Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving from South London to Mayo by 2015, continued.........

Moving from South London to Mayo by 2015, continued.........

Old Aug 15th 2014, 10:39 am
Just Joined

bigb1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving from South London to Mayo by 2015, continued.........

Hello again, its been a while, Sept 2011 I think..........

Just an update from my previous post all those years ago.....

A lot has happened here and glad to say that the sale of the house in London is going ahead in October!
With many, many discussions about the move over the last few years we have chosen this time to put the house on the market, our son is of the perfect age for the transition, the prices in Mayo are still low along with a host of other personal reasons and the better news is that its gone up in value by over £80k (around 100,000 Euros) in those few years.
We have flown over a lot in the last year viewing properties and on other business to make are arrival much more easier. We have formed a great relationship with two local estate agents who regularly email us with new properties and information on others for sale.

All going well we should be in Mayo after the new year (mid Jan) so I had better get the uncle to fire up the heating in my mothers holiday home before we arrive. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

The job front maybe looking hopeful too. We use a supplier here in the UK and are talking to them every day. They have a branch in Castlebar. They have spoken to the Castlebar branch on my behalf and the manager of the branch called me in to have a "chat" when I next touch down in Knock. Whos knows?

That's it for now...................

Take care people.

Brian.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from South London to Mayo by 2015, continued.........

Originally Posted by bigb1983
Hello again, its been a while, Sept 2011 I think..........

Just an update from my previous post all those years ago.....

A lot has happened here and glad to say that the sale of the house in London is going ahead in October!
With many, many discussions about the move over the last few years we have chosen this time to put the house on the market, our son is of the perfect age for the transition, the prices in Mayo are still low along with a host of other personal reasons and the better news is that its gone up in value by over £80k (around 100,000 Euros) in those few years.
We have flown over a lot in the last year viewing properties and on other business to make are arrival much more easier. We have formed a great relationship with two local estate agents who regularly email us with new properties and information on others for sale.

All going well we should be in Mayo after the new year (mid Jan) so I had better get the uncle to fire up the heating in my mothers holiday home before we arrive. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

The job front maybe looking hopeful too. We use a supplier here in the UK and are talking to them every day. They have a branch in Castlebar. They have spoken to the Castlebar branch on my behalf and the manager of the branch called me in to have a "chat" when I next touch down in Knock. Whos knows?

That's it for now...................

Take care people.

Brian.
Was before my time, but glad to hear of more people coming. Just put up a thread today, as I've noticed more people coming to Ireland. Where exactly are you looking to buy in Mayo?
Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Hi,
We have generally been looking between Ballina and Kilkelly.
Foxford, Straide, Bohola, kiltimagh, swinford areas. Plenty available too and some real bargains to be had.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Foxford, Straide, Bohola, kiltimagh, swinford areas. Plenty available too and some real bargains to be had.
Indeed a very good area for bargains. I like this house and area, although too pricey for me 495K, but probably negotiable
Callow, Foxford, Co. Mayo - Bungalow For Sale
Wonder if it includes 10 acres land?

Then you can get older cottages like this for 60K
Carrabeg Cottage Killasser, Swinford, Co. Mayo - Bungalow For Sale

Not bad really

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 15th 2014 at 12:32 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Funny enough we viewed a place in Carrowbeg but it wasn't what it said on the tin so to speak!!!
Newly refurbished meant throwing some paint around and badly layed cheap laminate flooring in all rooms!
The seller failed to notice damp areas throughout the property too!

The budget is around E180000 cash tops......

Just seen a property up for E74,950, 3 bed, restored outbuildings, 3.08 acres on donedeal.ie. Close to Claremorris. Seems great value but a survey will tell if there are any underlying issues.

Are you living in Mayo?
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

It does include the 10 acres of land.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Funny enough we viewed a place in Carrowbeg but it wasn't what it said on the tin so to speak!!!
Newly refurbished meant throwing some paint around and badly layed cheap laminate flooring in all rooms!
The seller failed to notice damp areas throughout the property too!

The budget is around E180000 cash tops......

Just seen a property up for E74,950, 3 bed, restored outbuildings, 3.08 acres on donedeal.ie. Close to Claremorris. Seems great value but a survey will tell if there are any underlying issues.

Are you living in Mayo?
Don't live in Mayo, but know the area quite well. Have had many amazing weekend trips enjoying the scenery around Mayo. I'm in Co. Galway, so it's not too far. I know the term newly refurbished can be misleading Just seen that property you mentioned and looks like good value. The survey will tell. Hope it works out.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Hi,
You'll be plastic culchies.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky
You'll be plastic culchies.
Ha ha, we will! Mind you, Culchieness is in the blood. All my mothers family are from Ballycastle and many of her brothers are farmers, same as my dads brothers, they all dabble in a bit of cattle and horses!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:54 am
Just Joined

RoseGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Moving from South London to Mayo by 2015, continued.........

Hi Brian, I too have noticed more people considering this ,including me (coming 'home' as it were) .... but do you mind me asking what you are doing about your pension etc as I am worried about this with the new changes? Also any effects from the leftovers of our house sales here?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RoseGreen
Hi Brian, I too have noticed more people considering this ,including me (coming 'home' as it were) .... but do you mind me asking what you are doing about your pension etc as I am worried about this with the new changes? Also any effects from the leftovers of our house sales here?
Hi RoseGreen,

Now im going to be brutally honest here and i dont want it to be taken the wrong way but i do not have to worry about a pension or leftovers from the house sale. I am in a fortunate position with regards propertys in and around London.
Work hard and reap the rewards i suppose, without sounding like a twat.