Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Was Malaysia Your First Choice As A Place To Retire?

Was Malaysia Your First Choice As A Place To Retire?

Old Nov 10th 2013, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Was Malaysia Your First Choice As A Place To Retire?

Malaysia still doesn't seem to be on the radar of most Westerners as an overseas location to retire in. Any thought on why?
A friend of mine moved to Cambodia for a year a couple of years ago, returned to Oz, then moved to Cambodia on a permanent basis. No interest in Malaysia at all. There are quite a community already in place there.
I imagine cost would be a factor, but many negatives moving to a less developed country as well.

Anyone thought of another Asian country prior to deciding on Malaysia?
Or any other continent for that matter. I never understand how Ecuador is constantly being rated as number one retiree country in recent times.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Malaysia Your First Choice As A Place To Retire?

No - Thailand was - probably Rayong, but many visits to both countries over the last few years changed my perspective. Many of the regulars on my Thai board claim they could never live in a country where Islam is the dominant religion, but they also spend a lot of time bitching about the Thai people - I dont believe 'Utopia' exists, but I've seen some bizarre recommendations, ranging from Colombia to certain African countries I wouldnt visit, much less live in.

Ultimately, you dont know what any city is like until you've lived there for at least 6 months (preferably 12 - a complete set of wet and dry seasons), but I've done two 3-month stints in Bangkok and I know I couldnt live there. Jakarta/Bandung ? Not while I still want to keep my marbles.

I noticed you've started a couple of other threads which are basically asking the same question - is Malaysia the 'right' choice ? I dont believe any of us can answer that for anyone else, but I'll have a much better handle on that question 12 months from now. I totally get that someone who has lived in a given location for years - or even decades - will have a very different perspective to a newcomer : just as Sydney is very different city to the one I grew up in, I expect KL is almost unrecognisable from the city my friend returned to when she finished her law degree in Adelaide in 1990.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbledonk
No - Thailand was - probably Rayong, but many visits to both countries over the last few years changed my perspective. Many of the regulars on my Thai board claim they could never live in a country where Islam is the dominant religion, but they also spend a lot of time bitching about the Thai people - I dont believe 'Utopia' exists, but I've seen some bizarre recommendations, ranging from Colombia to certain African countries I wouldnt visit, much less live in.

Ultimately, you dont know what any city is like until you've lived there for at least 6 months (preferably 12 - a complete set of wet and dry seasons), but I've done two 3-month stints in Bangkok and I know I couldnt live there. Jakarta/Bandung ? Not while I still want to keep my marbles.

I noticed you've started a couple of other threads which are basically asking the same question - is Malaysia the 'right' choice ? I dont believe any of us can answer that for anyone else, but I'll have a much better handle on that question 12 months from now. I totally get that someone who has lived in a given location for years - or even decades - will have a very different perspective to a newcomer : just as Sydney is very different city to the one I grew up in, I expect KL is almost unrecognisable from the city my friend returned to when she finished her law degree in Adelaide in 1990.
I've noticed a lot of bitching with regards to Thailand as well. I've come across several as well in Cambodia a few years back, that claimed Thailand was no longer a place they wished to be. Not always clear cut their reasoning though. Of course the ease with getting a long term Cambodian visa plays a part.

Malaysia being Muslim would not ne of concern to me. Perhaps certain aspects of the political scene in a detached sort of way but that wouldn't be a great concern at this time.

I have spent time in Malaysia but long ago and far removed from present reality there. I drifted away from the thought and went towards other destinations but some how landed back to Malaysia again.

Everywhere has changed over time. I can't believe just how expensive Perth has become. As has all Oz cities.

Of course you are right with regards Utopia. Be nice to get some of the more basic but necessary things met though for the advancing years.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

I could give you my opinion of those engaging in the bitchfest, but they made their choices and I'm making mine. I find your friend's choice particularly interesting - unless PP has improved tenfold since I was there in 2010, I couldn't see myself living there regardless of how much I had in the bank, and every other Barang at the airport looked very happy to be flying back to BKK.

Love it or hate it, the Big Mango remains the only city where I'm excited to hear the pilot tell passengers we are about to land - usually I'm just relieved that the flight is finally coming to an end.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour

Anyone thought of another Asian country prior to deciding on Malaysia?
Bizarrely we first thought of Singapore, as we were living and working there, but ended up having to move on (as is the life of the expat). It's now become rather expensive anyway.

I've probably written all this before but for us at the time, we had little time to research before retirement (long story) and it was a toss up between Malaysia and Thailand. We initially chose Thailand (Phuket) and lasted 2 and a half years there. We didn't really settle there. Lots of reasons why. Horses for Courses. It would suit some. It didn't really suit us.

Having retired, we then had a lot of time on our hands so did the job thoroughly. Visited Penang quite a few times then went for the MM2H visa. Now into our 4th year here. I still like it.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:54 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysia being Muslim would not ne of concern to me.
Malaysia is not Muslim. Islam is the "official" religion. End of story. Malaysia is a big country and you'll find each part of the country different.

Penang, for example, is majority Chinese (racially). The opposition party, DAP, is in charge, run by Lim Guan Eng, who is Chinese (obviously). You can get alcohol. There are bars and pubs. You can get pork. The Straits Mini Market does some fine back-bacon and home-made Lincolnshire sausages. Yes, there is some mosque noise. There are Malays (muslim) living here. There are Malaysian Indians. There are Malaysian Chinese. There are quite a few expats - both working and retired.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gobbledonk
I could give you my opinion of those engaging in the bitchfest, but they made their choices and I'm making mine. I find your friend's choice particularly interesting - unless PP has improved tenfold since I was there in 2010, I couldn't see myself living there regardless of how much I had in the bank, and every other Barang at the airport looked very happy to be flying back to BKK.

Love it or hate it, the Big Mango remains the only city where I'm excited to hear the pilot tell passengers we are about to land - usually I'm just relieved that the flight is finally coming to an end.
Actually my friend is in Siem Reap and appears to love it. She rents a fully furnished place with pool and all mod cons for $450 a month.
There seems to be a community of Barang living there and it would seem many are more involved in what's around them than some of the beached folk in PP.
The cost of living and easy yearly visa make it enticing for many.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Malaysia is not Muslim. Islam is the "official" religion. End of story. Malaysia is a big country and you'll find each part of the country different.

Penang, for example, is majority Chinese (racially). The opposition party, DAP, is in charge, run by Lim Guan Eng, who is Chinese (obviously). You can get alcohol. There are bars and pubs. You can get pork. The Straits Mini Market does some fine back-bacon and home-made Lincolnshire sausages. Yes, there is some mosque noise. There are Malays (muslim) living here. There are Malaysian Indians. There are Malaysian Chinese. There are quite a few expats - both working and retired.
I know, but was just responding to another post. Palau Penang in fact gives all appearances of being a separate state with its makeup.
More a reality check though crossing to Butterworth.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

I know, but was just responding to another post. Palau Penang in fact gives all appearances of being a separate state with its makeup.
More a reality check though crossing to Butterworth.
Butterworth property prices are much less expensive than Penang Island. Not cheap, but cheaper than Penang island.

Not much development in Butterworth but its getting loads of development since after the opposition led part DAP won for the second term.

Quite frankly I like it not because of the fact that its lead by Lim Guan Eng but truth be told that we over here in Butterworth seems to have been living in the dark ages under the BN led party.

At least nowadays roads are getting wider, and many new routes are on the way to ease traffic.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by roystevenung
Butterworth property prices are much less expensive than Penang Island. Not cheap, but cheaper than Penang island.

Not much development in Butterworth but its getting loads of development since after the opposition led part DAP won for the second term.

Quite frankly I like it not because of the fact that its lead by Lim Guan Eng but truth be told that we over here in Butterworth seems to have been living in the dark ages under the BN led party.

At least nowadays roads are getting wider, and many new routes are on the way to ease traffic.
Glad to hear it. Lim does seem popular and doing a good job. I keep an eye on the political situation there and followed the recent election with keen interest.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:11 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I started looking back in 2004 for a suitable country in which to retire. Because of the distances involved it’s natural to try and find as much information as possible on the internet and therein lie some significant problems.

Firstly, if you simply ask “best place to retire to” you immediately get hoovered up by the professional sites (such as International Living) or seemingly independent sites which are just a front for the major retirement websites.

Unsurprisingly, most of these cater for the North American market and therefore focus on those countries with cheap and easy travel to and from the USA. It used to be Costa Rica, then Panama and now Ecuador. By the time I started looking seriously, Costa Rica had already become too expensive and was cutting back it’s silverhair program so I looked very carefully at Panama, visiting it 3 times for a total of 9 weeks.

The tightening of the tax noose by the USA and the resulting Tax Information Exchange Agreement (TIEA) between the US and Panama has resulted in quite a few, if not most, American retirees returning to the US (as they were only really in Panama to avoid paying US taxes) and it has resulted in a large number of properties for sale in Panama. The shift in emphasis towards Ecuador is probably a result of there being no TIEA between the US and Ecuador as I can’t see any reason why an American would choose to live in this third world country if they still have to pay US taxes.

The European perspective on retirement abroad used to be Spain, Spain or Spain which is why the Spanish property bubble started in 1985 (and then spectacularly burst in 2008). OK some people went to France but it was a relatively small percentage in comparison. With property prices still falling in Spain few people would consider moving there at the moment which is why Portugal has jumped in with the offer of 10 year’s tax-free retirement for anyone settling there. The French appear to be retiring there in some numbers (Morocco used to be the country of choice for retiring French).

Thailand comes up on many European’s radar and I assume on Antipodean’s radar as well. It would be interesting to know how many couples choose Thailand for retirement – there are obvious attractions for a single man but I think these probably come at quite a price. One has only to read Phuket News to get a pretty quick impression of what goes on in Thailand and I think this must be pretty demoralising on a long term basis.

Most Asian countries, Thailand included, make little or no effort to legislate for the foreign retirees who continually find themselves struggling with a system designed uniquely for locals.

Malaysia is the exception to this in providing an excellent program but sets the bar rather high and limits the number of retirees who can take up this option. In fact, it is not really marketed as a retirement program at all but more, as its name implies, a secondary residence program (albeit with significant tax advantages for retirees).

As has already been mentioned, Malaysia is perceived by the great majority as a Muslim country and for this reason it is not really considered as a retirement destination. Everyone (and I mean everyone) I have talked to about my intention to retire to Penang has expressed this incorrect view. Oddly, most of these people then ask me why I don’t go to Bali instead!!!

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Nov 18th 2013 at 3:15 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

@invinoveritas
Your post #11 is interesting as I did a similar review many years ago...visited Costa Rica and Panama...also Mexico Ajjijic....and I agree with you. Some places didn't pan out as one would have hoped!
MM2H is still one of the best.
But I'm interested in your last statement about Bali....why was it odd those people suggested Bali?
I currently live in Bali, and enjoy, but the visa and property purchase is not so easy as MM2H.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
@invinoveritas
But I'm interested in your last statement about Bali....why was it odd those people suggested Bali?
I currently live in Bali, and enjoy, but the visa and property purchase is not so easy as MM2H.
Perhaps because Bali is part of Indonesia, and Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the World? 'Those people' are questioning "why Malaysia?" because their perception is that Malaysia is a Muslim country.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
Perhaps because Bali is part of Indonesia, and Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the World? 'Those people' are questioning "why Malaysia?" because their perception is that Malaysia is a Muslim country.
Thanks for the explanation. I see the irony to that statement now
Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:57 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
Why Bali?
Perhaps because about 85% of Balinese people adhere to Balinese Hinduism. Only about 13% of the population there follow Islam.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Nov 19th 2013 at 9:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.