Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to Ireland! Help?

Hoping to move to Ireland! Help?

Old May 5th 2014, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

jennywalker92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hoping to move to Ireland! Help?

Hi there,

I've begun thinking about moving to ireland at some point in the next year, i currently live in Leeds in the UK and was wondering if anyone could give me a little more info.

I'm in my early 20s and from what I see Dublin would be an exciting place to live for a while. Does anyone know how prices of living/rent compare to England or how available jobs in shops/bars etc are?

Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Jenny
Old May 6th 2014, 6:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move to Ireland! Help?

Originally Posted by jennywalker92
Hi there,

I've begun thinking about moving to ireland at some point in the next year, i currently live in Leeds in the UK and was wondering if anyone could give me a little more info.

I'm in my early 20s and from what I see Dublin would be an exciting place to live for a while. Does anyone know how prices of living/rent compare to England or how available jobs in shops/bars etc are?

Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Jenny
Dublin is an comparatively expensive city compared to much of the UK.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...s&city2=Dublin

Conversely the Irish economy isn't particularly healthy at the moment. The unemployment rate in Ireland is 11.7% compared to 6.9% in the UK. Might be wise to go for a long weekend and see how easy it would be to find work before committing yourself.
Old May 11th 2014, 12:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And if you want to live on the island of Ireland, and still remain in the same country (United Kingdom), then perhaps consider Northern Ireland.
Old May 11th 2014, 12:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And if you want to live on the island of Ireland, and still remain in the same country (United Kingdom), then perhaps consider Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland also being one of the cheapest places in the UK to live.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

KirstieLeighAnn is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any cities in Ireland which cost around the same price to live in as the UK or even cheaper?
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KirstieLeighAnn
Are there any cities in Ireland which cost around the same price to live in as the UK or even cheaper?
Ireland only has a population of around 4.5 million, so there aren't too many cities. The main cities are Dublin, Cork. Limerick, Galway, Waterford are cities but would just be towns elsewhere:-). It's hard to compare really, but you pay for location just like the UK. Overall you get get more for your money when it comes to property in Ireland. Processed food and major food brands will be cheaper in the UK, because there's more competition and a lower minimum wage. Good quality food (fresh meat, free range eggs etc.) can be just as cheap, or even cheaper here.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

AnnaNBCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also been looking at moving to Dublin. From what I can see online you could fork out up to 850 Euros a month for rent and still only get a studio apartment or flatshare. Either I'm being cheap or I'm looking at the wrong sites :P
I traveled there a few years ago when I lived in London and I remember being a bit shocked at the price of things like coffee, and some grocery store items. Surprisingly I don't think I found eating out at restaurants to be all that bad, price-wise.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Limerick is where it's at, it's the new Dublin - sure there's a long way to go, but the opportunities in the city to start up your own business are huge. There's a real buzz in the town with the City of Culture 2014, and the Giant Granny visiting in september. You must really book at least a holiday, or a home stay for a month maybe - and immerse yourself in a place. Dublin would be great if you could walk into a 40k pa salaried job and a flatshare. Why not try www.airbnb.com, stay with a local host and you can pump them for info! I moved to Limerick two years ago, sold UK house and managed to buy somewhere mortgage free in a stunning location with a facillities that have enable me to start my own business. I'm on the Start Up Enterprise Allowance, which gave me six months on Jobseekers Allowance full rate with a Qu7alified Other, €250.00 per week. OH works two days a week, still trying to find full time. I worked in a supermarket for a year before a family situation meant I got sacked for taking to much time off sick - after 9 weeks disqual, i was then entitled to JB for rest of six months, I applied for start up pretty much straight away and with one or two meetings they accepted my business plan. Gotta say had more help here from the state than I ever had in uk for twenty years of work!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

I find eating out expensive, and sorry to say, usually dissapointing..! Unless it's somewhere very special. I'd rather spend the money at the local market on fresh ingredients and cook something special myself. Imported brands are expensive here, but I am an Aldi Convert and you can shop in there like it's 1980's prices. I wish I had shopped there in the UK, I might have saved a few bob!. You'll need a car, or to get lucky with somewhere near a bus stop.