Been back 18mths after 21yrs away

Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been back 18mths after 21yrs away

Wow really surprised to see this thread!!

But and all that, we understand.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Well unfortunately I think we are just about done in the UK Mrs TB' s study was/is going well, my job was/is the same and in general very much enjoying life, or was. A couple of weeks ago we left for 4 nights in Florence and Venice. I had a bit more back pain than normal when we left but I've been campaigning hard on the TT and crit circuit lately ( those are types of cycle races).

On morning in Florence my back pain turned into agonising sciatica in my right leg and I collapsed in the hotel room. When I came to I didn't know what to do but had my laptop and mailed a triathlete/physio friend in Oz who gave me exercises to get me mobile. Long story short it got quite a bit better quite quickly, hobbled around the rest of the holiday and flew home.

Saw physio, she took one look and said 'MRI', which happened the same evening, next morning a surgeon rang me and said ' go to hospital tomorrow, your disc has collapsed and has compressed your nerve to point of being close to severed and you need emergency spinal surgery' eek

went hospital the next day (Nuffield Private in Surrey) and had most of the disc removed. Was released on Sunday, physio is happy with progress, nurses couldn't believe how low my pulse rate was (guess they don't see many athletes). In a world of pain now as the nerves are still damaged and will hopefully repair slowly, toes have been num for two weeks.

I'm off work for quite a few weeks obviously but it's given us lots of time to talk and whilst generally we could look for a different job/area/situation here, I've known for a long time that Mrs TB wants to go to Sydney. All my tri friends in Sydney have been uber supportive and worried.

I think the time has come to draw the line in the sand and say 'that was great but ultimately we know we shouldn't be here, too many things have happened'.

Not sure if I can run again, ever, need a follow up with the consultant, praying I'll be able to ride again but it's really just underlined what I've known in the back of my mind for a longtime.

For me, England beats Oz in every measurable way, but there's more than me in this marriage and Mrs TB has been through enough with my big accident a couple of years ago, her health here and now this, to make any of that worth arguing over or even giving a second thought towards.

Recon we'll be back in Nov sometime. excuse typing, laptop on my chest.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Sep 30th 2011 at 3:11 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with the back - I had Disc / laminectomy several years ago which put paid to my bike racing days. Soon as you can do as much core work as you can stand it really does help.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Triboy, you REALLY are an outstanding and understanding husband.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

yes also from me good luck triboy with health and move back to Oz..
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Good luck Tr1boy, reading your earlier posts I thought that it looked as though you would be heading back to Oz. It looks very much like we will be a month or so behind you. I really hope that Mr T feels settled back in Sydney, I would miss it as well - a beautiful city. Hope the moves goes to plan and you are soon recovered.

Kathryn
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move Mr and Mrs Tr1Boy
That you both settle quickly.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You poor chap. Ah well, you are right in one way, people trump country every time and one of you has to be the sacrificial lamb - not an easy position to find yourself in but one that you are manifestly able to cope with from all appearances.

Hope your health gets back to perfect before too long and that you arent out of your sport for too long and that you can settle back without too much hassle.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, quick update. We have decided to stay until at least mid Jan as the job market in Syd is so dead over Xmas/Jan anyway. Also there is an external event going that is out of our hands which may mean we stay in the UK a bit longer than that anyway, not sure yet.

Mrs TB has another professional exam on Oct 27th so a bit more clarity will ensue after that. Plus I'm in no shape to travel/pack anyway.

My surgeon explained in more detail what happened with my back, and apparently my disc 'exploded' under pressure and I have bits of discy shrapnel in my back now, he got most of it but I still have some bits causing pain. No work until end of Oct.

Surgeon said said it was very rare and 'most unusual', Trust me eh?

Bit frustrating as I have all this down time and can't play guitar, can't train, can't go fishing. The HDD recorder is getting a workout!

Last edited by Tr1boy; Oct 4th 2011 at 4:35 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Thanks all, quick update. We have decided to stay until at least mid Jan as the job market in Syd is so dead over Xmas/Jan anyway. Also there is an external event going that is out of our hands which may mean we stay in the UK a bit longer than that anyway, not sure yet.

Mrs TB has another professional exam on Oct 27th so a bit more clarity will ensue after that. Plus I'm in no shape to travel/pack anyway.

My surgeon explained in more detail what happened with my back, and apparently my disc 'exploded' under pressure and I have bits of discy shrapnel in my back now, he got most of it but I still have some bits causing pain. No work until end of Oct.

Bit frustrating as I have all this down time and can't play guitar, can't train, can't go fishing. The HDD recorder is getting a workout!
Are they replacing it or fusing or ???
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you special I hope they can get it all fixed before you move, and you'll be back to the bike in no time
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Are they replacing it or fusing or ???
No fusing required as according to the surgeon the vertebrae are ok. He can't get a clear picture at the moment (literally) because of the damage but he reckons that there is enough left to be ok. The pieces that exploded were the two bulges that had extended 11mm outside of the vertebrae. He rekons I'm better off without them (easy for him to say!). I'll know more on Nov 3rd whether any follow up work is required.

Physio is happy with progress but gave me a rollocking for trying to turn 'get better' exercises into some kind of training challenge.

I told her it wasn't my fault as the Ironman Hawaii World Champs are on this Saturday and I'm caught up in the hype.

She didn't buy it
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck to you and Mrs TB- sorry to read things didn't turn out quite as you expected and wish you well for the future!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello all,

Just thought I'd update. Saw the surgeon yesterday, he's happy with progress so far, although it could be another 9mths until I get full feeling restored (if at all). I've moved onto active 'rehab' physio, blimey that hurts!

Surgeon hasn't ruled out running eventually but said it would be unadvisable given my age and the distances I like to run Good news is he's cleared me for riding at the end of the year (indoor trainer first).

As for the stay/go question, still up in the air, probably will know more at the end of Nov.

Return to work on Mon (uggh). Won't miss daytime tv, I did watch a few episodes of Wanted Down Under, never seen it before, can't believe the naivety of some those couples
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:23 am
Home Sweet Home

Hello all,

Just thought I'd update. Saw the surgeon yesterday, he's happy with progress so far, although it could be another 9mths until I get full feeling restored (if at all). I've moved onto active 'rehab' physio, blimey that hurts!

Surgeon hasn't ruled out running eventually but said it would be unadvisable given my age and the distances I like to run Good news is he's cleared me for riding at the end of the year (indoor trainer first).

As for the stay/go question, still up in the air, probably will know more at the end of Nov.

Return to work on Mon (uggh). Won't miss daytime tv, I did watch a few episodes of Wanted Down Under, never seen it before, can't believe the naivety of some those couples
Check out The Barbie, I think some of them are on this very forum LOL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.