*potentially* moving to the UK

Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *potentially* moving to the UK

Originally Posted by dollface
I returned last year, passed my test in UK a good 20 plus years ago, went to Canada for 13 years no accidents etc. Sadly on my return, the UK insurance market wouldn't take my Canadian no claims into account, despite having written proof. I had to start over. Therefore, on a Volvo I now pay £330 per year. That's with 1 year no claims here.
Argh. Thats dumb. Why can I exchange my Canadian license for a British one, but not my no claims balance? That brings up another question... How do you prove to the UK that you passed your Canadian test on a manual? As I prefer to drive manual over automatic, so don't want to be restricted if I move to the UK. Worst case scenario i'll take the damn UK test and keep my Canadian license but that would be tedious. I haven't done the Canadian test yet, (im not 18 yet!) so if it's something I have to obtain before/during/right after the test I still have that option. But I plan on doing my test in a manual in order to be able to exchange my Canadian license for a full UK license instead of a restricted one.
Thanks
Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Argh. Thats dumb. Why can I exchange my Canadian license for a British one, but not my no claims balance?

That brings up another question... How do you prove to the UK that you passed your Canadian test on a manual? As I prefer to drive manual over automatic, so don't want to be restricted if I move to the UK.
the MTO will give you a letter stating you passed your test on a manual shift vehicle. Best to ask for this when you pass your test, otherwise it takes a while to get the letter

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
the MTO will give you a letter stating you passed your test on a manual shift vehicle. Best to ask for this when you pass your test, otherwise it takes a while to get the letter

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/
Thanks... Popular myth has said you will be restricted to driving auto transmission cars when exchanging your Cdn license for a British one, but as long as you have the MTO letter that you passed the test in a manual, it should be fine.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Yeah, you're theory's right with me too, I do have a relative in Australia LOL... Not that I speak to them, I doubt they even know me, but I know that they are there... And yes, triple nationality would be nice

I have thought on the Aus 417/Working holiday visa but the issue is if I go to uni for 4 years I can't go to Oz on a 417 and get a career-related job there, as no employer will want to employ you if your getting kicked out of the country in a year... (I had a thread in the Oz forum on this ... They told me that after the 417 runs out I can't apply to stay in Oz permanently, I must return to Malta/Canada)

Then again, after uni I may want a break from the rat-race and such, so a non-career job(s) in Oz for a year just travelling would be pretty nice IMO, and yeah possibly meet some fine Ozzie lady and end up staying down there

Still haven't ruled Oz out though, I correct myself from my first post
IMHO, you belong in the UK.

The area around Bristol is lovely. It's not far from Somerset where my father lived for many, many years. It's absolutely beautiful there. Bristol is a big town but not like London. You will also be close to Wales.

Lots of history and beauty in the southwest.

The British climate is a lot milder than the USA so probably a lot milder than Canada, too. It doesn't get quite so hot in the summer in certain parts but nor does it get so cold in winter - and snow disappears much faster. the southwest can be quite warm, too.

Good for you in planning so far in advance to get what you want out of life.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

If you are still only 18 then even after 7.5 years you'll still only be 25 years old. this has a major impact on car insurance. Under that age its common to find prices of £2/3,000 per year and although it does go down once you hit 25 you'd still be looking at £1000 plus for the first year.
My last vehicle before we left the UK cost £245 per year and that was for the maximum no claim bonus and at age 65.
to get an idea why not use one of the insurance comparison sites like Compare The Market™ | The Easier Way To Save. ? Here's a UK postcode you can use NG31 7TS.
it may well surprise you!

good luck for the future and I hope your plans all come to fruition.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 4:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The British climate is a lot milder than the USA so probably a lot milder than Canada, too
An excellent example of British understatement. You have to go to Siberia before you find anywhere in Europe with a worse climate than Alberta. Even Moscow is balmy in comparison.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by windsong
IMHO, you belong in the UK.
We shall see

The area around Bristol is lovely. It's not far from Somerset where my father lived for many, many years. It's absolutely beautiful there. Bristol is a big town but not like London. You will also be close to Wales.

Lots of history and beauty in the southwest.
Exactly, that was what I was thinking London is too big and expensive, but Bristol is a decent size, and yes being close to Wales will be interesting. Its also close enough to London for cheaper flights out of LHR/LGW.

The British climate is a lot milder than the USA so probably a lot milder than Canada, too. It doesn't get quite so hot in the summer in certain parts but nor does it get so cold in winter - and snow disappears much faster. the southwest can be quite warm, too.
I agree... Its definitely a lot milder than Canada. I followed the weather in Bristol over the winter compared to here in Ontario, and in Malta. In Bristol it was always above 0, and rarely any snow, and if there was it would be gone straight away due to the temp being above 0.

Good for you in planning so far in advance to get what you want out of life.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Editha
An excellent example of British understatement. You have to go to Siberia before you find anywhere in Europe with a worse climate than Alberta. Even Moscow is balmy in comparison.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

I seriously can't wait to experience the British climate again. While I will miss the warm, sunny summers that are here, I sure as heck won't miss the winters! Give me a more even temp any time - and, besides, if I want to see this warm weather again I can always go to Spain!
Old Jun 15th 2014, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, have you ever been to the UK?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by deepcpearl
To the OP, have you ever been to the UK?
Nope.