Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Changes to State pension age for women

Changes to State pension age for women

Old Nov 11th 2015, 6:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to State pension age for women

Originally Posted by Editha
I know somebody who has deferred for ten years and more than doubled her pension.
She's go to have to live well into her 80's just to recoup what she has deferred. IMO deferring more than five years is a risky gamble that you will live long enough to recoup what you deferred.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 9:03 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She's go to have to live well into her 80's just to recoup what she has deferred. IMO deferring more than five years is a risky gamble that you will live long enough to recoup what you deferred.
I agree, although since she reached pension age at 60, her ten years is the equivalent of a man's five, if you see what I mean.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 9:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel it's not a gamble, actually a prudent, conservative choice.

Obviously, if you need the income, you won't defer, you'll take the income as soon as you're eligible. But if you can afford to defer, then if you lose the gamble and die relatively young, then big deal. If you die, you no longer need income. BUT if you live to extreme old age (95? 110?) then it could be that the extra income every year for life is very useful.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

People should pay more attention to these matters.That is the end of my rant.

Last edited by scot47; Nov 11th 2015 at 9:40 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
People should pay more attention to these matters.That is the end of my rant.
You call that a rant??

You short changed us
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I feel it's not a gamble, actually a prudent, conservative choice.

Obviously, if you need the income, you won't defer, you'll take the income as soon as you're eligible. But if you can afford to defer, then if you lose the gamble and die relatively young, then big deal. If you die, you no longer need income. BUT if you live to extreme old age (95? 110?) then it could be that the extra income every year for life is very useful.
There is a third option, which my father took, perhaps with uncanny prescience, to draw your pension and save it. My father didn't need his pension, but use the (state) pension to fund additional tax-advantaged pension savings, ...... but died before the break-even point had he just deferred his state pension for the five years until he actually retired.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:13 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

For me the issue isn't notification, but removing the ability to get a pension using a spouse's NIC record. People that didn't work and were relying on a spouse's pension in retirement can't now go back and get their own NICs. These people need to be given pension benefits under the new scheme similar to those under the old scheme.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 7:07 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
For me the issue isn't notification, but removing the ability to get a pension using a spouse's NIC record. People that didn't work and were relying on a spouse's pension in retirement can't now go back and get their own NICs. These people need to be given pension benefits under the new scheme similar to those under the old scheme.
There are transitional provisions for women in this category.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

People often seem to not think about retirement income until they are only a few years, or sometimes only months, away from retirement.
I submit that those are the same poor wretches who are living hand to mouth. Or paycheck to paycheck as they would say stateside.
When you have no money at all, none, long range planning becomes quite short. Which is why people find the prospect of total collapse of the present world financial system so scary.

I was curious as to why retirement age was ever different for men and women. Others may be interested to know also. Various theories were advanced to me, none were entirely convincing. A historian friend looked it up and explained to me - It was 1942, during the war, when pensions were changed. The reason the retirement ages were set to 65 and 60 were to avoid a situation in which a man, sole breadwinner in a marriage, and married to a wife of 60, retired at age 65 and received only the single person's OAP (old-age pension). In that situation he would receive the married couple OAP and not have to wait until he reached 70 (wife reached 65).
It was the norm in those days that married women didn't work a paid job and most women were (or had been) married to a man less than five years older.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 4:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Be fair: most people find the prospect of the total collapse of the present world financial system scary, also atomic war, anti-biotic resistant bubonic plague, and the impact of a giant asteroid (that's just my personal list).

But I agree that if you are on a low income it is difficult to make long term provision, but even so there are usually some things you can do to anticipate future needs.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 10:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948

I was curious as to why retirement age was ever different for men and women. Others may be interested to know also. Various theories were advanced to me, none were entirely convincing. A historian friend looked it up and explained to me - It was 1942, during the war, when pensions were changed.
The very first retirement pensions were established in Prussia by Otto von Bismarck in 1889. They were funded 50/50 by workers and employers and kicked in at the ripe old age of 70.

The average life expectancy for workers in Prussia at the time was 58.

Because it was 1889.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 7:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The very first retirement pensions were established in Prussia by Otto von Bismarck in 1889. They were funded 50/50 by workers and employers and kicked in at the ripe old age of 70.

The average life expectancy for workers in Prussia at the time was 58.

Because it was 1889.
I'm probably being pedantic, but I think you mean state retirement pensions. Occupational pensions and war-service pensions both pre-date national insurance.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 8:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm probably bing pedantic, but I think you mean state retirement pensions. Occupational pensions and war-service pensions both pre-date national insurance.
Yes, you're being pedantic, but it would be a travesty if I complained.

I love pedantry.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, you're being pedantic, but it would be a travesty if I complained.

I love pedantry.
In which case I feel compelled to ask what the life expectancy figure means, because to say "life expectancy was 58" was only true for people of a given age, and which you did not give. At birth life expectancy might have been 58, but if you survived all the childhood illnesses then at age 16 your life expectancy might be a whole lot longer, and people who had already reached age 58 still had a finite life expectancy.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:48 am
Born again atheist

In which case I feel compelled to ask what the life expectancy figure means, because to say "life expectancy was 58" was only true for people of a given age, and which you did not give. At birth life expectancy might have been 58, but if you survived all the childhood illnesses then at age 16 your life expectancy might be a whole lot longer, and people who had already reached age 58 still had a finite life expectancy.
Now this is a step too far even for a pedantry fan. I said average life expectancy in 1889. Which is perfectly self explanatory.

Implied, of course, is that the figure applied to Prussia not for example Iceland or Swaziland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.