Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

"The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

"The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Can someone call me a cab? Feeling a bit tidily, g'night all!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
and can you throw a pickled egg in that bag of crisps .... ta
Squelch!

That reminds me, years ago a bloke used to come round the pubs selling cockles and whelks, IIRC, in little pots with a cocktail stick. Revolting but weirdly good at the same time. I wonder if that still happens anywhere.....
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Can someone call me a cab? Feeling a bit tidily, g'night all!
All together now......

YOU'RE A CAB!!!!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Can I have another snowball and does anyone want to play a game of dominoes or darts. Oh look who's walked in Albert Tatlock. I think I'll have a Ploughmans Lunch years since I've had one of those. Howabout a bitter lemon or a Babycham. I once made myself really sick mixing Cherry B with Cider. It was the drink of the night. I drank two and was really sick, never had another one. Pims no1 how high did they go was it to 6. I really like perno but could only drink one. Dandelion and Burdock I drank that when I was expecting my second child. The doctor came to see me after he was born and asked me what I had drunk when I was pregnant I was really indignant. I told him only D & B he said thats what did it. My son suffered with acidosis. Had to be on a drip to clear his tummy out.....

There is nothing like an English Pub they try to copy them here in the US but it just doesnt work. In Hoole we had 3 Pubs all on one Street what a choice. Apparently they now have a fairly good chippy. The fire needs another log on it......
Bitter lemon Babycham not so sure about Cherry B and cider, though i do remember drunken nights on cider and blackcurrant!!
Originally Posted by happyglow
Squelch!

That reminds me, years ago a bloke used to come round the pubs selling cockles and whelks, IIRC, in little pots with a cocktail stick. Revolting but weirdly good at the same time. I wonder if that still happens anywhere.....
Oookh I remember that, used to have a guy selling them in my local in Brighton. When he stopped, the bar staff used tobuy them in from Sainsburys across the road and sell them
I eat loads when I go home, rarely see Cockles in brisbane
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
Squelch!

........ and every pub the seller visited some drunken wag would call out, " Any crabs on 'ya cock?"

There was one seller who used to ask for the plastic tubs back. Said he was using them to grow seeds. Found out he was taking a couple of whelks/prawns/winkles out of each tub to make up another pot which he would then sell and keep all the cash.

Anyone remember the Saturday evening football paper that was brought round the pubs. In Manchester it was the 'Football Pink' if I remember correctly.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:05 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't decide between a G&T or a white wine spritzer. What time does the pub quiz start? Last night we won our third game in a row, so I am feeling lucky, even although I don't contribute much to the team.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Heck this pub is so busy, I asked the bartender for a double scotch straight up 15 minutes ago and still waiting, maybe he didn't like the American twang and so thinks Im a yank
Anyway Ill just help myself to the freebies on the bar, Hmmmm some nice peanuts ----- Hmmmm now thats made me thirsty so when he comes over Ill ask him for a nice pint of ale with my scotch
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Pint of Old Peculiar and a sausage and mash please, but they've just got to be genuine Lincolnshire sausages, non of the other tat, well maybe a nice Cumberland sausage will do at a pinch.. and a half of falling down juice cider for the lady, only a half mind because it's 12% alcohol..
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:11 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I've been craving a good ol' steak and kidney but I am honestly a bit afraid of what I eat because of this horsemeat scandal. I know it pertained to the UK but I don't trust what we eat in the USA now Quite frankly, I don't think horsemeat should be eaten by humans anywhere in the world. Poor horses.
Why poor horses. I don't think the horses were treated any differently to most of the other meat we regularly eat. If one has an issue with the way our food is killed, don't eat it. No-one makes you wear make-up that's tested on animals these days either.

I don't find the idea of eating horsemeat any different to eating rabbit, beef, lamb, mutton, pork or anything else. As long as it's proven to be fit for human consumption and labelled as horsemeat, I'd have no problems trying it at least once.

I know horses are beautiful animals, but I'm not sentimental about my food.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Boy it is sooooo bitter cold outside today, and the wind just drives straight through you, how nice it is to be sitting in front of this big crackling fire, it feels so lovely & toasty, and just in time too, the bloke just came in shouting cockles & mussels, Ill have a portion of each please, it will go down lovely with my second pint of ale
And who's that woman at the bar screaming at the poor bartender saying what you mean you dont av bottles of pony any more oh alright give me a babycham then ---- but dont think your getting a tip
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What time is it? I must have fallen asleep...why didn't someone wake me up? Hang on...whose are those legs sticking out from under the table?

Methinks one or two of us had a little too much drink last night. My head is spinning. Is anyone serving breakfast around here?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:18 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Morning all...it's only 10.30 here but heck I've been awake since 4.30 so I'll start the day with a nice glass of white, please

How's everyone doing? by the looks of it most of you have been here all night!

Yes, a big English fry-up would go down well too. Is the chef alive...?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
No, I haven't seen that film. I ought to see if I can find it, though. I do eat ground beef because I make spaghetti (quick and easy when I am working) but I am going to eat less of it in future. I also like to make chili in the winter, too. I just don't trust what is on the counters these days. I always buy meat fresh, though. I try to buy it from a butcher if I am close to one but, if not, it's from a supermarket. I NEVER eat frozen meats of any kind - no TV dinners, no frozen burgers, no processed meats and no smoked meats.

I do eat chicken but only from the butcher and if it is from the supermarket, only Amish chicken that has no chemicals, solutions, preservatives in it.

One thing I do miss from the UK even from 30 years ago is all the fresh fish we ate

I am even dubious about pet foods. I never ever buy pet food from the supermarket. That's where all the dangerous ingredients from "foreign lands" is to be found. I also never buy my pets low grade food from the pet store. The wet food they eat is $2.60 a can but it is human grade food. But what does "human grade" mean these days when our own human food is littered with horsemeat The horsemeat thing is just disgraceful!

First of all, we had to accept food pumped with hormones - and now horsemeat!

I need to get hold of my "Moosewood Restaurant" cookbooks again - delicious vegetarian dishes!!!!
Don't know how much better it is for you but I use Boca Crumbles (soy meat) in pastas and chilils. Haven't had beef in decades, and now no chicken. Just fish occasionally.

I can also recommend Wellness Simple for dog food. Few (and recognizable) ingredients and made in the USA. A quick google search for reviews show most are 5/5, esp for dogs with allergies.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't drink for health reasons (hang on - don't most people drink FOR health reasons? ) But I would love a Ploughman's. Haven't had decent cheddar for 25 years. Mmmm and pickled onions (is there a slobbering icon?)

Can we get an Irish session going? Hubby's here with his concertina (Rodney - you still here?). Oh, and he'll have a Guinness.

Last edited by Perth; Feb 21st 2013 at 1:40 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes - a great british pub. Been for a long walk this morning - but that wind has gone straight through me so I'll have a plate of sausage and mash with peas, carrots and onion gravy and a half of dry cider to wash it down with - yum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.