Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Yet another couple moving to Ireland

Yet another couple moving to Ireland

Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Dee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to all
Question Yet another couple moving to Ireland

Hi All,
This is our first post so we better introduce ourselves. We are Denise & Geoff from North Wales. We have been over to Ireland many times and are thinking of buying a smallholding . Geoff works on rotation so employment is not a problem, as you can imagine we have a few questions, so here goes.

1. We want a very rural area with no near neighbours if possible, no we are not bank robbers Geoff's hobby is ham radio so the antennas are not to everyones taste. What areas should we consider for good house prices low crime etc?

2.We have heard of the import tax if we bring a car with us, so can anyone suggest a good website to get prices on vehicles for sale in Eire, also how much is the road tax?

3. This is a smallholding specific question, in the UK you have to register your smallholding and get a number, is there a similar system in Ireland?

4. Do you have to pay rates or council tax on your property?, this would be our main and only home, as we are selling up in Wales.

5. Last question may be a bit prickly subject, as being born and bred in Wales, we know the local feeling of outsiders buying property in Wales. As fellow Celts would be be excepted into the community or is there a similar feeling against none locals buying up property in Eire?

Any help anyone can give on any of our questions would be great.

Cheers
Denise & Geoff
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future
Default Re: Yet another couple moving to Ireland

Originally Posted by Dee&Geoff
Hi All,
This is our first post so we better introduce ourselves. We are Denise & Geoff from North Wales. We have been over to Ireland many times and are thinking of buying a smallholding . Geoff works on rotation so employment is not a problem, as you can imagine we have a few questions, so here goes.

1. We want a very rural area with no near neighbours if possible, no we are not bank robbers Geoff's hobby is ham radio so the antennas are not to everyones taste. What areas should we consider for good house prices low crime etc?

2.We have heard of the import tax if we bring a car with us, so can anyone suggest a good website to get prices on vehicles for sale in Eire, also how much is the road tax?

3. This is a smallholding specific question, in the UK you have to register your smallholding and get a number, is there a similar system in Ireland?

4. Do you have to pay rates or council tax on your property?, this would be our main and only home, as we are selling up in Wales.

5. Last question may be a bit prickly subject, as being born and bred in Wales, we know the local feeling of outsiders buying property in Wales. As fellow Celts would be be excepted into the community or is there a similar feeling against none locals buying up property in Eire?

Any help anyone can give on any of our questions would be great.

Cheers
Denise & Geoff
Hi Denise and Geoff,
We followed a similar path 18 years ago (now retired to France).

The following are some suggestions, but I'm sure others can give more up to date info.

1) If looking for rural, then basically the west of Ireland. We moved to West Cork but I gather places like Donegal are fairly 'empty'.

House prices have rocketed over the last 20 years and although they are falling, they are falling from a high level. Nowadays, any farmer will put a high price on a ruin that could be redevloped for a building plot.

2) If you bring your only car over there should be no import tax to pay. Subsequent cars, if newish have a high tax to pay. Cars are v. expensive to buy in Ireland, so it may be cheaper to bring a car from UK and pay the tax.

3) We did not have to register our smallholding. I believe you only need to register if you wish to get involved in EU grants etc.

4) We are English and had no difficulty with the large majority of local people.
The odd miserable beggar who resented us probably didn't get on with his Irish neighbours either. Not sure if being Welsh would particularly alter this situation. In Ireland we did not come across the well publicised problems some incomers into Wales have found. Irish speakers although always willing to promote their language didn't force it on people like us.

Finally, you need to think about internet access, it can be very poor in the local areas. If you find a likely spot, it might be worth checking if there is a community internet access.

Some of this info may be a little outdated so please check, and good luck!

snoopy

e.t.a. there isn't any council tax, there was talk of bringing it in, but apparently none so far.

Last edited by snoopycat; Jul 19th 2010 at 8:41 am.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Dee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to allDee&Geoff is a name known to all

Hi Snoopycat,
Thanks forn the great info, we are in France at the moment in 85 Vendee in West France. We was going to try the smallholding idea out here, but have found the language barrier to be a problem, we have tried to learn french, but it just will not stay in our heads.

Denise was also home sick so we decided it had to be Wales, then we saw the price of a fairly rubbish smallholding there, then someone on the forum said we should try Southern Ireland, so we cast our net further and Dee has fallen in love with a place near Cork, so hence all our questions, it all hinges on if I land this new contract, plus we got to sell our home as well, so it could all go wrong.

Thanks for the tip on the internet, I need the net for work, so it is vital we could get a good connection, so better check that out to.

Thanks for the info on intergration, we did not think there would be a problem, as I work in the oil industry we have lived in many cultures and got on with everyone, we find as long as you respect the local customs/religion and are friendly, we get on well, I have always said, I don't care what colour your skin or religion you are in, if you are ok with me, we will be with you, nd it has stood us in good stead.

So what made you decide on France, the lovely weather maybe?

Thanks again
Denise & Geoff
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

Hi D and G

There's a coincidence, we are in Béziers! (34).
Just like us, we first looked at smallholdings over the border near Ludlow, but they were too pricey. A neighbour suggested West Cork, and we settled near Clonakilty.

After 17 years in Ireland we moved to France, as you say because of the sun for the old arthritis.

I'm sending you a p.m. (private message)
regards,

snoopy
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:35 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopycat
Hi D and G

There's a coincidence, we are in Béziers! (34).
Just like us, we first looked at smallholdings over the border near Ludlow, but they were too pricey. A neighbour suggested West Cork, and we settled near Clonakilty.

After 17 years in Ireland we moved to France, as you say because of the sun for the old arthritis.

I'm sending you a p.m. (private message)
regards,

snoopy
Snoop... you could of taken the rain with you.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Snoop... you could of taken the rain with you.
I'd commit a crime for a bit of Irish drizzle right now! l.o.l.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:32 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopycat
I'd commit a crime for a bit of Irish drizzle right now! l.o.l.
Ooh man rub it in

Its 28c in my home town, again!

Ha just looked, you've got heavy rain and 18c on Thursday... careful what you wish for!

Last edited by Londonuck; Jul 19th 2010 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Ooh man rub it in

Its 28c in my home town, again!

Ha just looked, you've got heavy rain and 18c on Thursday... careful what you wish for!
I would pray for 18c and heavy rain,we got 34-36 this week,and no wind to cool us orf. I am sitting here in my extra-vent "Y" fronts with the fridge door open and the dog panting cold air over me. None of you will get any sleep tonight teehee.....
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:51 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
I would pray for 18c and heavy rain,we got 34-36 this week,and no wind to cool us orf. I am sitting here in my extra-vent "Y" fronts with the fridge door open and the dog panting cold air over me. None of you will get any sleep tonight teehee.....
Policia have been informed. As have Interpol and Trinny & Susannah.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Policia have been informed. As have Interpol and Trinny & Susannah.
can understand the policia being informed,it has happened before due to a misunderstanding re me and having no clothes on in the supermarket...but trinny and susanna? not my style at all mate. think nora batty,her of the plump legs and ruffled stockings,or ena sharples with the hair-net. now THERE is a pair of wimmen to stir the blood.