Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by decca
I Totally agree with you, I haven't met many friendly Australians, they are very racist and so far up themselves, they hate the Brits and most of them have British ancestors, and if it wasn't for the Brits there would be no Australia
Here I am !! I am a friendly Australian.... well.. my mum thinks I am lol. I dont hate Brits, in fact Im marrying one. I wouldnt say Australia on a whole hate Brits either. I always thought we had a friendly agreement with u that we stir the hell out of each other . For eg. u call us convicts.. we stir u about the Ashes....um...err.... well we used to be able to lol. Yes a lot of us are racists, but the main racist attacks are against those that refuse to learn our language and dont integrate with the rest of our society. Its always been my opinion that the Brits dont have this problem. Besides the obvious fact u can speak english, u all seem to fit in with the rest of us quite well so dont "stick out like a sore thumb" and set yourselves up as targets like other races. However in saying that, I dont think that makes us any different to any other country in the world, the UK included. Racism is alive and well in nearly every country. The same goes with bullying, crime, bad drivers and so on. It happens everywhere

I think a lot of Brit immigrants come here expecting a mini Britain and are terribly disappointed to find out we are not. Yes we are part of the Commonwealth, but we are also a seperate entity and have our own way of life and our own customs. We dont have Tescos, we dont have British shows on our TV, we do drive differently to u and no we dont go out when it rains. We do have racism, we do have high crime and parts of the country are very expensive to live in. I have the greatest admiration for people who decide to pack up and move to the other side of the world. They are a lot braver than I am. However,I really do think some people come here with rose tinted glasses on expecting Utopia and that we are not. If anyone is considering moving ANYWHERE they should do a lot of research first so they know what to expect and dont get disappointed when they get there.

I am very proud of my British ancestry and I am an even prouder Australian. Im not knocking any of u for having ur opinion as not only are we are all entitled to that, some of it I agree with. There ARE some ugly Australians, but lets keep in mind we dont have a monoply on that market, theres rude unfriendly people everywhere. All I am suggesting is research before you get here...dont move to one city in Oz and presume that the rest of the country is the same.... and give us hell about the ashes......cos I bloody hope u wont be able to for much longer lol

Chris ( who is now feeling like a sitting target :scared: )
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:59 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
All depends on what you mean by riff raff.

Chavs, idiots, people who are ignorant.

Crime , abuse and uncivilised behaviour happens everywhere - it just seems a lot less where we are now.... just my experience & opinion
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:03 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christinabell
Here I am !! I am a friendly Australian....

Your friendliness deserves Karma!!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
Your friendliness deserves Karma!!
Aww thank u Arnie !

Chris
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:35 am
Just Joined

decca will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christinabell
Here I am !! I am a friendly Australian.... well.. my mum thinks I am lol. I dont hate Brits, in fact Im marrying one. I wouldnt say Australia on a whole hate Brits either. I always thought we had a friendly agreement with u that we stir the hell out of each other . For eg. u call us convicts.. we stir u about the Ashes....um...err.... well we used to be able to lol. Yes a lot of us are racists, but the main racist attacks are against those that refuse to learn our language and dont integrate with the rest of our society. Its always been my opinion that the Brits dont have this problem. Besides the obvious fact u can speak english, u all seem to fit in with the rest of us quite well so dont "stick out like a sore thumb" and set yourselves up as targets like other races. However in saying that, I dont think that makes us any different to any other country in the world, the UK included. Racism is alive and well in nearly every country. The same goes with bullying, crime, bad drivers and so on. It happens everywhere

I think a lot of Brit immigrants come here expecting a mini Britain and are terribly disappointed to find out we are not. Yes we are part of the Commonwealth, but we are also a seperate entity and have our own way of life and our own customs. We dont have Tescos, we dont have British shows on our TV, we do drive differently to u and no we dont go out when it rains. We do have racism, we do have high crime and parts of the country are very expensive to live in. I have the greatest admiration for people who decide to pack up and move to the other side of the world. They are a lot braver than I am. However,I really do think some people come here with rose tinted glasses on expecting Utopia and that we are not. If anyone is considering moving ANYWHERE they should do a lot of research first so they know what to expect and dont get disappointed when they get there.

I am very proud of my British ancestry and I am an even prouder Australian. Im not knocking any of u for having ur opinion as not only are we are all entitled to that, some of it I agree with. There ARE some ugly Australians, but lets keep in mind we dont have a monoply on that market, theres rude unfriendly people everywhere. All I am suggesting is research before you get here...dont move to one city in Oz and presume that the rest of the country is the same.... and give us hell about the ashes......cos I bloody hope u wont be able to for much longer lol

Chris ( who is now feeling like a sitting target :scared: )
I have never mentioned the ashes, it is a sore subject with Australians who are very poor losers, I never mention it anywhere, but Australians seem to love to bring it up, also they love to bring up the fact that England won the rugby, I have never heard the Brits go on about this, I get a lot of grief over the fact we don't have a number one tennis player, why do the Aussies keep on bringing up all their sports players, Britain has some great sports player only we don't feel the need to shove it in anyone's face, I am sure you are a very nice Aussie and I have met some nice ones but the majority I have met are not.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on what you mean by riff raff. But when a boy walked home from school in this town and was dragged into a car coming home from the library in broad daylight and then taken to a toilet block and raped.There was hardley a whisper about it no outrage and when I said something to a local school teacher you would have thought I had done the deed!There is alot of of the same stuff going on here as in the UK the difference is they shout about it.Australia doesn't. It would tarnish the image perhaps?

I could not agree more with the point you are making, same crimes, far less fuss and publicity.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:35 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
It realy depends on your concept of the countryside and how much cash you have. We moved back from Sydney to a riverside village in south Hampshire with easy access to countryside (New Forest, South Downs) and cities (Southampton, Winchester, Portsmouth, Chichester, Portsmouth, Brighton, London even) and absolutely love it. IT is thebest of both worlds. Living in a stranded village may be inconvenient for some - many Londoners move straight back to London from slepy country villages.
I lived near the New Forest for years...I really miss it...
I've lived in ..Pompy...Titchfield Village...Portchester...Fareham...I had great friends in Hants...and I really miss them ....
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

There is alot of of the same stuff going on here as in the UK the difference is they shout about it. Australia doesn't.
Twoddle !!! We aren't allowed to shout about it or complain anymore. PC gone made here in the UK, and we have to watch everything we say in case someone overhears and is offended.

I don't hate the UK. I disagree with a lot of things, as there is in every Country, but I think after reading many, many threads about the same thing, it seems a lot of comments regarding foreigners and immigrants comes down to an overall feeling of................."When in Rome, do as the Romans Do". In most Countries this applies, yet in the UK, we have to change our rules and laws to fit around those coming here to make them feel more comfortable. People WILL argue my point about this but I have felt it personally.

My son (6 at the time) was playing at school with his best friend who was south African. They were chatting on the bench after lunchtime about chocolate they liked, milk chocolate, white chocolate, dark etc. The following day myself and husband were called in for a 'Meeting' with the Headmaster, the Deputy Head, the Secretary and someone from the Education Authority complaints department. We were told my son would be suspended from school pending an investigation into his "RACIST COMMENTS". :scared: It turned out in the end (by witness of a Dinner lady on duty in the playground), that a Somali girl who was 3 years older, overheard my son's conversation with his friend and complained that they were talking about colours of people and what they did and didn't like Of course my son and his friend being only 6 were not believed and the 9 year old Somali girl, who spoke NO English and relayed this complaint through her father, WAS believed and hence my son has that complaint on his school record for good, even though it was resolved and he was not suspended. Now whatever school he goes to (we changed a few months ago) I was asked if my son had racial issues ????? :scared:

My daughter had a similar incident, where she asked her classmate why she was 'brown' and her mum was white (a reasonable question in the eyes of a child), which threw up confusion for the little black girl who asked her mum, who in turn complained to the school. Again, same procedure for her too (and she was only 5). These incidents legally now, have to be investigated and recorded.

My kids didn't know what racist meant, and now I've had to explain to them that they are not allowed to talk about people's colours.

I'm not racist and I just think that if some of the immigrants here were willing to take on a bit more of OUR culture, instead of forcing theirs on us, Brits might be a little more accepting of them and the controversies they cause. PC gone demented from our Government means we can no longer be truly free with our speech. We are no longer allowed to advertise Pork on TV for offending Muslims ! (Just an example) (See Roman quote above) For anyone who says this doesn't happen, live in a major multi-cultural UK city with children and see what it throws up

All Countries have their problems, whether it be saying 'hello Love' or 'have a nice day', whatever it is someone will have a problem with it. I personally find being called 'love' by a 17 yr old in the supermarket very patronising.

I love parts of the UK and I love parts of Australia. I found generally Australians to be very polite and helpful. I have come accross the odd one or two that were not, but that's to be expected. When we lived in Australia we lived as an Australian would and never expected anything else. It so annoys me when people want to emmigrate from their 'Crap' Country then try to change their 'new' Country to match their old one (Se Roman Quote above)

Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:58 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
My son (6 at the time) was playing at school with his best friend who was south African. They were chatting on the bench after lunchtime about chocolate they liked, milk chocolate, white chocolate, dark etc. The following day myself and husband were called in for a 'Meeting' with the Headmaster, the Deputy Head, the Secretary and someone from the Education Authority complaints department. We were told my son would be suspended from school pending an investigation into his "RACIST COMMENTS". :scared: It turned out in the end (by witness of a Dinner lady on duty in the playground), that a Somali girl who was 3 years older, overheard my son's conversation with his friend and complained that they were talking about colours of people and what they did and didn't like Of course my son and his friend being only 6 were not believed and the 9 year old Somali girl, who spoke NO English and relayed this complaint through her father, WAS believed and hence my son has that complaint on his school record for good, even though it was resolved and he was not suspended. Now whatever school he goes to (we changed a few months ago) I was asked if my son had racial issues ????? :scared:
Ok - hate to be pedantic here but if the Solami girl doesn't speak english how the **** did she know what your son and his friend were talking about ???
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ok - hate to be pedantic here but if the Solami girl doesn't speak english how the **** did she know what your son and his friend were talking about ???
The rolling of eyes really isn't necessary. She understood English, but refused to speak it in school, then told her father who would openly speak English.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:08 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

The rolling of eyes really isn't necessary. She understood English, but refused to speak it in school, then told her father who would openly speak English.
uh-huh
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:09 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Riiiiiiiiiiiight
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:10 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by elfman
uh-huh
So, who do you think Mally Lass actually is ??
I suspect its a yank or aussie based poster in disguise, but can't quite figure out who.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
So, who do you think Mally Lass actually is ??
I suspect its a yank or aussie based poster in disguise, but can't quite figure out who.
eh ??? I'm in the UK why would I be someone else (wish I was someone else, cos everyone else has got more money than me )
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:14 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

My son (6 at the time)

My daughter had a similar incident,
How many kids do you have?
Just curious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.