Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Warm winters work not an issue, where?

Warm winters work not an issue, where?

Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:02 am
Just Joined

jwray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Warm winters work not an issue, where?

Hi, I am looking for some advice on the best place to buy a property to live either fulltime or part of the year (UK winter).

My personal circumstances are married with a 1-year-old income about £60K net plus dividends and the business is Uk Ltd. Most of company income US$. Currently live in Glasgow. Work from home so just need a broadband connection (run an online newspaper). Do not require any work in local area.

So looking for somewhere fairly family safe, good healthcare (daughter has Down Syndrome and although mild so no health issues and probably go to normal school, probably need somewhere big enough to have some special needs facilities or other kids plus you never know what will happen), good UK winter climate and not too isolated. Also wife is British but Chinese origin (moved when toddler) so don't want anywhere with lots of rascism.

Also looking for somewhere with good community and lots of families. Also need broadband and reliable power supplies.

Would also want to be able to afford a home near a beach (does not need to be on it) with own pool.

I would also consider relocating the company and could emply a few locals...if the corp tax was better than UK. Otherwise anywhere will I not get hit with double tax.

A bonus would be somewhere my wife could also work locally, but not needed.

I have ruled out Australia, lived there for a year in mid 90's but too far as wife is close to large family. Plus it is a bit isolated from rest of the world. Also I found when I worked there that quite a lot of rascism compared with most of UK. Though I did work on building sites.

Looking at Barbados, Aruba or at worst somewhere southern Europe...though climate not so hot in winter.

Barbados looks good, bit pricey for houses and they all seem to have iron bars over the windows....travel time not sure...15 hours? Also in hurricane zone?

Aruba, cheap houses (US$400K seems to get you a 3 or 4 bedroom with pool) cost of living I think about same as UK. However, it seems to take ages to get there. Glasgow - Amsterdam Amsterdam to Aruba, circa 20 hours all in I think. Also clean water, good healthcare and I hear very safe. Also 5 hours to US so plenty of travel opps. Has broadband and reliable electricity.

Both those places have Dengue I believe but not too bad I think...? Is Dengue a big risk for young children?

Anyway open to suggestions on possible locations that would suit.

Plan is to go to a few on brief break and then rent for 4 months on best one, before buying anything.

Many thanks

James

Last edited by jwray; Jul 5th 2006 at 6:23 am.