Countdown

Old May 17th 2014, 11:07 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countdown

Originally Posted by feelbritish
On the subject of our "house tour" the realtors were positive especially about location and grounds BUT there are 8 houses in our price and absolutely no movement in the market for the last 6 weeks. Looks like we may be here for another year or two!
Why not make yours cheaper than the other seven? Sounds like the only way to get a sale.
Old May 18th 2014, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Why not make yours cheaper than the other seven? Sounds like the only way to get a sale.
I agree. I always astonish people withe the way I get things sold - whether it be stuff on amazon, ebay, or at a yard sale. It's no secret - you must be willing to drop the price to below what others are offering
Old May 18th 2014, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that houses either sell very quickly or hang around for years. If it hasn't gone in the initial listing period, you have to do something drastic to make it fresh to the market again.
Old May 18th 2014, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Only just dropped it $25 000 to be in line with them. An oceanfront house across the road from us has sold this last weekend for $360 000 more than ours and although ocean view (huge sea wall and boulders to prevent flooding) they cannot access the beach quicker than we can! We need as much money as we can as this is what we are going to retire with. We will stick it out for the summer, after all we live 60 seconds walk from a beach, I still have the business to run and OH is working. Perhaps in the fall with do just that! We will just have to watch the market!

If we are seen to be dropping it every month, it may mean we are desperate which we are not! I guess that when you make your mind up to do something you want action lol
Old May 19th 2014, 3:49 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Six weeks to go, and we are up to box 237. We are ahead of schedule on the packing, but I'd rather spend our last couple of weeks surrounded by cardboard boxes than have a panicky last few days.

On Saturday my 88 year old mum had a fall and broke her arm badly. My brother is with her at the moment, getting a care assessment from social services and making sure she is going to be OK. This was the kind of event that I was hoping wouldn't occur while I'm still out of the country, and if I didn't have so much to do here, I'd be on a plane home right now.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:24 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Editha
Six weeks to go, and we are up to box 237. We are ahead of schedule on the packing, but I'd rather spend our last couple of weeks surrounded by cardboard boxes than have a panicky last few days.

On Saturday my 88 year old mum had a fall and broke her arm badly. My brother is with her at the moment, getting a care assessment from social services and making sure she is going to be OK. This was the kind of event that I was hoping wouldn't occur while I'm still out of the country, and if I didn't have so much to do here, I'd be on a plane home right now.
Sorry to hear about your mum Editha-hope she heals quickly. Wow, 237 boxes, like me you have a lot of stuff. I had my third tag sale yesterday and the house is emptying slowly but surely. Like you even though I have 11 weeks to go I'd rather not be running around like a chicken with my head cut off the last few weeks. :-)
Old May 19th 2014, 9:01 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r0briley
Sorry to hear about your mum Editha-hope she heals quickly. Wow, 237 boxes, like me you have a lot of stuff. I had my third tag sale yesterday and the house is emptying slowly but surely. Like you even though I have 11 weeks to go I'd rather not be running around like a chicken with my head cut off the last few weeks. :-)
More than half the items are books and papers which have to go in small boxes, so that adds to the number. It should all fit into a 20' container.
Old May 24th 2014, 1:14 am
Was in Canada, now home.

I am seriously worried about my mum. I've been told that she is OK and will make a good recovery, but at the same time she seems to be developing multiple problems and symptoms in addition to her injured arm.

This is giving me a strong sense of déjà vu, because that was precisely what happened with my dad. Eventually, I realised that something was up, but he died before I got there.

The difference this time is that mum is not in hospital, and she is receiving much better care than my dad did (these two facts are not unconnected). But even so this is the situation I've been dreading during the 8 years I've been in Canada -- that is not knowing whether I should get on a plane or not and it is ironic that it should happen in the last few weeks when it is particularly difficult for me to get away.

I've more or less finished the packing, and OH could manage without me, but if I go I'll miss all the goodbyes with my friends here. And also, OH will be mega-pissed off. Plus, there's the expense. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Old May 24th 2014, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I am seriously worried about my mum. I've been told that she is OK and will make a good recovery, but at the same time she seems to be developing multiple problems and symptoms in addition to her injured arm.

This is giving me a strong sense of déjà vu, because that was precisely what happened with my dad. Eventually, I realised that something was up, but he died before I got there.

The difference this time is that mum is not in hospital, and she is receiving much better care than my dad did (these two facts are not unconnected). But even so this is the situation I've been dreading during the 8 years I've been in Canada -- that is not knowing whether I should get on a plane or not and it is ironic that it should happen in the last few weeks when it is particularly difficult for me to get away.

I've more or less finished the packing, and OH could manage without me, but if I go I'll miss all the goodbyes with my friends here. And also, OH will be mega-pissed off. Plus, there's the expense. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Editha, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum's mishap. Have you talked openly to your OH about your fears and concerns? I hope you don't mind my saying this - I lost my Mum very unexpectedly several years ago and I am forever thankful I was able to spend her last four years with her after living away from her for many years. None of us knows what is around the corner and this time could turn out to be precious for you. Last minute moving hiccups can be sorted out but in the end, you only have one Mother. I wish you all the very best.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your Mum, Editha. For what it's worth, a pissed off husband will eventually settle down (unless that's a normal condition for him ) - so at the risk of sounding uncaring, I don't think this should play too big a part in your decision. Missing saying goodbye to your friends would hurt, and extra expense at this time is a bummer.

It's a bloody tough one for you. All you can do is go with what you feel is the best thing to do - both going and staying have some negatives, maybe have a think about which negatives you could live with, and those you couldn't.

Let us know how you get on and I so hope that your Mum's health improves. Take care x
Old May 24th 2014, 5:27 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

So sorry to hear this Editha-My dad passed away while I was here in the US. We had been told by the doctors when he was diagnosed with cancer in October that he would not make it to Christmas. I didn't want to believe it and although my brothers and sisters were urging me to come home if I wanted to see him one last time I was in denial. I did make the decision to go and am so glad I did as he passed away a few weeks later. I know your mum's not in the same situation but it sounds like you feel uneasy not being there right now-Go with your gut. I hate to ask this question and please don't think I'm being pushy but I think you have to ask yourself how it would affect you if you didn't go and something happened? I'm sure it's on your mind constantly and you will make the right decision for you.
Old May 25th 2014, 5:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Thank you all for your support.

Yesterday I was checking out fares to the UK, but today, when I rang mum, she sounded much much brighter. Some antibiotics she was prescribed have kicked in and she seems to be on the mend. So, I've decided to wait. There is no doubt that she is getting good care.
Old May 26th 2014, 4:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I was checking out fares to the UK, but today, when I rang mum, she sounded much much brighter. Some antibiotics she was prescribed have kicked in and she seems to be on the mend. So, I've decided to wait. There is no doubt that she is getting good care.
Such good news about your Mum! With your mind at ease on that, now 'all' you have to do is finish the packing and the myriad other details that go with such a big move I enjoy reading your countdown - your organized approach is something I'm going to try to emulate. Emphasis on the 'try'!
Old May 26th 2014, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Good news about your Mum! Not long now till you will be there
Old May 26th 2014, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

What a relief for you!! Now you can concentrate more on your original plans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.