Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at work, Dave. Being in a workplace which is a toxic cesspool is certainly draining on the soul (I can beat your departure though - 25 years (and I quit because of the atmosphere and attitudes) and I got a card from my colleagues which said nice things and a gift voucher from the collection amongst said colleages and NOT A WORD from my supervisor or any further up the chain even though I quit after sick leave (the stress of potentially going back to the cesspit after a holiday) NOT A WORD to say how sorry they were, thanks for outstanding service (and I know it was), sorry to hear I was sick, NOT A WORD! (An Aussie workplace I hasten to add!)

Hope you can find something else (and I wouldnt have said MK was your quintessentially English place to be, either) and have a more positive experience. I agree, some Poms are definitely glass half empty (living with my mum is a challenge in that regard, she has a PhD in it) but there are some really pleasant and positive people out there that I have encountered in all sorts of forums so I hope you find some of them!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

OP I do think you should consider moving somewhere else in the UK before heading back to Australia. Maybe give the new place/job another 6 months and then decide?

My last job in the UK, which I left in December was one of the worst places I have worked in my whole life. It is an American company and the workload was OVERWHELMING, hours of 9-5.30 were more like 8.30 to 8.30 for some, but I refused to work like that, and the people I worked with were just awful, 4 x 20 somethings who when the manager was not around (a lot of the time he was on the road) would talk filth. I couldn't stand it any longer and I left but not before I got another job and moved to an entirely different part of the country.

I have been here 12 months this week and am still "settling down" apart from my kids and grand-kids I barely give Australia a second thought.........

Sit down and think about how you FEEL in your gut about living in Australia vs living here.

I always felt like an outsider in Australia (29 years) and never fully fit, I felt like I was on the outside looking in for the most part and God knows I tried!! But as much as I can see what's wrong in the UK, I fit in here, I am HOME.

My family are very positive and most of the people I meet are, however there are lots of whingers, especially the elderly where I work who if they had to live in Australia would be shocked at the lack of what they now get for free.

For instance here if somebody falls an ambulance is called at no charge, prescriptions are delivered to their doors for free, bus passes for free and lots of other "goodies", winter fuel allowance and so on but because they have never known anything else they take everything for granted and woe betide the man from Boots if he is late with his prescription delivery!!!

Wait until you have seen the gloriousness of a spring morning in the Lake District or a warm summer's day at the seaside.

For me personally Australia can keep the sun, sea and free BBQ's.

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 4th 2012 at 11:26 am.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:34 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Beedubya, that last line totally sums it up for us. I am amazed at how many people more or less base their whole move on those 3 things when at the end of the day they really are so unimportant.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
OP I do think you should consider moving somewhere else in the UK before heading back to Australia. Maybe give the new place/job another 6 months and then decide?

My last job in the UK, which I left in December was one of the worst places I have worked in my whole life. It is an American company and the workload was OVERWHELMING, hours of 9-5.30 were more like 8.30 to 8.30 for some, but I refused to work like that, and the people I worked with were just awful, 4 x 20 somethings who when the manager was not around (a lot of the time he was on the road) would talk filth. I couldn't stand it any longer and I left but not before I got another job and moved to an entirely different part of the country.

I have been here 12 months this week and am still "settling down" apart from my kids and grand-kids I barely give Australia a second thought.........

Sit down and think about how you FEEL in your gut about living in Australia vs living here.

I always felt like an outsider in Australia (29 years) and never fully fit, I felt like I was on the outside looking in for the most part and God knows I tried!! But as much as I can see what's wrong in the UK, I fit in here, I am HOME.

My family are very positive and most of the people I meet are, however there are lots of whingers, especially the elderly where I work who if they had to live in Australia would be shocked at the lack of what they now get for free.

For instance here if somebody falls an ambulance is called at no charge, prescriptions are delivered to their doors for free, bus passes for free and lots of other "goodies", winter fuel allowance and so on but because they have never known anything else they take everything for granted and woe betide the man from Boots if he is late with his prescription delivery!!!

Wait until you have seen the gloriousness of a spring morning in the Lake District or a warm summer's day at the seaside.For me personally Australia can keep the sun, sea and free BBQ's.
...still tryin'....

How I wish..

No country is Utopia. ALL have problems. But it's about 'home' isn't it?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Beedubya! Glad to hear that you have moved on from a less than ideal workplace as well!!! Hope the new one is going well even if you are surrounded by the glass half empty wrinklies (living with one of them is sometimes enough to drive me to a nice glass of red LOL)
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Wait until you have seen the gloriousness of a spring morning in the Lake District or a warm summer's day at the seaside.

I feel just like this Beedubya although about Canada rather than Oz - have barely given it a thought, glad you have managed to find your feet and get a better job. I think that part of the OP's problem is that it can take longer than unexpected to fit back in.
We too have found moving back more difficult than we could have anticipated but finally seem to be turning a corner job wise. Spring and Easter are coming ( my fave time in the UK ) and after a rough few months it all feels good.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Great post Beedubya! Glad to hear that you have moved on from a less than ideal workplace as well!!! Hope the new one is going well even if you are surrounded by the glass half empty wrinklies (living with one of them is sometimes enough to drive me to a nice glass of red LOL)
Thanks Quoll, I know what you mean, some of the old "dears" are worse than kids LOL!! I just smile sweetly and nod and crack open the Aussie red when I finish for the day.

I have found a lovely Lindemans at the Co-op this week reduced to £4.49, life is good!!!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
I feel just like this Beedubya although about Canada rather than Oz - have barely given it a thought, glad you have managed to find your feet and get a better job. I think that part of the OP's problem is that it can take longer than unexpected to fit back in.
We too have found moving back more difficult than we could have anticipated but finally seem to be turning a corner job wise. Spring and Easter are coming ( my fave time in the UK ) and after a rough few months it all feels good.
Thank you.

Yes it takes a while doesn't it, no different to when we all emigrated.

It's still our home, still the same but different.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Great post ... I always enjoy reading your experiences on your return home,keep em coming.

Cheers I.G.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

My DH said the same thing yesterday.....I understand how some people can be swayed but the new and shiny etc but having just had a few days touring Norfolk (we are all still deciding on where we want to settle here in England lol) just driving through the villages and miles of sandy beaches.....the UK is on the whole a lovely country....yes having more Sun would be fantastic but there is just much more depth to here than the weather.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I have always had great send offs from work places in England, I still have many friends from the places I worked at and we stay in touch. I caught up with a few of them on my last trip back. Ironically the bad leaving experiences I had were here in Australia, the last one was after a holiday I became I'll and had to genuinely have more time off, when I went in the boss said I wasn't needed anymore and asked me to clear my stuff and was escorted out. I don't for one second think that applies to all companies here of course but without doubt the best friends I have made through work have been in the UK.
To be honest I think the OP has already decided.
That brings to mind when in St Albans, visiting a friend when in UK in 2010.
We went to a lovely old pub there, the name escapes me, and in another section was a lot of people,decked out in Aussie flags, some folk wearing cork hats etc, turned out it was a work do, saying farwell to a collegue moving out to Melbourne. When they learnt I lived in OZ ,my friend and I were invited to join by the boss and never put our hands in our pockets all night.
Talk about being in the right place at the right time......really nice time.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Sound post. But there positives about complaining. It makes the government work very hard trying to sell the reason why such and such needs to be done.

If folk think the Brits are bad they should live in France. Far more whingers.
Here in Australia entitlements are being eroded over time. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Read something the other day about the present lot talking about the cost of free transport for pensioners.....in UK..

Agree the seasons are something else ..a day by the seaside in England is so unique as is the spring and the blooming .....Jan and Feb hard to say much good about though....
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:56 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
.Jan and Feb hard to say much good about though....
Coming from New York, I've got something: there isn't 2 feet of snow to shovel off the driveway on a regular basis.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Coming from New York, I've got something: there isn't 2 feet of snow to shovel off the driveway on a regular basis.
Well I can recall shovelling snow when lived on a houseboat at Twickenham in the winter of 79. Very severe winter. Rough living on a houseboat at the time, but we were young and not unduely bothered. Rare though I do admit.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Sound post. But there positives about complaining. It makes the government work very hard trying to sell the reason why such and such needs to be done.

If folk think the Brits are bad they should live in France. Far more whingers.
Here in Australia entitlements are being eroded over time. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Read something the other day about the present lot talking about the cost of free transport for pensioners.....in UK..

Agree the seasons are something else ..a day by the seaside in England is so unique as is the spring and the blooming .....Jan and Feb hard to say much good about though....
The weather here this year has been just fantastic so far. We have had 2 days of snow which cleared up by the next day.

This week the weather has been so warm I have had to open the windows and am sitting here in short sleeves in MARCH!!!

The spring flowers are all coming up daffodils, crocuses, hyacinths, etc. The cherry and apple blossom trees are all bursting with flowers. I am sitting here now looking at all this out of my window, the sun is shining and it's just lovely, and how about this we have wild parakeets in these here parts!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I saw flashes of green birds, I thought I must have imagined it but no - I checked with a neighbour!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/surrey/h...00/8286707.stm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.