*potentially* moving to the UK

Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default *potentially* moving to the UK

Hi all... Some of you may know me from the Canada/Maple Leaf forums or the Europe/Malta forums, but I'm a dual Canadian/Maltese citizen looking to emigrate sometime in the future... (Don't like it here in Canada ...)

I've toyed around with going home (to Malta) , to Australia, and to the UK...

Oz has been ruled out (for the most part) because of the fact that I can't just up sticks and work there - I have to deal with visas and such and could be deported and blah blah blah... It is still an option but it is largely ruled out for now.

Malta is where I would like to be, and my first choice, but the job situation is not so good, ie a person with a degree in a field that might make 50-60 thousand GBP per year in the UK or in Canada might make 35,000 euro per year max in Malta... (More likely 20,000 to 25,000 euro per year.) I will most likely end up there in the future once the job situation balances out or I retire. I will definitely live in Malta when I retire.

The UK is an option, as I am an EU citizen, so I wouldn't need a visa and I would have access to UK citizenship after a few years... It has what I want in a place to live - a milder climate, decent job opportunities, English speaking, and much closer to Malta (and cheaper to get to Malta) than Canada is...

I was thinking of Bristol when I think of the UK, as I have a friend that comes from there, and she loves it and can't wait to go home... From what I know it is a decent sized city with an international airport and not too sky-rockety expensive cost of living. Am I right?

My questions are...
Weather - How is the weather in Bristol/that area of England? From what the weather network tells me it is much warmer than Canada in winter. (Keep in mind I am sitting here in -20 Celsius freezing at the moment so, yes, +6 and rain is wonderful compared to -20, snow and ice) I know it is probably very rainy, but my main question is does it get snow? And if so how often? And does the temperature frequently go below 0 degrees Celsius? And how is the summer climate? (Although i'm not too worried as if I am tired of the rain a quick trip over a weekend to Malta will fix it)

Jobs - Is the job market in Bristol good, or do most Bristolites find themselves going to London for better-paid work? (I hope not as I don't really want to live in London, too mainstream ) I would be coming armed with a Canadian university degree - I intend to survive here in hell for another 7.5 years until I am done high school and done 4 years of uni.

Cost of housing - Is the rent cost in Bristol for a decent sized apartment with heating/air conditioning OK or is it out of control like, say London.

Car - I will need a car as I love driving and probably wouldn't be able to get on without it. How is car insurance there - anything can be cheaper than Canada LOL! If you could recommend a company that would be great. What about fuel prices?

That's about it for now... I know i'm thinking very far in advance, but I want to become familiar with the places I might want to live in in the future, instead of coming over knowing nothing, my operation failing and being forced to go back to Canada. Because I know one thing for sure, i'm leaving Canada the month I graduate from uni, and that's that.

Thanks for your help
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:34 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *potentially* moving to the UK

I was actually born in Bristol but dont remember it as we left for Australia when I was around 18 months of age.
Bristol itself covers a huge area and much of it is very nice, like anywhere of course there are areas to avoid but they are the minority.
Jobwise the unemployment rate is around the national average of 7%.
The cost of living and housing is nothing like London. I can be specific as far as housing costs but I would imagine in most areas about 1/2 to 3/4 of a comparable area in London.
Weather wise it a winter in Bristol will seem almost tropical, we arent a million miles from Bristol and have had perhaps 5 or 6 morning frosts this winter. Summer weather is variable, never too hot but the summers can be disappointing if you are from a hot climate or live for the sun. I personally dont mind the summers here at all.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Hi all... Some of you may know me from the Canada/Maple Leaf forums or the Europe/Malta forums, but I'm a dual Canadian/Maltese citizen looking to emigrate sometime in the future... (Don't like it here in Canada ...)

I would be coming armed with a Canadian university degree - I intend to survive here in hell for another 7.5 years until I am done high school and done 4 years of uni.

Thanks for your help
Are you still at school and looking for information to help you in 7.5 years time?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot, car insurance is obviously dependant on a lot of factors so is hard to comment on. I pay under £200 for my comprehensive cover to drive my car and my wifes car. Petrol is £1.28 a litre at the moment but I get 50mpg so it doesnt worry me too much.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:56 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I've toyed around with going home (to Malta) , to Australia, and to the UK...

Oz has been ruled out (for the most part) because of the fact that I can't just up sticks and work there - I have to deal with visas and such and could be deported and blah blah blah... It is still an option but it is largely ruled out for now.
why not experience Australia on a 417 visa?

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx

Maltese people that I know have at least one relative in OZ & you never know, by going to OZ you might end up meeting a nice Australian to marry & you could end up eventually with an Australian passport.

Having a Canadian, Maltese & Australian passport you could live almost anywhere visa free

Last edited by not2old; Feb 6th 2014 at 10:54 am.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:15 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I was brought up about 18 miles from Bristol. Several members of my family worked in Bristol for years, and I have family members living there. It's a nice city, with a lot of jobs. Close to many nice spots of coast and countryside. Good shopping. Housing is quite expensive. It rains a lot, because of the proximity to the Bristol channel, and all the rain and storms that come off the Atlantic.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
why not experience Australia on a 417 visa?

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx

Maltese people that I know have at least one relative in OZ & you never know, by going to OZ you might end up meeting a nice Australian to marry & you could end up eventually with an Australian passport.

Having a Canadian, Maltese & Australian passport you could live almost anywhere visa free
Yeah, you're theory's right with me too, I do have a relative in Australia LOL... Not that I speak to them, I doubt they even know me, but I know that they are there... And yes, triple nationality would be nice

I have thought on the Aus 417/Working holiday visa but the issue is if I go to uni for 4 years I can't go to Oz on a 417 and get a career-related job there, as no employer will want to employ you if your getting kicked out of the country in a year... (I had a thread in the Oz forum on this ... They told me that after the 417 runs out I can't apply to stay in Oz permanently, I must return to Malta/Canada)

Then again, after uni I may want a break from the rat-race and such, so a non-career job(s) in Oz for a year just travelling would be pretty nice IMO, and yeah possibly meet some fine Ozzie lady and end up staying down there

Still haven't ruled Oz out though, I correct myself from my first post
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mallory
I was brought up about 18 miles from Bristol. Several members of my family worked in Bristol for years, and I have family members living there. It's a nice city, with a lot of jobs. Close to many nice spots of coast and countryside. Good shopping. Housing is quite expensive. It rains a lot, because of the proximity to the Bristol channel, and all the rain and storms that come off the Atlantic.
Thank you! Sounds good... May I ask, does Bristol have an Apple Store? Not that it matters too much, a drive to London isn't far for a new iPhone

I'm a big apple fanatic
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by aries
Are you still at school and looking for information to help you in 7.5 years time?
Yeah, I am... I've always wanted to move away from Canada and know i'm going to do it, but I want to do it right... A little research and curiosity can't hurt, ah?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
I was actually born in Bristol but dont remember it as we left for Australia when I was around 18 months of age.
Bristol itself covers a huge area and much of it is very nice, like anywhere of course there are areas to avoid but they are the minority.
Jobwise the unemployment rate is around the national average of 7%.
The cost of living and housing is nothing like London. I can be specific as far as housing costs but I would imagine in most areas about 1/2 to 3/4 of a comparable area in London.
Weather wise it a winter in Bristol will seem almost tropical, we arent a million miles from Bristol and have had perhaps 5 or 6 morning frosts this winter. Summer weather is variable, never too hot but the summers can be disappointing if you are from a hot climate or live for the sun. I personally dont mind the summers here at all.
Thanks, lots of good info there. Regarding the car insurance, is that 200 GBP per year? If so that's a great deal compared to Canada LOL! The cost of living by the way you sound it is probably close to or lower than where I live, so thats great... And coming from Canada and hating winter with all my guts, I think the "tropical" winters of Bristol will be a welcome, welcome change

It's looking like the UK is a viable option for me to emigrate to, IMO... Has the balance of what I like in Canada and what I like in Malta... Providing it stays in the EU freedom of movement area ()
Old Feb 7th 2014, 8:28 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, lots of good info there. Regarding the car insurance, is that 200 GBP per year? If so that's a great deal compared to Canada LOL! The cost of living by the way you sound it is probably close to or lower than where I live, so thats great... And coming from Canada and hating winter with all my guts, I think the "tropical" winters of Bristol will be a welcome, welcome change

It's looking like the UK is a viable option for me to emigrate to, IMO... Has the balance of what I like in Canada and what I like in Malta... Providing it stays in the EU freedom of movement area ()
Unless Chris drives a Ferrari and has frequent accidents, that will be £200 per year. That is close to the bottom end for someone with a good record and a normal car.

Even my hiking friend who has three cars, including a Porsche, only pays about £200 a year. He hasn't had an accident in almost 50 years of driving.

Younger, inexperienced drivers with no record, or some returning expats might have to pay several hundred pounds a year. I think my first year back I paid about £500.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Sounds good... May I ask, does Bristol have an Apple Store? Not that it matters too much, a drive to London isn't far for a new iPhone

I'm a big apple fanatic
Glad to know you're an Apple fan

Here's an Apple Store in Bristol.
http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/cabotcircus/
Old Feb 8th 2014, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
Unless Chris drives a Ferrari and has frequent accidents, that will be £200 per year. That is close to the bottom end for someone with a good record and a normal car.

Even my hiking friend who has three cars, including a Porsche, only pays about £200 a year. He hasn't had an accident in almost 50 years of driving.

Younger, inexperienced drivers with no record, or some returning expats might have to pay several hundred pounds a year. I think my first year back I paid about £500.
LOL! Thanks for the info... 500 pounds a year (about CDN$1000) is normal for Canada for experienced, accident-free drivers ! so 200 GBP is very cheap or even 300 ...
Old Feb 8th 2014, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by aries
Glad to know you're an Apple fan

Here's an Apple Store in Bristol.
http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/cabotcircus/
Haha Thanks!!
Old Feb 8th 2014, 10:23 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A few thoughts.

- Bristol is an attractive city and underrated IMO.

- A Maltese and Canadian passport means you can vote in all elections: local, national and European, which is nice.

- Bristol does indeed have its own airport but it doesn't fly to too many destinations. However Bristol is at one end of the Great Western Railway so you could get from Bristol to London Heathrow in two hours.

- Likewise London is less than two hours away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.