Reload this Page >

Working in Ireland for US company

Working in Ireland for US company

Old Aug 25th 2014, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

CatherinePhoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Ireland for US company

Hello -

I'm in similar situation - a UK (and now Irish) citizen almost married (this weekend!) to a Canadian/US green card holder (applying for his citizenship). We already gave up on living in the UK and spent a couple of months in Germany. Our plan is to move to Ireland. He is working remotely for a US company/paying US taxes/being a US resident... so far he has been contracting but negotiating a full time contract.

I wondered if you got the bottom about rules on working for a US company remotely whilst in Ireland? I know in the UK it is not ok, but it was ok whilst we were in Germany as long as he didn't interfere with the German job market. His company is complaining that he will need a visa to work in Ireland and we are arguing with them about it --- once we get the Stamp 4 it will certainly be fine but we feel we have 90 days of residency in Ireland as in germany and there shouldn't be a problem with him continuing to work remotely during this time.

I really hope you worked things out and would love to hear any tips about this!
Old Aug 25th 2014, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SS through Ireland & working for US employer

Originally Posted by CatherinePhoenix
Hello -

I'm in similar situation - a UK (and now Irish) citizen almost married (this weekend!) to a Canadian/US green card holder (applying for his citizenship). We already gave up on living in the UK and spent a couple of months in Germany. Our plan is to move to Ireland. He is working remotely for a US company/paying US taxes/being a US resident... so far he has been contracting but negotiating a full time contract.

I wondered if you got the bottom about rules on working for a US company remotely whilst in Ireland? I know in the UK it is not ok, but it was ok whilst we were in Germany as long as he didn't interfere with the German job market. His company is complaining that he will need a visa to work in Ireland and we are arguing with them about it --- once we get the Stamp 4 it will certainly be fine but we feel we have 90 days of residency in Ireland as in germany and there shouldn't be a problem with him continuing to work remotely during this time.

I really hope you worked things out and would love to hear any tips about this!
How long as he been residing outside the US? Having US residency means just that...you are a US resident and are not living elsewhere in the world.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How long as he been residing outside the US? Having US residency means just that...you are a US resident and are not living elsewhere in the world.
He is still a us resident making tourist length visits to Europe to see me. We spent 2 months in germany but tracking days carefully.He has been a resident 15 years with bank and address there. So first he is going to apply for us citizenship but once we have that we want to change residency to ireland based on being my spouse. The key question is confirming he can still work remotely for a us company whilst that is in progress
Old Aug 25th 2014, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

He is still a us resident making tourist length visits to Europe to see me. We spent 2 months in germany but tracking days carefully.He has been a resident 15 years with bank and address there. So first he is going to apply for us citizenship but once we have that we want to change residency to ireland based on being my spouse. The key question is confirming he can still work remotely for a us company whilst that is in progress

Sorry I'm a little confused...are you worried about the Irish authorities or the US? If you want to know from a US perspective you should post in the US Immigration forum...US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas - British Expats.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

The issue we have is his US company being unwilling for him to live and work in ireland because they think he needs a visa - this is to do remote work/telecommute for a usa company whilst living in Ireland. In the uk you can't do that unless you have a visa. But in germany it was fine if it was for less than 90 days after which point you need residency card. Trying to get clear what rules are in ireland for remote working.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The issue we have is his US company being unwilling for him to live and work in ireland because they think he needs a visa - this is to do remote work/telecommute for a usa company whilst living in Ireland. In the uk you can't do that unless you have a visa. But in germany it was fine if it was for less than 90 days after which point you need residency card. Trying to get clear what rules are in ireland for remote working.
Northern or Southern Ireland? If Northern this is the correct forum...if Southern I will move this thread to the appropriate forum.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Southern ireland but I hijacked someone else's thread as seemed connected....just getting started on this so any help putting questions in the right place appreciated
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Ireland for US company

As a US citizen he'll be required to file taxes in the US in addition to filing them in Ireland.