Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Co Kerry?

Cost of living in Co Kerry?

Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

C_nolan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cost of living in Co Kerry?

Hi all,

I'm really hoping to relocate to County Kerry this September..along with my hubby and 5 children..can't take the city life anymore!! I would be really grateful if anyone could offer any advice and give me an idea of the monthly costs for household expenses..electricity, gas or oil, also broadband?? We were thinking of the tralee area, would we be able to get a decent internet connection in a rural area? Apologies if this has been covered lots before.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:32 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Co Kerry?

Originally Posted by C_nolan
Hi all,

I'm really hoping to relocate to County Kerry this September..along with my hubby and 5 children..can't take the city life anymore!! I would be really grateful if anyone could offer any advice and give me an idea of the monthly costs for household expenses..electricity, gas or oil, also broadband?? We were thinking of the tralee area, would we be able to get a decent internet connection in a rural area? Apologies if this has been covered lots before.

hello!!

Where are you now? the UK?

Not to put you off, but most of my family still lives in the republic and EVERYTHING is expensive...makes England look cheap...taxes are through the roof...

I hope a local will come along and set me straight...but I'd throughly research the move before you commit..
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Cost of living in Co Kerry?

Hi,
Yes, we're in Birmingham at the moment. Any idea of prices of utilities compared to the UK? I am really trying to figure the ins and outs of everything before i make a move..i like to plan ahead.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:48 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Yes, we're in Birmingham at the moment. Any idea of prices of utilities compared to the UK? I am really trying to figure the ins and outs of everything before i make a move..i like to plan ahead.

This site looks useful...

http://www.irishlinks.co.uk/electric...oil-prices.htm

The internet is [probably your best resource until an Irish person comes along..which hopefully they will..
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
You say you don't like city life ... any particular reason why that makes you want to live in a different country (with pros and cons)? You could probably find somewhere much closer to home.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:55 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Everything is pretty much more expensive, hence why we all used to go up to Northern Ireland to do our shopping. Books for kids at school have to be paid for and of course no NHS in Ireland so private medical insurance is a must. I'd really look into it before deciding. Ireland is a wonderful place to live but it hits you hard in the pocket.

Last edited by Londonuck; Jul 22nd 2010 at 6:57 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You say you don't like city life ... any particular reason why that makes you want to live in a different country (with pros and cons)? You could probably find somewhere much closer to home.
The reason is that i grew up in the countryside and always wanted to move back...and give my children the upbringing i had but there is nothing affordable in any rural areas in the UK...Also after visiting RoI several years ago..i would love to live there
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

I can see where you are coming from with your questions...in the uk there are so many taxes, rates,water rates,electricity bills,gas bill,telephone bills,bill bills...so a move to a country that doesnt levy so much on you is probably a wise decision.
I don't think there are general house rates in the republic,or water rates but I do believe they are coming. As you have been told already,the cost of living in the republic is high. My brother came to stay with me in Spain last year and he was amazed he could buy a bottle of bacardi for 12 euros. It cost 35 euros in the republic. as also stated,a lot of people do their shopping in the north. But I expect proximity to the north would be an advantage there.
Think it over carefully then go with your head not your heart. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much everyone..your advice was most helpful.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

cissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome ,
I have live in ROI since last oct, and yes it cost a lot to live here .
I live in east Cork ,rent where I live runs from 600 to a 1000 a month ,
the cost in Kerry won't be a lot diffent from where I live .
gas runs me and my husband a lone runs about 150.00 in winter and we burn coal for most of our heat just keep the gas bill down .
lights run about 150.00 to 180.00 a month and the internet though eircom 49.00 amonth to 79.00 a month and sky t.v. runs about 50.00 without all the channals on it .
the high price things here are food ,drink and taxes and there is a lot high taxes every thing here.
Please don't get me wrong I love living here but it sure cost alot to live here,hope you have good job. my husband is from the U.K. and
myself I am american I hope this helps