Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Changes to State pension age for women

Changes to State pension age for women

Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to State pension age for women

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know. It shows in a fair few tables I have seen. The thing is that at a 'certain' age it may not be realistically possible to make up the 5 extra years through work. That probably means one has to pay for those five years. Whereas those before were fine with their 30 , and those coming after have time to plan for the 35.
I don't follow this argument. Given that you are sure of getting at least what you would under the old system with 30 years of contributions, you really can't claim a need to have to "make up" 5 extra years as though they are now needed to get the same pension. They aren't. You can choose to pay for those five years (either through work contributions or by paying separately), and you get more pension than you would have got in return. Why is that unfair? Also remember that when you started working 45 years of contributions were required for a full pension.

Also note that "those coming after" will see their pension age increase to 67 in 2026, with more increases tied to life expectancy likely after that.

I think I've calculated that I will not reach UK pension age until 65 and 9 months.

A pal of mine just 10 months older than me seem to have her pension date at 64 and 8 months. So, I must wait one more year than her.

Another pal is some 22 months younger than me and so receives her pension date on her 66th birthday. Just 12 months after me.
66 will be the pension age for those who reach it between 2020 and 2026, so obviously there will be a point where a later birth date makes no difference. Additionally, the women's pension age will equalize with men's by the end of 2018, fully 23 years after the equalisation was announced.

The reality is that the government had to find a way of increasing women's pension age from 60 to 65 (now 66). I guess it could have started the process sooner after 1995 and spread the age increases over a longer period of time, but I bet there would have been even more squealing had they done that.

The OP MO does seem to state there is no opposition to equalisation. It is the way & speed it has been implemented.
Speed? As mentioned above, it will be 23 years between announcement and full implementation of equalisation.

It seems the UK government did recognise there was some issue.

Article

and so

It had been expected that the women's state pension age would rise to 65 by 2020.

This provoked anger among around 500,000 women in their fifties who would have had to work up to two years longer.

The worst-hit 33,000 would have to wait two years. Some were in line to lose up to £15,000.

But the Government has offered them a reprieve. It said the maximum wait would be eighteen months rather than two years. It will achieve this by moving back the date at which the pension age hits 66 from April to October 2020.

Then between April 2016 and December 2018 it will rise to 65 for women.
And out of the aforementioned eighteen months, twelve are attributable to the increase in retirement age from 65 to 66, which applies to both men and women. So, as I said in my first post in this thread, a small age cohort of women will see their pension age increased by up to six months due to the government completing equalisation (in addition to the increase in the pension age to 66) by September 2020.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 10th 2015 at 1:37 am.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm not having an argument nor stating that anything is fair/unfair Giantaxe. Not at all.

I'm just at the beginning of trying to get to grips with this as per my own thread .HERE

This though

small age cohort of women will see their pension age increased by up to six months
I realise I'm not up to speed but I did think my pension age would be 65 . It is now 65 and 9 months.

Neither am I claiming a 'need', as you put it, over the 5 year thing. It does seem though that if one wishes to ensure some sort of full UK pension as one thought one would receive, rather than some pro-rata amount, one might need to fork out a goodly sum of pound notes as one might not have time years wise to make that up via work.

Geez. Not sure why you feel so grumpy. I'm simply trying to ensure I understand the ins and the outs of this if we should make a UK return. I always thought I'd done enough for a full state pension and that is still all I want to ensure. Nothing wrong with that is there?

At least what I do now know is that my pension age kicks in 9 months later than I thought it did . Not 65. Not 65 and up to 6 months. 65 and 9 months.

edit note:-
Giantaxe has altered their post subsequent to my own reply.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 10th 2015 at 1:53 am.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:50 am
`

Originally Posted by patty53
Thanks Bevs for putting another slant on things and it to perspective. I cut my hours down to look after my mother, who eventually died of Alzheimers. No brothers or sisters to help, though I could have put her into a home immediately and that would mean I wouldn't have a shortfall. Sometimes others just do not think and that there is not always the perfect solution. Yes I agree that we should all be equal, men and women but this latest moving the goalposts etc. helps no one.
What is puzzling me a bit over this UK state pension thing is what will be paid to those that did or had to take breaks during the 30 or 35 year NIC period.

I do mean the disabled. Those bringing up a family and so perhaps not working for a fair few years.

If these people will get a lesser amount because NIC contributions are not considered enough as such, what happens if they are in hardship? Not enough pension to pay the basic bills and the like?

Here in New Zealand it is simple. Reach age 65 , you gain your state pension.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

This though

I realise I'm not up to speed but I did think my pension age would be 65 . It is now 65 and 9 months.
I was separating out the increase attributable to equalisation being completed by the end of 2018 from the increase attributable to the pension age increasing from 65 to 66 by September 2020. In your case, I wonder whether any of the increase from 65 is due to the former?

Neither am I claiming a 'need', as you put it, over the 5 year thing. It does seem though that if one wishes to ensure some sort of full UK pension as one thought one would receive, rather than some pro-rata amount, one might need to fork out a goodly sum of pound notes as one might not have time years wise to make that up via work.
But the "full" amount is not static and your "pro rata" amount is at least what you would have got under the old system. Again, how is this unfair?

Geez. Not sure why you feel so grumpy.
I'm merely trying to introduce some rational arguments into the discussion...

I'm simply trying to ensure I understand the ins and the outs of this if we should make a UK return. I always thought I'd done enough for a full state pension and that is still all I want to ensure. Nothing wrong with that is there?
What if the definition of "full" has increased? Do you expect that amount without contributing more to the system in return?

At least what I do now know is that my pension age kicks in 9 months later than I thought it did . Not 65. Not 65 and up to 6 months. 65 and 9 months.
And I know my pension age is 66. Not 65. And I think that's good public policy given increased life expectancy.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 10th 2015 at 1:57 am.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What is puzzling me a bit over this UK state pension thing is what will be paid to those that did or had to take breaks during the 30 or 35 year NIC period.

I do mean the disabled. Those bringing up a family and so perhaps not working for a fair few years.

If these people will get a lesser amount because NIC contributions are not considered enough as such, what happens if they are in hardship? Not enough pension to pay the basic bills and the like?
Here's a list of situations you get credited with NICs in. It includes being in receipt of child benefit for a child under 12, being disabled, and getting carer's allowance:

https://www.gov.uk/national-insuranc...ts/eligibility

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 10th 2015 at 2:00 am.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:07 am
`

I'm leaving you to it mate.

Not once have I claimed 'unfair' nor that I want something for nothing , yet you seem determined to paint my posts in this way.

I'm back off to trying to ensure I understand my own pension affairs with a little help from others.

I bid you good day Mr Giantaxe.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

edit note:-
Giantaxe has altered their post subsequent to my own reply.
Subsequent to you writing your reply maybe, but my last edit is timestamped one minute before your post.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:28 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs you don't need to guess your state pension age. There are a number of calculators on the web, such as this one:https://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matte...ll-you-retire/
Old Nov 11th 2015, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Sorry you are disheartened, but the fact is that the equalisation of men's and women's pension ages was first announced in 1995 -- twenty years ago. It isn't correct that there has been no warning. In 2010, the Coalition government brought forward the completion of equalisation by just two years from 2020 to 2018, but it made no difference to women like myself reaching retirement within five years.

Frankly, I think it is fair, and we have been given enough warning. My husband and I both have 30 years contributions, but I'm still entitled to mine two and a half years earlier than him. By deferring my pension until I'm 65, I can turn that two and a half year advantage into a 26% higher pension. That's a little more than £30 a week. So, over twenty years retirement, I'll receive £31,200 more than he does, just for being female. What kind of idiot would I have to be to claim that I was being treated unfairly?
Editha, do you know how long beyond 65 you can defer taking the pension? In the USA you can defer until aged 70. I have tried finding the answer on the pension's website, but all it tells you is that you can defer, and how much extra you would get per year - but not maximum number of years.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 6:56 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Editha, do you know how long beyond 65 you can defer taking the pension? In the USA you can defer until aged 70. I have tried finding the answer on the pension's website, but all it tells you is that you can defer, and how much extra you would get per year - but not maximum number of years.
There is no limit. You can defer for as long as you like.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

There is no limit. You can defer for as long as you like.
Interesting. Thanks!
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:49 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Interesting. Thanks!
I know somebody who has deferred for ten years and more than doubled her pension.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know somebody who has deferred for ten years and more than doubled her pension.
I am assuming this person had the 30 years already acquired? I will not have the (now) 35 years, and have paid the 6 years top-up. With that I only have 15 years total right now. If I keep working until retirement age (66 for me - another 9 years) I will only have 24 years. Can I keep working and defer indefinitely also, regardless of how many (or few) years I have accumulated at retirement age?
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

You can keep working and defer indefinitely. But, remember that you are losing pension every year you defer. You have got to be confident that you will live long enough to get back the money you have lost!

Unfortunately, the deferment rate goes down for people in your age group who reach retirement age after 6th April 2016. It will only be 5.8% p.a. rather than 10.4%. This considerably reduces the advantages of deferring.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am assuming this person had the 30 years already acquired?
The percentage increase from deferring the pension due at pension age would be unaffected by the number of years of contributions.

I will not have the (now) 35 years, and have paid the 6 years top-up. With that I only have 15 years total right now. If I keep working until retirement age (66 for me - another 9 years) I will only have 24 years. Can I keep working and defer indefinitely also, regardless of how many (or few) years I have accumulated at retirement age?
You can keep working, but iirc you cannot add to your NI record past your pension age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.