Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Was Malaysia Your First Choice As A Place To Retire?

Was Malaysia Your First Choice As A Place To Retire?

Old Oct 8th 2014, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Malaysia Your First Choice As A Place To Retire?

Hi there BB! Just got back to BE after a long absence and since the other forum has closed shop now ;-/ Anyways I have not been actively posting there for a long time though I've enjoyed reading all the postings. Just hope it will reincarnate to some extent here to help those who seek information on MM2H program ;-)
Old Oct 8th 2014, 2:48 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Columbine . Well I don't think we will morph into a my2home but hopefully we can get a bit of info across for newbies. Of course it needs posters, not lurkers, to make that happen hehe. But BE comes up high on Google so should get a bit of expansion if we all plug away.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Hehehe I haven't been lurking here all these time till today ;0)
Old Oct 8th 2014, 3:09 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh I wasn't referring to you as a lurker quite a few people who just view as "guests" and don't post but maybe they'll get over their shyness
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Foodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BB,

Do you know if the Penang Makans and PSG coffee meet-ups are still on now that the forum is closed down? Thanks.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:42 am

Hi Foodi and welcome to the forum.

The Penang Support Group (PSG) continues. I and a few others set up the group 3 years ago. Actually, I am not particularly active in it these days, as I am quite busy with a few other things. (Penang is a busy place.)

Sue (Admin on BE) has very kindly set up a sub-forum for Retirement and MM2H on here. I don't think it will be as detailed as Scott's my2home site but it at least serves as somewhere for any of the MM2Hers to post. And, as always, forums are really what you make them. Forums need Posters to post. So, let's see how it goes.

So..... those active in PSG are very welcome to start up a topic in here and this can be a focal point to check for dates of meetups, if they wish. (I've now shifted this thread into the new section, by the way.)

I am aware that quite a few ex-posters of my2home also post on BE, so we have a head-start for organizing any meetups.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:44 am

Re Makans, again you (or anyone else) are very welcome to start a topic, pick a date and venue. Needs good parking, bus route etc, not too busy, plenty of tables.

Viva foodcourt has always worked as a good venue in the past as there is plenty of room for us all.

So...it's over to you......
Old Oct 9th 2014, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank You Sue and BB for giving the 'orphaned mm2h posters" a place to post ;-))
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Foodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BB for the info. I'm glad that the PSG coffee is still on. Regarding the Makan, I will let another member to start it up as I would not be able to participate frequently. With a school-age child, it's difficult to go out in the evening.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, Malaysia was our 1st choice;-)
Language, variety of food choices, not in the quake and volcanic zone, not in the Typhoon pathway, no nuclear energy stations, good roads from north to south, big towns and cities have almost all the shopping conveniences we need, availability of good sport and recreational clubs, we picked a city or town within 30 mins drive to an International airport and a major shopping centre.....mmm can't think of more on a Sunday morning ;-))
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

would never come back to M'sia ,or indeed any of Asia..not ever.just seriously dislike it all.flying back to civilization(UK) very soon.cant wait
Old Oct 13th 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kennyboy33
would never come back to M'sia ,or indeed any of Asia..not ever.just seriously dislike it all.flying back to civilization(UK) very soon.cant wait
Hello Kenny,

Perhaps you could tell us what went wrong for you to suddenly change your mind about Malaysia. On 25th July 2014, on another thread, you wrote the following:

"Who knows..we might return to rainy England one day.but the longer i'm here, the less likely that seems."
Old Oct 13th 2014, 2:39 pm

Wow that's a bit of a turnaround Kenny. Well, it happens sometimes and nothing wrong with moving countries. Hope everything goes good for you back in ol Blighty. None of us are tied to one country. Will you keep your house here?
Old Oct 14th 2014, 5:40 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kennyboy33
Hi Kenny,

Very sorry to hear moving to Malaysia hasn't worked out for you.
I think you said you moved to Sungai Petani. Do you think your location is a contributing factor to your dislike?
We live in Penang and enjoy having both local and expat friends. I'm wondering if Sungai Petani was too quiet for you. Did you make expat friends there? Or indeed local friends? Get bored?

How about waiting until winter's over before moving back? Who knows, you might change your mind!

JC3
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Was Malaysia Your First Choice As A Place To Retire?

Hi,
New to this site and have joined because the MM2H site disappeared

We chose Malaysia because of MM2H and the flexibility it allows us. We are retiring in a few months and, at present, don't intend to live anywhere -
We want to travel for as long as possible or as long as it makes us happy.

Because of the unlimited entry into Malaysia and the possibility of opening a bank account, we'll use Malaysia as a place "base" for renewing visas and collecting mail, etc.

As we don't see ourselves returning to Europe, we are hoping that one day we will come across a place we want to settle down in and hopefully that place will be in Malaysia

Only 6.5 months to go !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.