Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Applying for Irish passport through Irish parent

Applying for Irish passport through Irish parent

Old Aug 26th 2014, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Irish passport through Irish parent

Hello all, long story short I have a British passport, I'm a US Permanent resident but for personal reasons I'd like an Irish passport. My father is Irish, born and lives in Mayo however I've not been in contact with him for 20 years, I'm 21 right now and would like to apply however I think I'd need his birth cert as proof which obviously I don't have, I do however have my own birth cert that lists him as being born in the Irish Republic, is this proof enough?

Another option is that my grandmother on my mothers side is also Irish, born in Westmeath, could I do it through her?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:16 pm
Banned

NEWCOMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for Irish passport through Irish parent

Originally Posted by Natonstan
Hello all, long story short I have a British passport, I'm a US Permanent resident but for personal reasons I'd like an Irish passport. My father is Irish, born and lives in Mayo however I've not been in contact with him for 20 years, I'm 21 right now and would like to apply however I think I'd need his birth cert as proof which obviously I don't have, I do however have my own birth cert that lists him as being born in the Irish Republic, is this proof enough?

Another option is that my grandmother on my mothers side is also Irish, born in Westmeath, could I do it through her?

Thanks in advance for any help
As your father was born in the Isle of Ireland, you will need a first passport application form from the in the US (I assume you are living there). You will need a copy of his birth certificate (long version) from the Irish Birth registry before you make an application.

As you were also born I assume outside of Ireland, then you will need to be formally registered as a Foreign Birth (on the Irish Embassy records in US) and by doing this also ensures that any children that you have can also apply for Irish Passports (by applying for a FBR) after you have got your passport since Irish is through descent.

All the rules are here.

Irish citizenship through birth or descent
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NEWCOMO
As your father was born in the Isle of Ireland, you will need a first passport application form from the in the US (I assume you are living there). You will need a copy of his birth certificate (long version) from the Irish Birth registry before you make an application.

As you were also born I assume outside of Ireland, then you will need to be formally registered as a Foreign Birth (on the Irish Embassy records in US) and by doing this also ensures that any children that you have can also apply for Irish Passports (by applying for a FBR) after you have got your passport since Irish is through descent.

All the rules are here.

Irish citizenship through birth or descent

According to the link I am under category C, which makes me an Irish Citizen as I was born to an Irish Citizen, according to that I don't have to register beforehand as I'm already a Citizen?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your father was born in Ireland then you are already eligible for Irish citizenship - you only need to apply for your Irish passport - although you will need his full Irish birth certificate. Any children you have however will need to be entered in the Foreign Birth Register in order to receive Irish citizenship. Registering your children before their own children are born allows Irish citizenship to be passed on indefinitely.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your father was born in Ireland then you are already eligible for Irish citizenship - you only need to apply for your Irish passport - although you will need his full Irish birth certificate. Any children you have however will need to be entered in the Foreign Birth Register in order to receive Irish citizenship. Registering your children before their own children are born allows Irish citizenship to be passed on indefinitely.
That's how I read it too, thanks for confirming that