisker (!!)....major anxiety for him...

but it all worked out in the end (and French officials didn't even look at the papers!!!). And I trust it will for you.

A big shipment of irreplaceable books....a side-line as an editor...you're my kind of person!!

Good luck and keep calm....
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:28 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Thanks for your good wishes (and Windsong's and Rebeccajo's).

Vet's paperwork now seems to be OK. Pet mover has emailed me copies of his, and I see he has spelt my name wrong.

Today's To Do List includes cancelling my gym membership. There is something very satisfying about quitting a gym contract; one gets to do it so infrequently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.