Water Debacle....

Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water Debacle....

Limerick residents told tap water may be undrinkable for a year and a half

Hundreds of residents on the north side of Limerick city might not be able to drink their tap water for up to a year as Irish Water works to eliminate elevated lead levels.

Some 356 houses in Kileely were issued with notices yesterday warning them not to drink the water or use it for preparing food or diluted drinks, including baby formula feeds and ice cubes.

The alert came less than three weeks after 400 homes in nearby Ballynanty were put on similar notice after tests carried out at a number of homes showed lead levels above the statutory limit for lead in drinking water.

Independent.ie

Anyone moving to Ireland soon, consider your dependence on Mains Water, plus add into the cost of living and convenience having to purchase bottled water to drink. Or boil kettles (I worked out each boil of half full kettle costs 40cent, adds up when you think about it - if purchasing a house, that has septic tank/well, check that the householder registered the septic tank prior to jan 2013 - if not, and any inspection is subsequently carried out, you are liable for the full whack - registered tanks will be able to get a grant to help with any costs. After the installation of water meters to charge you for water you cannot drink, the next cash cow will be the disposal of your water, that you couldn't drink...
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water Debacle....

Originally Posted by taragreen
Limerick residents told tap water may be undrinkable for a year and a half

Hundreds of residents on the north side of Limerick city might not be able to drink their tap water for up to a year as Irish Water works to eliminate elevated lead levels.

Some 356 houses in Kileely were issued with notices yesterday warning them not to drink the water or use it for preparing food or diluted drinks, including baby formula feeds and ice cubes.

The alert came less than three weeks after 400 homes in nearby Ballynanty were put on similar notice after tests carried out at a number of homes showed lead levels above the statutory limit for lead in drinking water.

Independent.ie

Anyone moving to Ireland soon, consider your dependence on Mains Water, plus add into the cost of living and convenience having to purchase bottled water to drink. Or boil kettles (I worked out each boil of half full kettle costs 40cent, adds up when you think about it - if purchasing a house, that has septic tank/well, check that the householder registered the septic tank prior to jan 2013 - if not, and any inspection is subsequently carried out, you are liable for the full whack - registered tanks will be able to get a grant to help with any costs. After the installation of water meters to charge you for water you cannot drink, the next cash cow will be the disposal of your water, that you couldn't drink...
I wouldn't worry too much and this is just one small area. I never drank tap water in my life, be it UK, Germany or here and don't know anybody who does. I'm also glad that the water charge will come, so people stop wasting water. Apparently we have enough rain, so there are many cheap alternatives.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Water Debacle....

Undrinkable water for the last 14 years - but we still have to pay water charges | Irish Examiner

Also areas in Roscommon, I'm sure other readers could share other stories too. Just thought it worth mentioning, as a lot of the peeps on here are concerned with the cost of living :-)