Why Retire in Malaysia?

Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:58 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by Hovite
I think you will find most murders are related to domestic violence. Personally I feel a lot safer in Malaysia than UK. My elder son was mugged at knifepoint in Watford in broad daylight. That would never happen in KK. As the saying goes There are lies, **** lies and statistics
Maybe not in KK. It certainly happens regularly in KL.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:04 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

AJW, thanks for the warning. I will take care when I visit KL. Bag snatches are very traumatic, Bakedbean. My wife suffered one when we visited Chinatown in London one year. We used to go there regularly but did not return for many years afterwards. I was also the victim of an attempted mugging in a Watford park. Every town/city has its areas into which it is unwise to stray.
However the subject was Why Retire In Malaysia? In my case it was because my Malaysian Chinese wife, of now 34+ years of marriage, asked me if we could and I said "Yes". I don't regret that despite what is happening in the East.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:13 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovite
However the subject was Why Retire In Malaysia? In my case it was because my Malaysian Chinese wife, of now 34+ years of marriage, asked me if we could and I said "Yes". I don't regret that despite what is happening in the East.
That's all gone very quiet in the news now. Did it all get sorted out (anyone)?

I still think Malaysia is a good place for retirement. I'm now into my 3rd year here. Now been here longer than I was in Thailand and, for me, Malaysia wins hands down (though Horses for Courses and all that).

It's a great visa, warm climate, pretty cheap (mostly), great food, good shopping, good healthcare/hospitals, and nice people. What more do you need?

Glad I didn't pick Cyprus or anywhere else in Europe, come to that.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:37 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

There is still some minor mopping up but essentially it is all over bar the shouting.

The MM2H was an inspiration and they keep making it better. I have a LTSVP and one day hope to get PR. Bakedbean there is nothing more needed (IMOT) but a few wants - here in Sabah at least. Most of them you already have in the west and it is just a matter of time, and population growth, before they head out here (Ikea, Aeon, Home Depot, Autobacs, Kinokuniya, etc.) Walking into a hardware store here is quaint and reminds me of the Two Ronnies Four Candles sketch - is a delightful experience and can be funny. Another reasons to retire here is that many of the statutes are based upon the Laws of England and Wales, e.g., property law, which should make life a little familiar. I think you could add Dubai to the list of 'glad I did not' - it was all the craze at one time.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Virilath is an unknown quantity at this point

I am married to a Malaysian, she wanted to retire to Malaysia and we arrived here 6 months ago. Her family (more than you can shake a stick at) are mostly in Kajang, near KL, so here we are 250km away on the east coast!

At the moment we're living Kampong style in a shack next to the beautiful South China Sea but we hope to have a proper house built on site before the end of this year. We can live comfortably on her NHS pension, what with the reasonable cost of food and petrol prices 1/3 of UK. The weather is cheerful, not grey and depressing like so many a Birmingham day, I can indulge my photography hobby with loads of colourful birds and amazing insects around and it is so peaceful and isolated here. The nearest traffic jams are 100km and more away and the view of the sea and surrounding trees is lovely.

Personally, the eating out experience is not a plus point, as I'm not keen on rice and don't enjoy chilli and bones in everything, but I do like the wide range of fruits available (even durian). I miss being able to order things over the Internet, as Malaysia is not a country to which the likes of Amazon will deliver. Take a tip from me and conclude business such as selling shares BEFORE leaving your UK address, to avoid a mountain of problems, as Malaysia is also considered a high risk as far as money laundering is concerned. Be prepared for frustrating and time consuming procedures and paperwork. Don't worry though, Malaysia boleh and you will get there in the end. Since you are retiring, hopefully you will have plenty of time, so relax and don't let things stress you out.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, I am a Brit, married to a Malaysian, resident in Dubai and own property in Malaysia so can fully understand and agree with all the previous comments. In short:
UK/Europe I try to be proud to beBritish/European but it is getting harder all the time and I have no intention of ever returning to UK to live - which I get no pleasure from saying.
Dubai: Necessary to live here at the moment for work. My company is superb to work for and we have a nice villa but we are here for work not pleasure.
Malaysia: We have spent quite a bit of time in Malaysia in recent years and my MM2H application is well underway. I find the people friendly and helpful, the cost of living relatively cheap, the climate superb and the overall experience thoroughly relaxing and peaceful. As soon as we can afford to retire there permanently we will do so and I intend to apply for PR.

Last edited by rusty747; Apr 24th 2013 at 2:59 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:42 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Virilath and welcome to the forum . Sounds like you're enjoying life on the East coast.

Rusty, I didn't think that PR was an option if you were an MM2Her? Or is that an option if you are married to a Malaysian?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Virilath is an unknown quantity at this point

Bakedbean,

I am married to a Malaysian, have obtained a five year visa (that says I'm not allowed to work in Malaysia) and intend to go for Permanent Resident status at the end of the five years, when I understand that if I've been good I should get a special red Identity Card.

Last edited by Virilath; Apr 25th 2013 at 2:21 pm. Reason: Tortology and unnecessary abbreviation
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, until very recently if you are married to a Malaysian, you couldn't actually apply for MM2H and the only option was the Long Term Stay Visit Pass (previously known as a spouse pass). I say very recently because I believe they (Malaysia) changed the law and a spouse CAN now apply for MM2H but (again only my understanding) you do not qualify for importing a car duty/tax free. Also, until a few years ago, only female foreigners married to a Malaysian male could apply, but that has now been relaxed so that a Malay female married to a male foreigner (i.e. me, Rusty and presumably Virilath). Incidentally, my (6 month) visa also does not allow me to be employed!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
That's all gone very quiet in the news now. Did it all get sorted out (anyone)?
I believe so, BB, although the last I heard (which was last week) the (Malaysian) special forces were still finalising the mopping up. The leader (I think he is a nephew of the Sultan of Sulu) was charged with trying to wage war against the King (effectively treason, I believe) and one of the possibly penalties is death! There was mention in the paper about a second charge which also carries the death penalty.

The problem at the moment is that there is so much news about the election in the papers that I sometimes find it difficult to pick out any other news!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
I believe so, BB, although the last I heard (which was last week) the (Malaysian) special forces were still finalising the mopping up. The leader (I think he is a nephew of the Sultan of Sulu) was charged with trying to wage war against the King (effectively treason, I believe) and one of the possibly penalties is death! There was mention in the paper about a second charge which also carries the death penalty.

The problem at the moment is that there is so much news about the election in the papers that I sometimes find it difficult to pick out any other news!
from the other side of the Sulu sea. The larger of the terrorist groups here MNLF claim that they have landed an additional armed 1000 experienced fighters(read this as armed thugs and extorionists) in the conflict area and that they are being housed and fed by local sympathisers (if true they have at gun point taken over homes and are raiding the pantry whilst the owners are too scared to resist) So much Bola Bola this side it will always compete with Boleh Boleh One thing for sure there is no official support this side for what has happened. There is no doubt that some who are trying to interfere with the elections due here(May13th) have funded this tragic stupidity. We arrive On May 9th in KK and just hope they have it all cleared up by then.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
As I understand it, until very recently if you are married to a Malaysian, you couldn't actually apply for MM2H
I don't know what the official line is currently but I do know of someone married to a Malaysian who got MM2H. Mind you, as I understand it, I don't think the person mentioned the spouse in the application
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Virilath
Bakedbean,

I am married to a Malaysian, have obtained a five year visa (that says I'm not allowed to work in Malaysia) and intend to go for Permanent Resident status at the end of the five years, when I understand that if I've been good I should get a special red Identity Card.
Yep, noted. Good for you.

My question was aimed at Rusty, who said he is married to a Malaysian, and also said that his MM2h application was under way.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting posts above. I am using Joystay in KL as my MM2H agent and they are fully aware of my domestic situation. My only dilemma (which is a little complicated) is as follows:

Ideally I would like to get a 10 year MM2H visa now and after 10 years (or less) swap for a PR. The problem is that I have to live in Malaysia for 5 years before I can apply for PR which means that in less than 5 years from now I will have to live full time in Malaysia. That may be a little too soon. So, the option would be to renew the MM2H visa after 10 years and apply for PR when I have 5 years continuous residency. The problem with that is that at the 10 year renewal I will almost certainly have retired and (being a trusting soul) have already put most of our savings into my wife's sole name - she is Bumi and gets a good rate at Maybank/ASB - and I may then struggle to meet the financial requirements for MM2H renewal with regard to income in my sole name. So I may have to trade the MM2H renewal for a LSVP or whatever they are calling it then. The other option, of course, is to defer application for MM2H but that runs the risk of the rules changing. Thoughts anyone?
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:13 pm

My thought is Do you actually need to be PR? Just carry on with MM2H and go the Fixed Deposit route. That way you only have to prove your income at the start, not at any renewal time. Mmmm might have to borrow some money back from your wife to do the Fixed Deposit

Anyway I'm sure that Yvonne at Joy Stay will give you good advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.