American TV Commercials

Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really nice
Default Re: American TV Commercials

Originally Posted by MrBritUSA
I also have a way to watch Brit TV. I use PROXPN which connects me to a UK server. I can then watch BBC 1, 2, and 3, ITV 1, 2, 3 and 4 Channel 4 and Channel 5. I then connect this to my big screen TV via HDMI out on my laptop. I love the selection. Hundreds of brit shows to watch all for only $5.00 a month. Well worth it. Highly recommended for any of us Brits who miss UK TV.
I use a similar product and I can't recall the last time I watched American TV other than on-demand with no commercials. I watch all of BBC, ITV, and Channel 4... Why would I suffer through NBC's endless commercials of drudgery such as "Do you have cancer?" "Constipated?" "Depression?" and my favorite of all times "Happy leg syndrome"
No thanks
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you find Channel 4's player hard to watch though? It just has too many ads for me and I find I get just as frustrated as with the TV.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Don't you find Channel 4's player hard to watch though? It just has too many ads for me and I find I get just as frustrated as with the TV.
ITV and Channel 4 can get a bit frustrating at times; specially when they repeat the same comercial over and over. Also the BBC is by far the best stram of all in terms of picture quality, and more often than not, quality
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Going back to the US medical ads, I hate it when they say "ask your doctor about...." when referring to a certain medication.

I was always led to believe that it was the doctors job to tell you which medication would be best for you.

Annoying!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:15 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
Going back to the US medical ads, I hate it when they say "ask your doctor about...." when referring to a certain medication.

I was always led to believe that it was the doctors job to tell you which medication would be best for you.

Annoying!
This raises big questions about a profit driven health care system. Is what the doctor suggesting the best for you, or the best for them.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

my Canadian missus has recently got rid of her telly and cable package, and now just watches everything on DVD or on the net. although she only really watches UK stuff anyway...
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

I can agree with everything posted above!

I haven't had US cable for months now and I don't miss it at all. I can watch comedy central online, Netflix, bbc I player and other online streaming like topdocumentariesonline.com for uninterupted viewing.

American TV commercials are the worst. Ever noticed how some some will repeat the same ad 2 or 3 times in a row!

The car ads always annoyed me the most on TV and on radio.....you must have a new car, now, you must have one, it's so cheap, bad credit, no credit, bankruptcy, repo ....no problem, come on down today for your brand new Hyundai.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:48 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bevm
There's always PBS.

Bev
Yes, I know but there is not much on PBS nowadays. Which is sad because it was really good about 15 years ago.

Annoying!
100% agreed. I hate it when they say " ask your doctor about" because the last time I checked was it the doctors job to tell you what drug is best for you.
Also if I asked my doctor about a certain medication that I saw on TV he or she would just blow me off or some doctors would just give the drug to me because they make money when they prescribe a certain medication.

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
my Canadian missus has recently got rid of her telly and cable package, and now just watches everything on DVD or on the net. although she only really watches UK stuff anyway...
I do watch american stuff but I got rid of cable months ago because I do not watch much TV so for me there was not much need for cable TV.

Originally Posted by alicat26
I can agree with everything posted above!

I haven't had US cable for months now and I don't miss it at all. I can watch comedy central online, Netflix, bbc I player and other online streaming like topdocumentariesonline.com for uninterupted viewing.

American TV commercials are the worst. Ever noticed how some some will repeat the same ad 2 or 3 times in a row!

The car ads always annoyed me the most on TV and on radio.....you must have a new car, now, you must have one, it's so cheap, bad credit, no credit, bankruptcy, repo ....no problem, come on down today for your brand new Hyundai.
I am the same when it comes to cable TV.

I really hate the car ads as well. I hate that they tell you that you must have that brand new car today. Just makes me so sick.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

I'm warming to this topic!

Does anyone else here really hate the US jewelry ads as well? Especially at this time of year.

It's all sentimental tosh and then the prices of the pieces are outrageous. It's basically saying "you don't really love somebody unless you buy them a really tasteless ring doused in diamonds and costing no less than $8000". I can tell you right now that my wife's wedding ring was bought in the UK and cost a very very tiny fraction of what most people pay for them over here. Over here though it seems that the more expensive the better and it follows that the more you pay the more you love the person!

I also hate the ads for cars that assume that it's the most normal thing in the world to buy somebody a brand new car for Xmas.

Do these people know there is a recession on???
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

In medical ads the list of side effects alone would put you off taking the drugs, especially the one about "may cause sudden death".
Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

And the ad soundtracks are much LOUDER than the program soundtracks so you have to reach for the volume control so your ears don't get blasted.

My wife likes to watch the Big Bang Theory and if we miss it I'll download it for her to watch another time. With the ads cut out the show runs for about 22 minutes in a 30 minute time slot!

And if you figure in those shows that do a few minutes recap/preview at the start/end of each ad break, that cuts the time of original programming down even more.

The US ads are much more annoying than the UK ones - there is no wit or cleverness about most of them and the ones for medical products are really depressing. The rest tend to be about products that can allegedly make you look/feel younger. They feeds into people's paranoia.

I actually download quite a lot of old UK TV ads from the 70's and 80's and will often sit and watch them of an evening (how sad! ). I find it much more entertaining that most US TV.
British TV companies got into trouble with the TV watchdog over the volume changed, it still changes, but by a lot less. TV programmes in the UK are being taken over by adverts as well, sometimes the first 15 min slot of the programme lasts 10 mins, and I suspect the 'sponsored by' bit gets included as programme time.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
British TV companies got into trouble with the TV watchdog over the volume changed, it still changes, but by a lot less. .
True. I believe a lot of the ad companies get around the rules by compressing the advert soundtracks - so they sound much louder...but technically they aren't amplifying them. They always find a loophole.
I do hate the way the British TV shows seem to be following the US one with the sponsorship - seems to be that everybody thinks that apeing the USA is the way to go these days
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

True. I believe a lot of the ad companies get around the rules by compressing the advert soundtracks - so they sound much louder...but technically they aren't amplifying them. They always find a loophole.
I do hate the way the British TV shows seem to be following the US one with the sponsorship - seems to be that everybody thinks that apeing the USA is the way to go these days
Sponsorship is just another way for the TV companies to make money, and another way for the advertisers to get their name out there.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Sponsorship is just another way for the TV companies to make money, and another way for the advertisers to get their name out there.
Not if you have a DVR - Fast Forward is my favourite button on the remote.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:47 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not if you have a DVR - Fast Forward is my favourite button on the remote.
True, and we often record programmes from the commercial channels just for that reason.