Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by elfman
How many kids do you have?
Just curious.
I have 3 children. A son and twin girls
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:21 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
I'm in the UK
are you an insomniac?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

are you an insomniac?
sometimes yeah, although I will be going to bed soon, 3.20am :scared:

Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:30 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 children. A son and twin girls
did you forget one?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=68
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

????? That's my DOGS
Old Sep 8th 2006, 3:13 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

"When in Rome, do as the Romans Do".

Ride a Vespa?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

andrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond repute

....to get back to the original question asked.....no, of course you're not mad to want to move to the UK. Of course, along with most western industrialized countries it has its share of social problems....but is hardly alone in that. not particularly to 'have at go' at different countries, but you only have to look at france for example, which suffered the huge wave of rioting last year, or the US, with the breakdown in civil society that followed the new orleans hurricane or closer to my present home, the massive number of homeless people that exist in places like vancouver or calgary. some of the problems the UK faces are worse that some places, not so bad as some places, but its hardly alone in facing them.
another down side..... because of the great housing price boom of the last 5-8 years, houses are prohibitively expensive to buy in the UK, unless you already have some equity of your own.
of course on a website for expats, or wannebe expats, you're going to come across some people who are unhappy with their life there. But more importantly from my point of view, all more family and friends who still live are doing just fine....the usual grumbles, but thats it. certainly all my friends have more than kept pace financially with how i've been doing since i moved to canada...they've set up their own small businesses or are doing interesting work or some such similar thing...
And also....the UK has a good standard of living. it has some truly beautiful and accesible countryside. it has a depth of history that is truly amazing. its cities are vibrant cultural centres. the pubs are the best in the world.
for all of these reasons and a load more i'm very happily moving back in about 6 weeks. to all who are thinking of doing likewise, good luck!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 5:38 am
Just Joined

decca will become famous soon enough

Twoddle !!! We aren't allowed to shout about it or complain anymore. PC gone made here in the UK, and we have to watch everything we say in case someone overhears and is offended.

I don't hate the UK. I disagree with a lot of things, as there is in every Country, but I think after reading many, many threads about the same thing, it seems a lot of comments regarding foreigners and immigrants comes down to an overall feeling of................."When in Rome, do as the Romans Do". In most Countries this applies, yet in the UK, we have to change our rules and laws to fit around those coming here to make them feel more comfortable. People WILL argue my point about this but I have felt it personally.

My son (6 at the time) was playing at school with his best friend who was south African. They were chatting on the bench after lunchtime about chocolate they liked, milk chocolate, white chocolate, dark etc. The following day myself and husband were called in for a 'Meeting' with the Headmaster, the Deputy Head, the Secretary and someone from the Education Authority complaints department. We were told my son would be suspended from school pending an investigation into his "RACIST COMMENTS". :scared: It turned out in the end (by witness of a Dinner lady on duty in the playground), that a Somali girl who was 3 years older, overheard my son's conversation with his friend and complained that they were talking about colours of people and what they did and didn't like Of course my son and his friend being only 6 were not believed and the 9 year old Somali girl, who spoke NO English and relayed this complaint through her father, WAS believed and hence my son has that complaint on his school record for good, even though it was resolved and he was not suspended. Now whatever school he goes to (we changed a few months ago) I was asked if my son had racial issues ????? :scared:

My daughter had a similar incident, where she asked her classmate why she was 'brown' and her mum was white (a reasonable question in the eyes of a child), which threw up confusion for the little black girl who asked her mum, who in turn complained to the school. Again, same procedure for her too (and she was only 5). These incidents legally now, have to be investigated and recorded.

My kids didn't know what racist meant, and now I've had to explain to them that they are not allowed to talk about people's colours.

I'm not racist and I just think that if some of the immigrants here were willing to take on a bit more of OUR culture, instead of forcing theirs on us, Brits might be a little more accepting of them and the controversies they cause. PC gone demented from our Government means we can no longer be truly free with our speech. We are no longer allowed to advertise Pork on TV for offending Muslims ! (Just an example) (See Roman quote above) For anyone who says this doesn't happen, live in a major multi-cultural UK city with children and see what it throws up

All Countries have their problems, whether it be saying 'hello Love' or 'have a nice day', whatever it is someone will have a problem with it. I personally find being called 'love' by a 17 yr old in the supermarket very patronising.

I love parts of the UK and I love parts of Australia. I found generally Australians to be very polite and helpful. I have come accross the odd one or two that were not, but that's to be expected. When we lived in Australia we lived as an Australian would and never expected anything else. It so annoys me when people want to emmigrate from their 'Crap' Country then try to change their 'new' Country to match their old one (Se Roman Quote above)

I think it is disgusting that your son was punished for mentioning dark chocolate, was the other lad punished for mentioning white chocolate, I think not, it is annoying when people leave their own country and expect the new country to treat them like kings and queens, we found a lot of that in UK, I am British and proud of it and I am not racist but I think the way the system is working it could make people racist. I have met bad people in UK and Australia, and agree when in Rome etc.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

We are no longer allowed to advertise Pork on TV for offending Muslims !
While we're talking about twaddle where did you hear that?? Please provide a link to some proof as I've not heard that before.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christinabell
...we dont have British shows on our TV,

Chris ( who is now feeling like a sitting target :scared: )
No, just American ones!!!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it_hooker
No, just American ones!!!

Aint that the truth !! When I was growing up here our TV was nearly all Brit shows, all the old comedies etc, which were brilliant. But for some reason they gradually replaced them with American... and even worse....Aussie crap. My point was however that people get upset because they expect Brit shows here. That would be like me going to the UK and expecting oz shows on ur telly....oh wait... u have. On behalf of all Australians I apologise for Rolf Harris and Cell Block 4
Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:15 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

While we're talking about twaddle where did you hear that?? Please provide a link to some proof as I've not heard that before.
I think she's babbling....
Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Aint that the truth !! When I was growing up here our TV was nearly all Brit shows, all the old comedies etc, which were brilliant. But for some reason they gradually replaced them with American... and even worse....Aussie crap. My point was however that people get upset because they expect Brit shows here. That would be like me going to the UK and expecting oz shows on ur telly....oh wait... u have. On behalf of all Australians I apologise for Rolf Harris and Cell Block 4
What? No apology for Neighbours, Home and Away and a host of other daytime drivel?

ps: Oh, and that Dame Edna Everidge!!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

What? No apology for Neighbours, Home and Away and a host of other daytime drivel?

ps: Oh, and that Dame Edna Everidge!!
Fair enough.. u will get an apology out of me for the Aussie soaps, but I will only apologise for Dame Edna if u apologise for Danny La Rue lol
Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Fair enough.. u will get an apology out of me for the Aussie soaps, but I will only apologise for Dame Edna if u apologise for Danny La Rue lol
Did we sell him to Australia?? Fair dinkum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.